Why become a member? ×

SOLD - SQUIER P-BASS Special - Punk Purple! PLUS CASE PLUS P+P

merello

Hi guys!

Squier P-Bass Special for sale.

Price = £120

The case in the pictures is [u]not for sale[/u] at this price as I would probably prefer to keep it for my next purchase. I have tried my best to find another purple one online but I can't. As far as I can tell it is the original colour but I am willing to bow to an expert! I am tempted to mention imagine playing live with a big purple beast in your hands but that would be juvenile. :)

Bought off a careful lady owner. She gigged a lot but luckily that was just on the fiddle (as in violin, not 'cash in hand' type of fiddle) and she never learned the bass. This means it has sat in a hardcase for about 6 years. Looks like a 1999 version made in Indonesia (SNIC99....). I have gigged it twice and it has a good P-bass growl, J-bass meow and appropriate blend when required. I am trying to trade up but would also be happy to keep it to have it as a starter or second bass.

[u]Are There Any Issues?[/u]
Buying 2nd hand I always like a truthful description, so here goes...
I have looked very carefully at the bass from every angle and there are no major dings or scratches.
There is the tiniest fleck of purple paint missing (about 2mm) at where the neck meets the lower body. I have never noticed it before I gave it the old once over today.
There a few - almost imperceptible - marks/non-penetrating scratches on but nothing deep or obvious on the back of the body. I could not describe the marks as being buckle rash unless whoever owned it first wore a rubber snake belt.
When the tone pot is rolled right back near where 'zero' would be, there was a small crackle that disappeared when WD40 was sprayed on. If I was keeping it long term, I'd open her up and give it a better clean.

In summary, on ebay, this would be described as a 10 year old bass in very good condition.

Location, location, location - Paisley

Not sure if I have the expertise to post unless someone fills me in on the tricks of the trade so I would prefer a pick up or meet.

Edited by merello

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='722278' date='Jan 23 2010, 04:13 PM']oh man... im in love.

If it wasn't for the 340 mile journey it would take to get to Paisley,
I'd have it..

Zo
x[/quote]
Cheers Zoe - it is distinctive and the band laughed at me at first but I'm well pleased with it's sound and looks. If anyone could tell me how to post a bass without a case... :)

[quote name='merello' post='722467' date='Jan 23 2010, 07:19 PM']If anyone could tell me how to post a bass without a case... :)[/quote]

Just had a Squier Strat ( :rolleyes: ) posted to me by NJE.... who did a brilliant job!!

Take the neck off for a start (or a strat!!). Pack both bits in plenty of cardboard, cloth, bubblewrap - whatever you have handy! Loads of tape to hold it all together...

Sorry if I'm giving away your trade secrets here Nathan!! :lol:

[quote name='merello' post='722467' date='Jan 23 2010, 07:19 PM']Cheers Zoe - it is distinctive and the band laughed at me at first but I'm well pleased with it's sound and looks. If anyone could tell me how to post a bass without a case... :)[/quote]

If there's a guitar shop nearby you can alway ask them if they have any spare boxes...

I thought this would be up your alley Zoe, saw your purple Westfield P elsewhere around here! Thi would look great with a black scratchplate...

Edited by dannybuoy

Don't suppose you fancy a five string?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72580"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72580[/url]

Chuck in your case and I'd be happy to do a direct swap! Meet up halfway between Newcastle and Glasgow... which would be around, er - let's see.... Hexham I think? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='722495' date='Jan 23 2010, 07:39 PM']Don't suppose you fancy a five string?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72580"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72580[/url]

Chuck in your case and I'd be happy to do a direct swap! Meet up halfway between Newcastle and Glasgow... which would be around, er - let's see.... Hexham I think? :)[/quote]
Smart bass and I have looked but I'm determined to get a 4 string, probably Spector, Ibanez SGR300M, F-Jazz or if I push the bow-at out a MTD Kingston.

try getting a hold of an empty flat screen TV box, you can get a big roll of bubblewrap on Ebay for less than a tenner.

Wrap the bass up with the bubblewrap, place in the box, pack well so that it won;t move around and the cut the box down to the smallest size you can to save on postage.

Parcelmonkey are currently the cheapest for sending within the UK but there are other and there's a FAQ thread for couriers somewhere around here.

You'll have a load of bubblewrap left over for future things.

I'm out of here cos I'm starting to get tempted myself and live close enough to collect. :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='722608' date='Jan 23 2010, 09:18 PM']try getting a hold of an empty flat screen TV box, you can get a big roll of bubblewrap on Ebay for less than a tenner.

Wrap the bass up with the bubblewrap, place in the box, pack well so that it won;t move around and the cut the box down to the smallest size you can to save on postage.

Parcelmonkey are currently the cheapest for sending within the UK but there are other and there's a FAQ thread for couriers somewhere around here.

You'll have a load of bubblewrap left over for future things.

I'm out of here cos I'm starting to get tempted myself and live close enough to collect. :)[/quote]
Here - that might be a plan.

I've had an offer if I post - so I am looking into it - but in the meantime, I am still looking for a pick up or a meet. Sounds so dangerous and sexy....until you meet me. Wee question, what's the usual about payment for posted items? How do we go about it? I refuse to use paypal as I was Skype/Paypal hacked and have not used ebay since but I also realise there's a need for the buyer to feel safe too.

you can have someone pay the money directly into your bank account as long as you are happy with that. giving someone your bank details means that they can deposit money only so don't worry about someone getting into your account and stealing it.

I only do bank transfers on this forum and with people that I think i can trust. Ebay is a large, faceless thingy where you could be dealing with anyone. The vast majority of us here are all about helping each other out.

[quote name='Conan' post='722481' date='Jan 23 2010, 07:30 PM']Take the neck off for a start (or a strat!!). Pack both bits in plenty of cardboard, cloth, bubblewrap - whatever you have handy! Loads of tape to hold it all together...[/quote]

+1

I really REALLY love it..

I keep looking at the photos haha

might PM you very soon..
depending on the postage etc..

Z
x

Update:
I have researched on MusicRadar ....
[url="http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27027"]http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27027[/url]
...and had advice from some kind souls on this site.

It looks like I have to arrange a meet/pick up, find bubble wrap and a box (then dismantle the purple beast or sell the hard case and use parcelforce. I am worried that people think I am mucking them around but according to 'www.parcel2go.com' the bass and hard case would incur a charge of:

£10.99 plus VAT (£13 or thereabouts) for ParcelForce 48
£11.99 plus VAT ((£14 or thereabouts) for ParcelForce 24

This would insure the bass up to a value of £100 (depending on how you read their info!) to but does not insure the case which is, bizarrely treated as packaging.

So, I will have a wee ask around at Strung Out today to see if they have packaging but it looks like if anyone wants the bass, they'd have to buy the hard case too. I was not keen on doing that but if that's what it takes...

How do people feel about that and does that mean I add postage plus the price of the case to the price?

Could be £120+£14(postage)+£30(case) = £164 and that looks expensive to me (unless you think of it as £150 for bass and case plus P+P!)

Thoughts?

Thanks for your patience.

[quote name='retroman' post='722832' date='Jan 24 2010, 08:19 AM']Mrs Retroman has got one of these, and it's a cracking bass. Loaded with SD quarter pounders it really growls.

Free bump for a great bass :rolleyes:[/quote]
ps - a bass player married to a bass player - take it you don't get GAS grief then! :)

[quote name='merello' post='722916' date='Jan 24 2010, 10:34 AM']So, I will have a wee ask around at Strung Out today to see if they have packaging but it looks like if anyone wants the bass, they'd have to buy the hard case too. I was not keen on doing that but if that's what it takes...

How do people feel about that and does that mean I add postage plus the price of the case to the price?
Thoughts?

Thanks for your patience.[/quote]

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it IS possible to post the bass without the case. "Dismantling" it simply means taking the strings off and then unscrewing the four (I assume) screws/bolts that attach the neck to the body. This will reduce the size of the package and may save costs....

Anyway. My ebay auctions look like being unsuccessful again, so unless someone on here buys either of my basses I can't afford this. I'll re-phrase that: Mrs Conan won't allow me to INCREASE the number of basses I own when the whole point is to REDUCE it!! Shame, as I really like the look of this bass and as i could meet half way it would save you the problem of disassembling and packing it!!

Edited by Conan

Would a bass relay be possible?

Sort of like passing the torch at the olympics until it gets down to Zoe?

I would say that if you are unhappy packing without a hard case, adding a hard case adds to the cost then take the neck off and use a smaller box, wrapped well and it can easily be assembled at the other end