Why become a member? ×

Help!Squire Fretless advice and guitar synth

AhBootsybaby

have recently bought a Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass and put a badass bridge on it, BUT it still sounds a little dead to me, regardless of how I adjust the tone controls, it sounds rather flat and dull sounding I'm playing it through a roland bass cube which sounds quite bright so I think its the bass rather than the amp.

Question is do I try and fit active pickups to try and improve the sound or should I just buy a better fretless bass? I dont haver a huge budget but maybe I've trying to cut corners too much? Does anyone else out have problems with the squier fretless?

If I was going to spend say £400-500, the next level up what would anyone recommend? Fender Standard? Warwick corvette? or should I save my pennies and get an American Jazz Bass, are they significantly better?

My bass of choice would probably be a Wal or Pedula but aint got that kind of money

Also I'm thinking of perhaps getting the roland GR20 guitar synth to use with the fretless, has anyone used this combination, does the synth have problems tracking a fretless bass?

Any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated, I really want a warm bright sounding fretless bass sound not a dull, flat thud and anyone who has used the synth I would be interested in your views

cheers

Brownie

+1 to the above advice.

I have played the VM fretless and was quite impressed with the sound and build for the money.

As for the GR20 - I don't know how it would perform with a fretless, but make sure you get the GK2B or GK3B pickup for it - these are the bass versions, the GK3B is the latest model.

Some places seem to be selling the GR20 complete with the GK3, the guitar version, which would probobly not work very well with a bass, as it contains 6 individual mini pickups in one unit, which is fitted so that each string sits above its own pickup.

If anyone can add to this, or correct any misinformation - go ahead.

Edited by arsenic

+1 to all above.
Try swapping out the factory strings. Get some decent flats and adjust the intonation, action etc
Try the pickups at different heights aswell- a few mm makes a world of difference.
I wouldn´t give up on the VMJ-they are typically excellent value for money and as already stated, very well regarded on this site.
As regards the MIA Fender- be careful. Not all are amazing. The new standard series are great basses but if you´re going second hand, be wary as like most big brands, Fender quality has its ups and downs.

The synth pickup issue- avoid the guitar version- it won´t compliment the sound of the bass at all.
I´m nearly sure arsenic is right in saying that the guitar version uses individual-string-specific mini pups so the bass strings wouldn´t match up too well.
Have heard the Bass version though, on a Vigier, and it sounded amazing!!!

+another one on the strings. Maybe try a set of halfwounds (ground or preasure wound, depending on manufacturer). They have some of the brightness of rounds but the smoothness of flats. Strings are a bit cheaper than a new bass last time I looked.

Hi bassists

Cheers for the advice, I shall definately invest in some new strings and have a fiddle with my Bad Ass, it was set up when it was fitted but I make take it somewhere else for tweaking.

I dont want to sell it, just try and get the best out of it. I will have to try out a GR20 in a shop see what it does

thanks again

brownie