Why become a member? ×

Bass Delay

Thebassman75

Hi,

I've been toying with a delay pedal for my board and wonder if I can just use any standard guitar delay pedal?? I can't see why not as I've tried a few out and they seem to work fine but is there a specific bass delay pedal on the market and if so, why would it be so much better??

For space sake, I can only fit a small pedal on the board so things like Line 6 modelling pedals are no good to me, unless I buy a bigger board (!!)

Thanks

I'm wondering whether a short delay might not be better than chorus for thickening.

It can be that way recording/mixing, i've noticed.

Any comments? I've never been able compare the two as playing effects.

Don't mean to hijack ya thread, but like you I'm thinking of buying a delay, and I'm wondering if i don;t really want a chorus, or vice versa.

fatback

Edited by fatback

[quote name='cheddatom' post='712448' date='Jan 14 2010, 12:17 PM']Marshall Echohead is a cheap introduction to delay. It has 6 (I think) very different modes, plus all the normal controls and tap tempo input, stereo output etc.[/quote]

I've been looking for a cheap delay that can do echo well, this is one of the ones on my list to try. Seems to get very good reviews.

Others I'm also thinking about are the Ibanez DE-7 and Danelectro's Dan Echo, though I'm not sure the latter does delay at all. So far I'm leaning towards the Echohead, since it's the cheapest and my Marshall Reflector reverb is the dog's dangly bits as far as I'm concerned.

Delay is a tough one and so much of its down to personal taste (I spent longer picking a delay than any other pedal). Here my view -

While they share a name Analog and Digital delays are really two entirely different effects which have different properties depending on what you are looking for. If you want pristine repeats, long delay lengths and generally more features Digital is the way to go. If, however, you want the warmer, decayed style sound then its Analog. My preference is Analog but that doesnt really matter I s'pose. Here's some of the movers and shakers in the Digital and Analog worlds -

Digital:

Boss DD-7 - Common delay - decent repeat lengths, clean repeats, tap tempo; not a bad sound just fairly uninspiring; and

TC Electronic Nova Delay - High Quality delay with a number of different functions, slightly larger footprint on pedalboard than a Boss pedal, good overall value, can model some analog delays.

(there will be others but i'm a bit out of my comfort zone with Digital)

Analog

Ibanez (or Maxon) AD-9 - Nice analog delay with decent repeat length and quite dark and a decent sound - not complicated but not packed full of features either;

MXR Carbon Bopy - gets a lot of love, faily standard analog delay, small footprint, standard power supply, not bad - not fantastic - quite clean for an analog delay;

Malekko Echo - okay my choice (I have one), there are 4 models the ECHO 600 BRIGHT & ECHO 300 BRIGHT, ECHO 600 DARK & ECHO 300 DARK. High quality with excellent sounds. Different features depending on model (the 600s have expression outs); not many places stock them but they are excellent value and have a great sound.

Malekko 919 - this is a new one, packed with features normally associated with digital delays, you get analog sounds but with much longer delay times (analog being typically shorter), tap tempo, expression out - pedal is a little bigger but sounds featuretastic (recently released ahead of winter NAMM).

EH Deluxe Memory Man - a delay standard, fairly pricey and unit is quite big. Excellent sound that can be heard on a million and one records.

BOSS DM-2/DM-3 - discontinued, rare and collectable. Typical Boss design but a decent analog delay with a lot of cache, personally I think the sell for a bit to much due to the fanboys, you'll get a better analog delay for the money now by going boutiue route.

Also worth consideration and in no particular order is the (soon to be reissued - see Winter Namm) Way Huge Aqua Puss, T-Rex Replica, T-Rex Reptile and Eventide Timefactor.

Tried to cover most budgets and options here. There are a million delays all professing to be the best. At the end of the day it depends what you need/want and how much you'd like to spend I guess. :)

Hope this helps.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='joegarcia' post='712514' date='Jan 14 2010, 01:11 PM']Oooooh, hadn't seen that, looks tasty.[/quote]

mmmm, yeah, that looks ace, just too big for the space on my pedal board!!
hi joe - no surprise i'd find you on here!! :)

i'm severely tempted by a subdecay echobox though... in fact it's down to that or the Malekko 616... both look pretty damn tidy!

Edited by GazWills