Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Hohner B2A 4-string headless

drewm

This is a really great little bass - Hohner B2A 4-string in red. I used to use it daily before I could drive, as it's so easy and light to carry around. Great for taking on the train or otherwise travelling with.

It plays very nicely - it's extremely fast. At the moment I have it strung up with light gauge strings and a super-low action, but really it'll take anything.

Reason for sale is that I don't play it much any more, and I just got a new Streamer, so the one-in-one-out rule has come into play :)

It's in good condition for its age, but has a small nick in the back of the neck (see last photo) - which had been patched up before I bought it.
It has a basic gig bag. I replaced the zip at one point. Weighs 4kg in total.

Update: the jack socket is a bit crackly and needs some attention, so I've dropped the price by £20.

Looking for offers around £250. I'm based in Maidenhead, Berkshire.

Here it is posing alluringly on my bed.

Edited by drewm

The one without the battery compartment etc is the passive B2 like I used to own.

Very reasonable price if you see how much some people are asking for them on ebay these days .....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/hohner-b2a-proffesional-bass_W0QQitemZ320480623508QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4a9e223b94"]B2A on eBay[/url] ... I sold my B2 for £180 ..... I wish I'd hung onto it now.....I'd have been quids in :)

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='drewm' post='730090' date='Jan 30 2010, 08:28 PM']Here it is posing alluringly on my bed.

[/quote]

Yes, I have arguments like that, too, but my wife usually lets me back in again after a few nights.

Great guitars - I love the concept but couldn't get my head around it - and a sexy red, too.

Battery in my B2A was in the electronic compartment and mine also had no XLR output.
Maybe mine was one of the first built, or vice versa, Hohner decided to reduce expenses removing compartment and XLR, no idea...

Edited by ialma

[quote name='ialma' post='730562' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:30 PM']Battery in my B2A was in the electronic compartment and mine also had no XLR output.
Maybe mine was one of the first built, or vice versa, Hohner decided to reduce expenses removing compartment and XLR, no idea...[/quote]

Yes, there's not a lot of information online about the history of these. But both the battery compartment and XLR output are original to this particular instrument.

[quote name='ialma' post='730336' date='Jan 31 2010, 10:13 AM']Unm... my active B2A did not have a batteries compartment nor the XLR output
Are these aftermarket mods ?[/quote]
No - this was standard on the early ones, from about 1985. Mine (which was bought new in '85) has both of these features.

You don't see many red ones.

Jon.

mine was definately more recent.
Maybe Hohner decided to reduce costs, and maybe the preamp section was smaller in more recent versions of the B2A so to allow circuit and battery to be fitted in the same compartment.
A pity the XLR is not a standard feature anymore.
Bump for this, I really don't need another Hohner B2A but...

Used to own one of these. Didn't like it when I had it but in hindsight was a cracking bass. Sold mine over 10 years ago for a ridiculously low price, makes me weep to think how little I got for it. There you go, when you need cash.
Looks brilliant in red, if I had some spare cash I'd go for it but as it is :)