Why become a member? ×

Tim Kennelly needs our help

Happy Jack

[quote name='silddx' post='730435' date='Jan 31 2010, 06:59 AM']The Ealing Gazette are reporting the family need to pay £10k to get Tim home. That's shocking. I wouldn't want to be the tour manager right now.[/quote]

[url="http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/ealing-news/ealing-columnists/2010/01/28/voice-of-the-gazette-help-bring-timothy-home-64767-25714043/"]http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/ealing-news...64767-25714043/[/url]

Excuse my ignorance here, this is not something that I've needed to give much thought to.

But, shouldn't we, the British tax payer, via our government, via the British Embassy in Brazil, be arranging and paying for repatriation in this kind of situation?

If not, then we/they bl***y well should.

[quote name='SteveK' post='730596' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:02 PM']Excuse my ignorance here, this is not something that I've needed to give much thought to.

But, shouldn't we, the British tax payer, via our government, via the British Embassy in Brazil, be arranging and paying for repatriation in this kind of situation?

If not, then we/they bl***y well should.[/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='SteveK' post='730596' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:02 PM']Excuse my ignorance here, this is not something that I've needed to give much thought to.

If not, then we/they bl***y well should.[/quote]

I sincerely hope this reply is not disrespectful, I just wanted to address the above.

The question is, where do you (we/ the UK government/whoever?) draw the line? Sadly, Tim did not have travel insurance which is designed to pay for exactly this sort of thing. I have read media accounts of people having to remortgage/sell family homes, borrow from friends and relatives or beg the same people for money because a relation or friend has either fallen ill whilst abroad and needed expensive medical care/medical repatriation or has sadly died overseas and the body is to be repatriated. I'm sure that there are many more cases of this sort of thing that simply go unreported, Tim's case, whilst undoubtedly tragic, is far from unique.

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='730626' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:36 PM']I sincerely hope this reply is not disrespectful, I just wanted to address the above.

The question is, where do you (we/ the UK government/whoever?) draw the line? Sadly, Tim did not have travel insurance which is designed to pay for exactly this sort of thing. I have read media accounts of people having to remortgage/sell family homes, borrow from friends and relatives or beg the same people for money because a relation or friend has either fallen ill whilst abroad and needed expensive medical care/medical repatriation or has sadly died overseas and the body is to be repatriated. I'm sure that there are many more cases of this sort of thing that simply go unreported, Tim's case, whilst undoubtedly tragic, is far from unique.[/quote]
Agreed

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='730626' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:36 PM']I sincerely hope this reply is not disrespectful, I just wanted to address the above.

The question is, where do you (we/ the UK government/whoever?) draw the line? Sadly, Tim did not have travel insurance which is designed to pay for exactly this sort of thing. I have read media accounts of people having to remortgage/sell family homes, borrow from friends and relatives or beg the same people for money because a relation or friend has either fallen ill whilst abroad and needed expensive medical care/medical repatriation or has sadly died overseas and the body is to be repatriated. I'm sure that there are many more cases of this sort of thing that simply go unreported, Tim's case, whilst undoubtedly tragic, is far from unique.[/quote]

There is a very basic ([i]triba[/i]l, if you like) feeling inside me that says, [i]he was one of ours, we should bring him home.[/i] It just strikes me as the decent, civilised thing to do.

"Where do we draw the line?" I think there is a very obvious place where the line can be drawn.

On reflection, this is probably not the thread to be having this discussion.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='730626' date='Jan 31 2010, 09:36 AM']I sincerely hope this reply is not disrespectful, I just wanted to address the above.

The question is, where do you (we/ the UK government/whoever?) draw the line? [u]Sadly, Tim did not have travel insurance which is designed to pay for exactly this sort of thing.[/u] I have read media accounts of people having to remortgage/sell family homes, borrow from friends and relatives or beg the same people for money because a relation or friend has either fallen ill whilst abroad and needed expensive medical care/medical repatriation or has sadly died overseas and the body is to be repatriated. I'm sure that there are many more cases of this sort of thing that simply go unreported, Tim's case, whilst undoubtedly tragic, is far from unique.[/quote]

Hi Mrs Tinman.

Indeed.

In the spirit of what lessons can be drawn from this tragic loss of young life, perhaps record labels would do well to consider expanding the scope of their tour planning to include mandatory travel insurance for band members as well as coaching their acts on the aspects of traveling abroad.

To be clear: I'm [i]not[/i] attempting to assign any blame.

It's just that in hindsight a tragedy of this nature likely could've been averted and the next one definitely should be.

The latest news is that the family are still negotiating over the cost/timing of repatriation for Tim, but it seems likely that the flight will be this Wednesday (3rd Feb).

Aleks will hand over a cheque to the family from our combined fund-raising efforts tomorrow afternoon, so I wish to close this appeal at midnight tonight.

I'll report tomorrow on the final figure raised.

Jack

[quote name='SteveK' post='730695' date='Jan 31 2010, 03:48 PM']There is a very basic ([i]triba[/i]l, if you like) feeling inside me that says, [i]he was one of ours, we should bring him home.[/i] It just strikes me as the decent, civilised thing to do.

"Where do we draw the line?" I think there is a very obvious place where the line can be drawn.

On reflection, this is probably not the thread to be having this discussion.[/quote]

Agreed. I am for a benefit gig. All the way

Tim was supposedly on a flight home last night, but I'm still awaiting confirmation from the family.

The total cost of the 'get him home' operation really was a ghastly £10,000.

Astonishingly, much of this was raised in a single week through a HUGE push by his school - Cardinal Vaughan School in Ealing. Tim's band's record label were also actively engaged in fund-raising through CD sales and so on.

My daughter Aleks was going to hand over a single cheque today combining the fund-raising from her own school and friends and everything I've received through Basschat.

As at last night, this totalled just over [b]£[size=3]1500[/size][/b].

Those funds are enough to take the total donation past the £10k mark, and bring Tim home. Many thanks to everyone here.

The UK Coroner needs to carry out his own post mortem but this is likely to be a mere formality. If that's the case, then the funeral will be next Wednesday.

The funeral will be open to the public. At the moment, Aleks and I are both planning to be there (as, by the sound of it, are MANY others). I have no business appointing myself "Basschat Representative" but if some/any of you would like to feel represented at Tim's funeral then don't worry, you will be if you want it.

Now that the funds have been raised, and Tim will be buried at home, I'd just like to second MIJ-VI's earlier suggestion regarding compulsory travel insurance through the record label. It seems such a simple and obvious idea.

I think so - or at least most of the cost.

It's very difficult to collect, say, £10k by public appeal. Inevitably you end up with either more or less, and this time the answer is 'more'.

Certainly there's no need (IMHO) for a further appeal.

Yet another reason for record labels to coach less experienced members of their touring acts as to the prudence of exercising due caution when in unfamiliar surroundings:

"Aracaju's beaches is well known for being quite dangerous. I heard from the national press that Leon did not read the warning sign on the beach as he didn't understand portuguese."

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8647411&postcount=20"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php...mp;postcount=20[/url]

"Brazil has some serious surf. There are many drownings that occur there every year. As a lifeguard, I see this too often. One person tries to rescue the other and then both end up getting in trouble. Many of our own trained lifeguards have almost lost their lives because they got too close to a panicked rescue. This is sad indeed.

In case anyone else gets caught in a rip and there are no lifeguards on duty. Swim parallel to shore until you are out of the rip current, and then head to shore. Sounds simple now, all calm behind our computer screens, but if you can remember this, it could save your life sometime."

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8647558&postcount=22"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php...mp;postcount=22[/url]

This is an example of the kind of good advice that I hope record labels begin coaching their bands with.

This is now moving, at last, to a conclusion.

Tim is back in London, the Coroner is satisfied that there is nothing further to do, so the funeral can go ahead.

Tim will be buried at Ealing Abbey on Friday 12th February, the service starting at 1:00pm.

The funeral will be open to the public and is expected to be very crowded.

Anyone from Basschat who actually knew Tim is very welcome to attend. I will there with my family of course.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='737032' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:32 AM']This is now moving, at last, to a conclusion.

Tim is back in London, the Coroner is satisfied that there is nothing further to do, so the funeral can go ahead.

Tim will be buried at Ealing Abbey on Friday 12th February, the service starting at 1:00pm.

The funeral will be open to the public and is expected to be very crowded.

Anyone from Basschat who actually knew Tim is very welcome to attend. I will there with my family of course.[/quote]

I commend you Jack you have been fantastic through this.

My condolences to his family .