Why become a member? ×

svt cl/vr, ad200b, trace elliot v4/6/8 or mesa what would you go for?

0175westwood29

i play hard rock/metal and im selling my pro6 and moving on to something else.

ive had an orange before the ad140b but it would get loud enough without breaking up a bunch, so to consider the 200b it needs to get loud! its gonna go through my 610.

the only thing that really spins me out with orange is the lack of a di.

the ampeg is one of the amps that ive wanted for ages! im just wandering what people think of the newer ones?

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

[quote name='Musicman20' post='707191' date='Jan 9 2010, 10:38 PM']If you where nearby Id say come and have a test of mine. Seriously, A/B them if you can. Thats what led to me getting the Orange.[/quote]

Indeed that would have been handy.

Yeh I know they have a svt cl and I think they have a 200b so ill play them both if I can.

What would you say are the differences between the orange and the peg?

Andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='707936' date='Jan 10 2010, 05:57 PM']Indeed that would have been handy.

Yeh I know they have a svt cl and I think they have a 200b so ill play them both if I can.

What would you say are the differences between the orange and the peg?

Andy[/quote]

This is all IMO, but Orange beat it hands down for the following reasons:

Better customer service, based in UK, 3 years warranty with PMT, (think its 1 or 2 normally anyway).

Orange looks cooler.

Plug in and awesome tone instantly....no messing about.

Brilliant classic Orange tone. Great for fat clean warm tube tone, or really really gritty dirty tube tone, and all in between.

Lighter amp

Better grit at lower volumes

IMO, better grit overall, (purely amazing tube grind when you have the gain up to about 3/4).

Still incredibly, incredibly loud.

Very simple design, with no bells and whistles, short signal path = tone heaven.

Orange are more boutique in my eyes....not so everyday.

Let me know how you get on.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='708236' date='Jan 10 2010, 09:49 PM']This is all IMO, but Orange beat it hands down for the following reasons:

Better customer service, based in UK, 3 years warranty with PMT, (think its 1 or 2 normally anyway).

Orange looks cooler.

Plug in and awesome tone instantly....no messing about.

Brilliant classic Orange tone. Great for fat clean warm tube tone, or really really gritty dirty tube tone, and all in between.

Lighter amp

Better grit at lower volumes

IMO, better grit overall, (purely amazing tube grind when you have the gain up to about 3/4).

Still incredibly, incredibly loud.

Very simple design, with no bells and whistles, short signal path = tone heaven.

Orange are more boutique in my eyes....not so everyday.

Let me know how you get on.[/quote]

will do.

does the no di become a pain? im guessing not just get a good di box?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='709292' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:15 PM']will do.

does the no di become a pain? im guessing not just get a good di box?

andy[/quote]

With amps like this....I would always get it mic'd anyway....sounds much better. Most sound guys probably dont have good quality mics, so you can use a Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI if you need a nice warm valvey tone to the PA.

As yet....Ive not had any issues. But, if I had the choice I'd always get the speakers mic'd.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='709322' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:29 PM']With amps like this....I would always get it mic'd anyway....sounds much better. Most sound guys probably dont have good quality mics, so you can use a Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI if you need a nice warm valvey tone to the PA.

As yet....Ive not had any issues. But, if I had the choice I'd always get the speakers mic'd.[/quote]

indeed i have to agree that my pro 6/ 610hlf sounded really nice mic'd

tbh im not really sure im bothered, just found that i can try out a gk 2001rb as well as the 2 big valve amps so we'll see how that goes!

andy

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='716068' date='Jan 17 2010, 10:07 PM']Just to add the the CL vs AD200B,

I had the same decision, and as you can see from my sig the Orange won.

Oh and if you play heavy metal, Norma Jean, Cancer Bats and Converge to name a couple, use the AD200B[/quote]

ok 2 people can't be wrong ill have to give it a go!

im guessing they must be louder than the 140b i used to own.

so far my list of all tube amps that i wanna try has grown to 4, i really fancy trying out the laney nexus heads aswell as the ad200b, svt and the 2nd hand 400+

andy

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='716068' date='Jan 17 2010, 10:07 PM']Just to add the the CL vs AD200B,

I had the same decision, and as you can see from my sig the Orange won.

Oh and if you play heavy metal, Norma Jean, Cancer Bats and Converge to name a couple, use the AD200B[/quote]

+1..... :rolleyes:

Even Alkaline Trio have started using them. Also, Every Time I Die had one through an Aguilar DB810. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='716084' date='Jan 17 2010, 10:20 PM']+1..... :rolleyes:

Even Alkaline Trio have started using them. Also, Every Time I Die had one through an Aguilar DB810. :)[/quote]

cool

just a bit annoyed that they do the white cover instead of orange for free! and you have to pay 150 quid for the black! how does that make sense!

andy

It's around 300w at 4 or 8 ohms right?
I have never tried the 400+ only Mesa 400 and i have owned a Mesa Buster 200.The mesa 200 and buster must be the same components,they sound very much the same.
The sound of an Ampeg svt 300w(anyone of them)has a completely different sound to mesa 400/Buster.The mesas i have tried sounds MUCH more in your face,not so warm,very much string-on-fret-zing.And with a voicing more towards midrange and treble.
If you dial in zero midrange,low on treble and high on bass you might get close to the same sound/voicing of an ampeg 300w.
As i said,i haven't tried the 400+,only read just about all reviews there is and that still doesn't count for much compared to actually trying it,so ofcourse you should try it.But you might find it quite different to an svt.

[quote name='misrule' post='718368' date='Jan 19 2010, 08:42 PM']But that's 500 watts peak power. It's said to be nearer 300 RMS.
Cheers
Mark[/quote]

I see...it's still frickin loud though!
I've never had my one over 4 on the Master Volume, and that's at fairy large gigs, etc :)

For the OP, what about Matamp? I think if I were after a valve beast of an amp they'd be getting a call.

Good luck,
Jon

[quote name='jonthebass' post='718383' date='Jan 19 2010, 08:53 PM']I see...it's still frickin loud though!
I've never had my one over 4 on the Master Volume, and that's at fairy large gigs, etc :)

For the OP, what about Matamp? I think if I were after a valve beast of an amp they'd be getting a call.

Good luck,
Jon[/quote]
My guitarists tell me to turn down at about 3 :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='718440' date='Jan 19 2010, 09:26 PM']My guitarists tell me to turn down at about 3 :)

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

woh! so pretty loud then!

300rms is gonna be loud enough i think with tube power!

the only thing that worries me is the secondhand part and cost of repairs if it goes wrong but i guess theres that with all amps! just like the idea of being covered with a warranty.

all you 400+ guys had any problems? also does the amp draw loads of power? my pro 6 does and has created some probs at gigs because of this?

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='718450' date='Jan 19 2010, 09:32 PM']woh! so pretty loud then!
300rms is gonna be loud enough i think with tube power!
the only thing that worries me is the secondhand part and cost of repairs if it goes wrong but i guess theres that with all amps! just like the idea of being covered with a warranty.
all you 400+ guys had any problems? also does the amp draw loads of power? my pro 6 does and has created some probs at gigs because of this?
andy[/quote]

Hi Andy,
It is as loud as sin and with a couple of sensitive & high powered cabinets it truly is a trouser flapper!
I think you're right about the risk part, it's true of any second hand kit. All I can suggest is look and see if it all looks original and all the parts/valves/etc are present and correct.

Mine's been solid as a rock and has been gigged hard up & down the country - a true war horse. Apart from regular maintenance it's been grand.
As for power consumption I don't know. It has 2 of the biggest transformers I've ever seen in an amp though...

Hope that helps a little?
Jon

[quote name='jonthebass' post='718464' date='Jan 19 2010, 09:43 PM']Hi Andy,
It is as loud as sin and with a couple of sensitive & high powered cabinets it truly is a trouser flapper!
I think you're right about the risk part, it's true of any second hand kit. All I can suggest is look and see if it all looks original and all the parts/valves/etc are present and correct.

Mine's been solid as a rock and has been gigged hard up & down the country - a true war horse. Apart from regular maintenance it's been grand.
As for power consumption I don't know. It has 2 of the biggest transformers I've ever seen in an amp though...

Hope that helps a little?
Jon[/quote]

right dnt mean to sound thick but what should it have? i know what tubes look like but thats it? anything to listen for while im playing?

well as far as cabs go im gonna stick with my 610 hlf, i really like it! i know some people disagree but we'll see im also looking at getting a set of mesa ph210's to use on the smaller gigs we do.

basically on the power draw thing what do you plug into? ie do you have to be in your own plug of have you plugged into the same supply in small gigs with the guitarists? (did that make sense?)

might have to get a massive rig on the go if it works really well at 2 ohms?! :-)

andy