Why become a member? ×

Hi-beams on my sterling ??

wrinkleygit

Hello time to restring my sterling,up to now I have used d'addario prosteel 40-100 on my thumb & mm sterling,but the G string on the mm has always seemed brighter/twangier, almost like having one new string & three old ones on the same bass if that makes sense, (never had the problem with the thumb),My theory is to try a set with a slightly heavier g to try & even this out.Had a search on previous threads & fancy a shot at hi-beams or maybe fat-beams but before I splash out would appreciate some advice from other DR users.I only play finger style & I have tried adjusting pickup (nordstrand I believe) height/angle ,mike b.

Hi there

I know your sterling very well as it used to be mine (i called it rita after rita heyworth, gorgeous redhead :) i still greatly miss it) it had d,addarios on when i traded it, but when i first got i used DR sunbeams(45-105) which i use on my jazz and they sounded fantastic, works very well with the maple fingerboard, i also use fatbeams on my ken smith which i think are great too, they have the punch of steels but with a warm tone( suit actives very well) my faves arethe sunbeams though, highly recommended!!
cheers and congrats on a great bass, give me a shout if you evermove it on :rolleyes: - all the best lee

I used to use Ernie Ball Super Slinky on my MM SR5. I was happy with those but have only used DR on the Lakland for the last 6-7 years. I think DR are worth the extra money.
[/quote]

[quote name='raze' post='730615' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:27 PM']....all i would reccomend with hi beams is buy a guage heavier than you would use in other makes as they are seriously low tension and for that reason i dont like em. They feel like spagehtti on my jazz tuned down half a step....[/quote]
You're using them outside of their design spec, so of course they won't work as well.

[quote name='lee650' post='727927' date='Jan 28 2010, 06:25 PM']cheers and congrats on a great bass, give me a shout if you evermove it on :lol: - all the best lee[/quote]

Ignore Lee ( :) :lol: )... and give me a shout if you want to sell the 'basschat bike' as I was one of the MANY owners before him! Just so happens I'm actively looking to find a similar/identical Sterling but it has to smell as nice as that one! :rolleyes:

re. the strings - I used DR Sunbeams on it (45-105) and they were fab.

Think I have settled on hi-beams 45-105 as the most likely choice,it will be a couple of weeks before I make the switch as the old red head is fairly busy at the moment,for all interested parties & it looks like Rita has had a few, Lee has already been promised first shout if I should ever file for divorce,thanks for all the advice, mike b.