Why become a member? ×

Do Basses get better when they get older?

Timface

Nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be :P

That being said, I certainly would like to have been playing bass for 40 years using the same [i][insert the name of your preferred bass here][/i] so that it looked suitable worn in. Sadly as I've been playing only for around 8 years, and am badly afflicted by GAS at times, this has not been possible.

As such I have an older bass that somebody has very kindly worn in for me. I don't perceive it sounds any better or worse than its modern counterparts though. It has a nice feel to it but I guess a lot of this is in the mind of the player, maybe subconsciously I play it slightly differently too.

... But what, exactly, dictates a bass's age..? Years from manufacture..? Hours played..? In any particular style, or just played..? Is a NOS bass good because it's been in its case for 40 years..? Does playing only reggae count towards this ageing process, or is slapping an essential part of tone acquisition..? Once 'refinned', does it all have to be done again (ie, it's all in the paint...), or is the tone retained in the wood..? So many factors... :)

I once knew a player who had the same P bass since the 70s and played a gig nearly every week. It was OK but not a remarkable bass when I tried it. Also there was a large crack in the paint running roughly along the joint of the top part of a 3 piece body. The old Fender quality control thing again but he loved it, perfect marriage of musician and instrument.

[b] [size=4]Do Basses get better when they get older?[/size][/b]

[size=4]it all depends on the quality of the bass itself, how you set it up, treat it and look after it.
They won't do it by themselves.
And one man's dream bass is another man's firewood.[/size]

Edited by 12stringbassist