Why become a member? ×

Possible bargain Westone Thunder 1-A

Bassassin

Worth keeping an eye on this, if you're an early 80s Matsumoku fetishist:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150174701351"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=150174701351[/url]

Westy Thunder in a hard case, listed simply as "Electric Bass Guitar", pick up only from Barnet, £20 start.

Fingers crossed, then. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='79065' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:01 PM']Worth keeping an eye on this, if you're an early 80s Matsumoku fetishist:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150174701351"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=150174701351[/url]

Westy Thunder in a hard case, listed simply as "Electric Bass Guitar", pick up only from Barnet, £20 start.

Fingers crossed, then. :)

Jon.[/quote]
Lovely instrument, well I love mine anyway. Can't justify two. I'd like the case though ...

[quote name='The_D' post='79189' date='Oct 25 2007, 01:31 AM']+1

I'd pay £20 for the case! Looks like they fit nice :)[/quote]
You and I both too far away to collect though. If the bass went for say 70 'twould be worth buying for the case then reselling - these can fetch anything up to 150.

[quote name='stewblack' post='79252' date='Oct 25 2007, 09:52 AM']You and I both too far away to collect though. If the bass went for say 70 'twould be worth buying for the case then reselling - these can fetch anything up to 150.[/quote]

What? 150? What?
*Holds heart, then head, then heart again, then sits down*

I don't think that's an original case - I had an original Westone case with mine which was a brown tolex and plywood job, with a westone silkscreen logo on it and it fitted the bass properly. That black one doesn't look like it's fitted to that bass - around the bottom, waist and horns mainly. I've got something almost identical that my Gordon-Smith guitar came (but guitar sized obviously). I don't know for definitel, but I think the shell is plastic (with possibly some laminate ply in it or something) and is probably about the same age as the guitar - '83.
My Westone case looked like the below:

Thunder Boy up there has a couple of these cases for his Westones as well.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='79256' date='Oct 25 2007, 10:00 AM']What? 150? What?
*Holds heart, then head, then heart again, then sits down*

I don't think that's an original case - I had an original Westone case with mine which was a brown tolex and plywood job,[/quote]
You are quite correct sir. And yes £150 - you heard me correctly sir. Your case is much nicer.
I need a 2 and 3 to complete my collection. So lock your doors.

Edited by stewblack

[quote name='stewblack' post='79268' date='Oct 25 2007, 10:22 AM']You are quite correct sir. And yes £150 - you heard me correctly sir. Your case is much nicer.
I need a 2 and 3 to complete my collection. So lock your doors.[/quote]

What?
£150 for one of those sh*tey black cases?
Christ I think I'm going to sell that one then and buy a Hiscox and something nice with the profits!
That Westone is long gone now

[quote name='stewblack' post='79268' date='Oct 25 2007, 10:22 AM']You are quite correct sir. And yes £150 - you heard me correctly sir. Your case is much nicer.
I need a 2 and 3 to complete my collection. So lock your doors.[/quote]

I have a lovely heeless Thunder II in ivory.

[url="http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/mrolsen/pearlwestone.jpg"][/url]

You can see it in the avatar. I bought it in 92 from a local shop for £90. It was my first bass. I seem to have fallen for them though. I only need a few more to complete my collection.

I'm not certain that the hard case is an original Westone Thunder case though. I'm happy to be wrong but if it is for a Westone then it might be for a Paduak as they had slightly wider hips...

I will investigate....

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='79271' date='Oct 25 2007, 11:27 AM']What?
£150 for one of those sh*tey black cases?
Christ I think I'm going to sell that one then and buy a Hiscox and something nice with the profits!
That Westone is long gone now[/quote]
Ah - I come to the conclusion that I misrepresented myself - I meant the guitar. Apologies.

[quote name='paul, the' post='82516' date='Nov 1 2007, 11:39 PM']There was a Kay case in the vintage music shop in Bath. I don't think it was for sale but the figure £350 is popping into my head for some reason.

It was pink with yellow stripes (I think) though.[/quote]
If it was Rare & Vintage or however they style themselves it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to sell a tennis racket with broken strings for £2000