Why become a member? ×

Travis Bean

cocco

Ive always liked these. pretty interesting bass with an awesome tone. If only :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/travis-bean-bass_W0QQitemZ260542432877QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3ca98a066d#ht_500wt_1182"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/travis-bean-bass_W0Q...d#ht_500wt_1182[/url]

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='726286' date='Jan 27 2010, 01:18 PM']So DB, how good are these, as one who knows?[/quote]

Depends what you're after, really. They're passive and they're heavy, which I know will put off a lot of basschatters. The pickups are really hot, but also have lots of top-end (unlike most overwound ones). The sound is amazingly articulate, hi-fi and unforgiving, but could also be described as woody, harsh and aggressive. It all depends on how you set it up and play it.

Once you get used to the sound, pretty much every other bass sounds lifeless in comparison, like the difference between a proper harsh fuzz box (like a Fuzz Factory or Devi Ever thing) and a digitally-modelled one. I've tried to play other things, but I have ended up flogging all my wooden-necked basses. I still get GAS for wooden necks, but they never last long once they get here.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='728934' date='Jan 29 2010, 05:59 PM']They do exist. But not in huge numbers.[/quote]

my TB 2000 fretless:

it is just an awesome bass. it plays better than all my past bass guitars (music man, fender jazz, ibanez...) and it is my first fretless.
lifetime commitment

[quote name='HLAVA' post='734100' date='Feb 3 2010, 02:45 PM']well, i did not ask but if you want to tell us....[/quote]
Well, I think it is quite likely it's the guy I go to, Steve Kendall of East Hanney, Oxfordshire.
It's just that I remember him saying he had done a new body in zebrano for a Travis Bean for someone.
I believe the original body had split, or something.
Later, he saw it up on eBay being passed off as original and had to correct the seller.
When I was talking to him, I assumed it was a guitar, but it is too much of a coincidence.
I'm sure, if you contacted him, he'd give you the full history of the job.
www.stevekendallguitars.co.uk/

Hope this is of interest/help
cheers
Jules

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='734413' date='Feb 3 2010, 08:39 PM']Well, I think it is quite likely it's the guy I go to, Steve Kendall of East Hanney, Oxfordshire.
It's just that I remember him saying he had done a new body in zebrano for a Travis Bean for someone.
I believe the original body had split, or something.
Later, he saw it up on eBay being passed off as original and had to correct the seller.
When I was talking to him, I assumed it was a guitar, but it is too much of a coincidence.
I'm sure, if you contacted him, he'd give you the full history of the job.
www.stevekendallguitars.co.uk/

Hope this is of interest/help
cheers
Jules[/quote]

thanx jules. you might be right but i am still in touch with the seller of the bass. i could ask him also...

• 10 months later...

[quote name='dangerboy' post='728391' date='Jan 29 2010, 08:30 AM']The price is low, but then the seller didn't set up international shipping or provide decent photos. He/she could have got a few hundred more by doing that, easily.

I was wondering if anyone here nabbed it?[/quote]

I think this is my travis bean no-891. I got it on january 28th 2010 the photo's were sh*t and he took two weeks to reply to me after i won it and it arrived with a broken machine head. it had a starting price of £900 and only four ppl put bids on so i got it for £1200. Am just asking because i hit search on travis bean on bass chat and found this patter. this is the best bass ever. you guys prob don't remember