Why become a member? ×

What makes your forearm and hand ache ?

essexbasscat

I've noticed from time to time that an urge comes over me to challenge my bass playing endurance. The songs can be fast, complicated or agile etc and frequently go on for ages. Some are shorter than others, but my arm always burns by the time I'm done.

The challenge is to keep on playing and not let up, not even for a second. Stay on the pulse and play each note with as much vigour as you did the last, if that's what it takes.

Is there something, some song, that challenges the bass playing warrior spirit in you ? some task that you do that makes you put your arm in the fire ?

For openers, here's one of mine. It's Homebound train by Bon Jovi and goes on for over five minutes almost without a pause. I play the bass line as I hear it mimicking the guitar with the obvious exceptions.

Here's the link [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDh4TkGVaWY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDh4TkGVaWY[/url]

Will you take my challenge ??

What's your challenge ?

I expect there will be some metalheads replying to this one !

T

:)

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='retroman' post='720182' date='Jan 21 2010, 02:53 PM']Mr Metalhead to you!! :rolleyes: :lol:

"We Are The Road Crew" by Motorhead. Damned fast, and it's all chords on the bass. Normally have smoke coming off my forearm after that one! :)[/quote]

Well met, Mr. Metalhead

You try mine and I'll try yours

T

Edited by essexbasscat

The only time my hand ever aches is if I have to play a busy line and have trouble hearing my amp.If I
struggle to hear myself,I start plucking harder which is no good.
If I can hear what I'm doing,I can comfortably play pretty much anything all night
with no physical problems.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='720187' date='Jan 21 2010, 02:59 PM']Well met, Mr. Metalhead

You try mine and I'll try yours

T[/quote]

No probs T,

I'll look at the link you posted, and have a go at it tonight :rolleyes: for "Road Crew", you need to tune down half a step :) The "slower" version of the song is on the classic "Ace Of Spades" album. Actually, "Ace Of Spades" is another goodun!

[quote name='retroman' post='720208' date='Jan 21 2010, 03:27 PM']No probs T,

I'll look at the link you posted, and have a go at it tonight :rolleyes: for "Road Crew", you need to tune down half a step :) The "slower" version of the song is on the classic "Ace Of Spades" album. Actually, "Ace Of Spades" is another goodun![/quote]

Yessir. Looked at that. Tried the Toronto live gig one and the studio one too. When you mention the chord, do you mean a combination of 'A' flat and 'E' flat ?

do you use a pick with that or your thumb or something else ?

cheers

T

OK Sir :)

The only parts that are not chords are the intro, and the bridge riff. Under the verse, Lemmy uses his usual trick of playing the riff around the 5th and 7th fret position, and leave the string below ringing open. For Road Crew, the first note of each verse bar is G, fretted on the D string fifth fret, then A at the seventh on the D, all the time letting the open A string ring out loud and proud, muting the E with your thumb. Play that for three bars, then the fourth bar is a root and fifth chord, G, down to F, using the D and G strings. The 8th bar in the verse riff is the same as the fourth, just reversed, then play the intro/ bridge riff.

All notes mentioned above are flat :lol:

Hope that makes sense.......I'm not too clever at all this music theory stuff! :brow:

The best "how to" for this song is on the Making of "Ace Of Spades" Classic Albums DVD. The DVD has lots of bonus features, one of which is Lemmy, Eddie, and Philthy belting out Road Crew for old times sake :rolleyes: There are lots of close ups of Lemmy's bass playing, and you can quite clearly see how he is playing it.

I play it with a pick (as lord god Lemmy intended), strumming very fast, on my old Ricky. Lemmy is more of a rythum guitarist, than a bass player to be honest :lol:

PS, love the bit in the guitar solo, where Eddie fell over in the studio, and they just left it in there!! Loads of screaming feedback! :lol:

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='720168' date='Jan 21 2010, 02:45 PM']Will you take my challenge ??

T

:)[/quote]

I took your challenge sir :rolleyes: I like the main riff to that Bon Jovi track. I tried it both pick, and finger style, and found that fingers work best for me on that one. Did start to feel it a little in my fretting hand after about five minutes. Have to admit, I hadn't heard that track before, so it was a good challenge :lol: