Why become a member? ×

NOFX - The Decline

jim_bass

So I've been trying to learn this song. Man!

[url="http://www.bassmasta.net/n/nofx/125890.html"]The Decline Bass Tab[/url]

I've found the tab, but you've gotta have a good memory - the tab is 5 pages long! Anyway, Fat Mike is a great bass player.

Can anyone else play this? Any good tips?

[quote name='Wil' post='713519' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:06 AM']I can't play it, but it's one of my favourite NOFX tunes. I was lucky enough to see them play it live in Bristol, the whole thing, start to finish![/quote]

Ok so I'm jealous that you saw them play the decline. I saw them in about 99/2000ish play at Manchest Apollo with a load of other bands off Fat Wreck (guttermouth, bosstones etc). They were amazing.

I'm not doing so great with the decline, got up to about 2mins into the song, but my memory is crap. I have to play along to the tab.

Also trying to learn a few rancid songs. I'm loving the bass to 'fall back down', but most of my efforts are on the solo part of 'maxwell murder', I've learned the first half of the solo, but I cant quite get the speed right - I play it at about 1/2 speed :)

Edited by jim_bass

I love Fat Mike´s stuff.
The basslines to ´My Vagina´ and ´The Brews´ are great. love jamming along with them.
His Gimme Gimmes stuff is brilliant! Love ´I only wanna be with you´-unreal intro!
Really easy to get that tone, just harder to play like him.
He and Matt Freeman are constantly underrated players with amazing ability!

[quote name='jim_bass' post='713531' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:15 AM']Ok so I'm jealous that you saw them play the decline. I saw them in about 99/2000ish play at Manchest Apollo with a load of other bands off Fat Wreck (guttermouth, bosstones etc). They were amazing.

I'm not doing so great with the decline, got up to about 2mins into the song, but my memory is crap. I have to play along to the tab.

Also trying to learn a few rancid songs. I'm loving the bass to 'fall back down', but most of my efforts are on the solo part of 'maxwell murder', I've learned the first half of the solo, but I cant quite get the speed right - I play it at about 1/2 speed :)[/quote]

I was there! I found with fast fast picking, get a really comfy pick, and find a technique that feels easy. I learnt early about 14 years ago off an older friend how to play at that speed and it just keeps getting easier :rolleyes:

[quote name='basshead56' post='713538' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:20 AM']I love Fat Mike´s stuff.
The basslines to ´My Vagina´ and ´The Brews´ are great. love jamming along with them.
His Gimme Gimmes stuff is brilliant! Love ´I only wanna be with you´-unreal intro!
Really easy to get that tone, just harder to play like him.
He and Matt Freeman are constantly underrated players with amazing ability![/quote]

I'm just listening to 'All Outta Angst' by NOFX and I've never realised how nice the bass line is to it.
Went to see the gimme gimme's in nottingham a few years back - again just brilliant!

It might also be worthwhile familiarising yourself with older (mid to late '80s) US hardcore punk bands, such a Dag Nasty, Rites of Spring, and a fair few others from the Dischord label. And perhaps bands from the same era such as Attitude, The Stupids, and Final Conflict. NoFX and others seem to be descended from that sort of stuff, albeit with a slightly more poppy tempo.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='713621' date='Jan 15 2010, 12:24 PM']It might also be worthwhile familiarising yourself with older (mid to late '80s) US hardcore punk bands, such a Dag Nasty, Rites of Spring, and a fair few others from the Dischord label. And perhaps bands from the same era such as Attitude, The Stupids, and Final Conflict. NoFX and others seem to be descended from that sort of stuff, albeit with a slightly more poppy tempo.[/quote]

Exceptional taste sir!

Cheers :)

You might to check out the various 'acronym' bands of the time too: SNFU, RKL, early DRI (before they became a Crossover band). Another good band was Spermbirds.

Also, you could go back a little earlier to when the US hardcore punk scene really kicked off - you can see the excellent 'American Hardcore' documentary [url="http://tinyurl.com/y87ssgu"]here...[/url] - that also kicks off with the always excellent 'Pay To Cum' by Bad Brains :rolleyes:

[quote name='Wil' post='713519' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:06 AM']I can't play it, but it's one of my favourite NOFX tunes. I was lucky enough to see them play it live in Bristol, the whole thing, start to finish![/quote]

I saw then do it on the same tour, I have it on vinyl.

Apart from the mind blowing lyrics the point was to hit back at critics who say they only played short songs.

Fat Mike is seriously under-rated.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='713781' date='Jan 15 2010, 02:18 PM']Cheers :)

You might to check out the various 'acronym' bands of the time too: SNFU, RKL, early DRI (before they became a Crossover band). Another good band was Spermbirds.

Also, you could go back a little earlier to when the US hardcore punk scene really kicked off - you can see the excellent 'American Hardcore' documentary [url="http://tinyurl.com/y87ssgu"]here...[/url] - that also kicks off with the always excellent 'Pay To Cum' by Bad Brains :rolleyes:[/quote]

Man, SNFU, I remember those guys. Crazy but actually really good.

[quote name='steve1879' post='714427' date='Jan 15 2010, 10:40 PM']I saw them play it in Liverpool a couple of years ago, it was quality. NOFX put on a seriously good show.

Some of my favourite lines are Mike's. Reeko, Johnny Appleseed, All Outta Angst, Food Sex and Ewe, I Don't Want You Around, they wrote some amazing ska tunes.[/quote]

Also

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='713781' date='Jan 15 2010, 02:18 PM']Cheers :)

Also, you could go back a little earlier to when the US hardcore punk scene really kicked off - you can see the excellent 'American Hardcore' documentary [url="http://tinyurl.com/y87ssgu"]here...[/url] - that also kicks off with the always excellent 'Pay To Cum' by Bad Brains :rolleyes:[/quote]
whoa !! did you steal my record collection ? (runs off to check) no, o.k. i'll let you off.. :lol:

edit - SNFU played in peterborough last year !!, like a complete tool i missed it. i think chi-pig is the only remaining original member though..

Edited by phil.i.stein

Heh - it's a shame the whole scene went to hell, got watered down into other things/rip-offs, turned nasty, etc.. Seems to have been widely copied in various ways then and after - especially in the metal/thrash scene.

That said, trying to track down some of the good stuff is tricky as hell. I'm still after the version of Attitude's 'Homeless Crew' that was (I think) on one of their EPs. Started off with the singer trying to do 'America The Beautiful' and having a coughing fit before launching into one of their best songs (and the best version of it).

Edited by Jerry_B