Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B100R

merello

Sniffing around one but not sure - anyone had experience of them?

Blurb:

If you're looking for vintage Ampeg sex appeal with modern functionality, the B-100R should put a smile on your face. The B-100R "Rocket Bass" combo amp combines the look, sound and tone of the original Portaflex with the outstanding reliability of contemporary, solid-state design.

The 100-Watt B-100R drives a vintage 15" speaker and features four bands of EQ, plus Ultra Low, Mid, and High switches for custom-tailoring your sound.

Featuring the same warm tone and easy to use controls as its vintage counterpart, the B-100R is rugged, lightweight and maintenance-free.

Vintage Tone and Styling
15" Speaker
100-Watts RMS
[b]Ultra-portable*[/b]

RMS Power Output: 100-Watts
Speakers: 1 x 15"
Tone Controls: 4-Band
Mid Tone Control: Ultra Mid
Line Out: Unbalanced
Line In: Yes
Headphone Output: Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 19 x 21 x 14
[b]Weight: 65 Pounds*[/b] :)

I've no first hand experience with the 100w model but I've tried the [u]200R[/u] which was great fun & I own the BA115 combo. For what it's worth I think Ampeg's entry level stuff is perfectly fine. Obviously the B100R has the retro stylings & if I were starting from scratch it'd be a serious contender

I use one quite a lot at our studio. They're excellent!

I've also got a b50R - which is a 12" and no valve pre - but that's great too.

There's a good video on youtube comparing the b100r with a vintage b15n - but I can't find it. :)

Edited by bigjohn

Tried one in Walton´s in Dublin a few years ago.
I asked to try one of the Ampeg Blue Diamond series bass amps and the guy at the counter brought me down to the area they were in, grabbed a bass off the wall and plugged me into a Reverborocket 50 guitar amp :lol:
Convinced him it was a tube guiar amp before he switched it on.
Got the right one in the end anyway.
From what I remember, it sounded very loud at 1/3 volume. Plenty of bottom end. The EQ setup was fairly simple, but the bass (an Epi Ebo IIRC) sounded lovely through it.
I do remeber lifting it and being annoyed that for the size, it weighed a fair bit.
At the time it was between this, a secondhand Ampeg B3 combo and a Fender Rumble 100 (which had just come out)
The B3 won-but only just (didn´t have the cash to buy a new DB100r :) ) Walton´s prices were ridiculous anyway.
They didn´t have the 200 version in stock in either store, but they "had one on order" (it never showed)

I love the look of it. Very fifties-right up my street!-Just add a Gretsch style bass or a Coronado and bam! :rolleyes:
If only they´d modernise it a wee bit.
Maybe do something like the new Fender Bassman TV combos and stick in a valve pre and an ext spkr jack and do some nice blue diamond cabs(2x10,2x12,1x15?).
Hmm...

[quote name='basshead56' post='722445' date='Jan 23 2010, 06:55 PM']As a matter of interest, is the one you are thinking of buying new or second hand? what kind of figure do they want for it?[/quote]
£349...the only downside is the lack of oomf noted above and the mass of the said object.

• 5 months later...

I used to own one. I downsized from a big 8x10 rig to it for a tour and ended up using it as my main amp for 2 years!

I played main stage at Nottingham Rock City and the sound man was like 'that'll never fill this place'... I got the last laugh after he asked me to turn it down from 50% volume to around 30%!

The loudest small combo I've ever hear Barr none. Great tone, huuuuuuge bottom end. But it is VERY heavy for it's size

Edited by pantherairsoft

I have a B200R (220w 1x15) in as good as new condition (2-3 months old) and i would consider selling it if someone was interested. They're great amps and the 200 specifically, has a great DI out with a level control on it. (see far right of pic)

Edited by Tee

[quote name='Tee' post='877154' date='Jun 25 2010, 09:41 AM']I have a B200R (220w 1x15) in as good as new condition (2-3 months old) and i would consider selling it if someone was interested. They're great amps and the 200 specifically, has a great DI out with a level control on it. (see far right of pic)

[/quote]

Is it a US made one?
How much would you be selling for?
If I hadn´t just got a nice little amp set up (will post later), I´d be very interested.

Musicman20, the Rocket combos are quite different in tone to the BA series. They sound nothing like them. The B200R combo is more of a vintage sound, attempting to emulate the old B-15s. They're a very clean amp, with a 12AU7 in the preamp (B100 doesn't have a tube pre-amp).

Basshead56. Mine is in pristine condition, as it's still only a couple of months old (home practice/recording use only). I'd likely take 350 for it. Oh and i don't hink its a US one. No issues at all with this one, however.

Edited by Tee

I've started using the front end of my b50 as a pre-amp. It's really nice - loads of EQ. Probably because it was built as a domestic practice amp.

The b50 is the only one without a valve preamp - but it sounds like it's got one. Very vintage tone.

Sounds great into a 1k power amp and schroeder 1212L :)