Why become a member? ×

What are the chances?

Porkpie

Is it me? Maybe its just how I play!
We did 2 gigs last weekend, Friday night broke my E string, decided to use another bass on Saturday, and about 4 bars in, broke the E string. Then, towards the end of the second set, A string gone.
We do call our style Folk Punk, and we are a bit full on, but it was a bit of a suprise to go through that many big strings in quick succesion. Mind you, by the end of the Saturday gig I was getting pretty slick at the fast change!
Anyone else manage to get through strings like this?
Any suggestions for a sturdier string for the more thuggish player!? :)

I agree with some of the comments made already - if you're breaking strings (especially if you're doing it often) then you probably need a set-up... Unless you're doing anything extreme, it really shouldn't happen much, if at all, shouldn't it?

I've only had the misfortune of breaking a string on a gig once (touch wood!). No idea what the cause was, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't technique.

Cheers for the replies guys,

Protium; yes they all went at the bridge, but on two different basses, I think one had old strings which could account for it, grabbed it at the last minute as my regular fretted bass has an electrical fault. The other is a 3 month old fretless Pedulla Rapture wiyh Pedulla strings, set up both by Mike and then at Mansons. I am assuming the strings may be a duff set, changed the lot now and no probs at the last two gigs with it.

thisnameistaken; SWR 700 through newly acquired Barefaced T'Vintage, which IMHO is an awesome piece of kit, not only sounds fantastic whatever I play through it, but ultra light and V tough, and extremely loud!

Huwberry; Perhaps its more to do with with everyday stresses spilling over into my gigging and getting a little over enthusiastic! Until last week its been years since breaking anything!

It's surprisingly easy to break bass strings at the bridge, even with no issues with the bridge itself (I broke strings on every bass I owned). If you dig in too hard and pick down by the rear pickup they go eventually. It was usually E and A strings that I broke, maybe because I was attacking them at a more perpendicular angle, or with more strength, or because thicker strings are less flexible I don't know. Rarely broke the thinner ones though. For the record I was mostly using Rotos 66, sometimes DR Lo-Riders, and I changed strings regularly because I liked a fairly bright tone.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I went through a phase a few years back where I broke quite a few strings-mostly
E (including a heavy gauge flatwound) and A strings,with a couple of low B's for
good measure. All of them broke during loud Rock gig's where I was plucking too
hard. All snapped while I was playing fingerstyle too.

I think when I was breaking them regularly Id simply been using 'em too long and the core had broken down.
All that gunge that builds up (especially with palm muting), acids from sweat etc.. somethings gotta give!
If I wasnt paying €25 and up a set Id have replaced em sooner. Its not an issue for me anymore thankfully but Im trying out some more affordable
strings from webstrings.com now.. half price but Ive yet to string em up, been told theyre just fine!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='732374' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:01 PM']Been playing 9 years, haven't broken a string yet![/quote]

I think I broke one about eighteen years ago! Thankfully never broke one on a gig. Since then I've changed them as soon as one goes dead - cost me a damn fortune over the years, though...

Edited by Malc62