Why become a member? ×

Power Chord/Alternate string technique advise

hey

with the song my band do and the stuff i mainly practise, there's alot of Power Chording and Alternate stringed notes (like playing an E on the A string and flicking the E on the G string for sections)

Problem is, when i do that for a little while, my thumb really starts to ache on my left hand (fretting hand) and i have to stop doing it. I don't know if it's due to the way i have my thumb or what but it really hurts.

I position my thumb just resting against the back of the neck on my bass just so everyone knows

Any advise would be great.
Cheers!

If your thumb is hurting it sounds to me like you could be gripping the neck too tightly.
You shouldn't be applying much,if any,pressure with your left hand thumb.You should be able
to release your thumb from the back of the neck and still be able to play the notes. I use my thumb
mainly for 'balance' and as a pivot point,but I dont grip the neck at all.

[quote name='Doddy' post='729152' date='Jan 29 2010, 08:14 PM']You should be able
to release your thumb from the back of the neck and still be able to play the notes.[/quote]

I've heard this a number of times before and either I'm missing the point or it's a bit of an exaggeration. Put a bass on a strap, keep your thumb out of the way and fret a string. Can you do it without simply pushing the bass around your back? I certainly can't. Your thumb has to apply some pressure, it's just a case of minimising it. Just (!) - I have a habit of working up a death-like grip too.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='729604' date='Jan 30 2010, 12:46 PM']I've heard this a number of times before and either I'm missing the point or it's a bit of an exaggeration. Put a bass on a strap, keep your thumb out of the way and fret a string. Can you do it without simply pushing the bass around your back? I certainly can't. Your thumb has to apply some pressure, it's just a case of minimising it. Just (!) - I have a habit of working up a death-like grip too.[/quote]

Yeah I can take my thumb off the neck and still play comfortably.

Lots of things you can try

Either cheat and play it an octave down so you're playing it off the open E, play it 12th fret on the E so it's less of a stretch.

Which fingers do you use to fret? Pinky or 2nd or 3rd finger. If you use pinky, it should be relatively painless.

To me it looks like you're putting too much pressure on the thumb- try keeping it arched rather than letting it collapse. That should help you ease up the tension it looks like you're putting on it, and allow you to do the "thumb off the back of the neck" trick Doddy was talking about. As he said, you shouldn't be gripping with your thumb.
Hope that helps.