Why become a member? ×

Miniature Stereo Rig - Your recommendations please

xilddx

I have rarely used an amp on stage, I rely on the monitors. But I think a tiny stereo rig would be very useful. I am thinking of putting a very small stereo rig which i can use in conjunction with my POD X3 LIVE. It would be for intimate gigs with no PA (with medium/low volume drummers), or for stage monitoring for larger gigs. I would DI to the FOH directly from the POD, the rig plays no part in the FOH sound.

This is the tricky bit. It needs to be almost a HiFi rig. I play a doubleneck bass and guitar in one band to it would need to cope with a full freq range.

I don't really need a fully featured preamp (is it possible to go direct to a power amp from a POD? I believe so but not sure of the implications).

The dimensions need to be REALLY small, I want very small cabs, like a Barefaced Midget size, but with reasonable bass response. I also need to do it on a small budget, low as possible and definitely under £500.

Any ideas? I'm virtually clueless as I have never owned a bass amp of any sort.

Thanks as always.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='705366' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:15 PM']Interesting! IMHO you would do very well to make guitar sound (really) good through bass cabs alone.[/quote]
If you're using amp and cab modelling on the Pod then it shouldn't be a problem, I would have thought.

However, why do you want a stereo rig? If its just for onstage monitoring surely you're not going to get the benefit of any stereo imaging that's going on, so a single cab would be better, would it not?

edit- you should be fine to run the Pod straight into a power amp or active speaker. As long as the levels are matched correctly I don't think it should give you any problems.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

[quote name='paganskins' post='705373' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:31 PM']A lot of the guitarists who use modeling based setups go straight into powered full range speakers like a pair of [url="http://www.mackie.com/products/srm350v2/"]these [/url][/quote]

Similarly, I was impressed by these [url="http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/POWEREDLOUDSPEAKERS/EVPXPSERIES/EVPX15PM/tabid/165/Default.aspx"]http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products...65/Default.aspx[/url] for monitoring. A Pair would certainly give you enough volume under your nose!

Gents, again, BC cures all :)

The SRM350v2 are absolutely what I need! Got a similar powered monitor rig in my home studio but I hadn't even considered anyone my make stageworthy ones! Fantastic!

Right, the reason I need stereo is because I run the two doubleneck outputs to left and right channels, but now I've briefly thought about it, I can still do that to the desk but route the 1/4inch outs to the speakers centre notched, just need to ensure the bass and guitar tones are volume balanced. Thanks VK for getting me thinking :rolleyes:

Not only is this a perfect solution, but it's also small and very cost effective.

Thank you SO MUCH!
Nigel

[quote name='silddx' post='705350' date='Jan 8 2010, 11:59 AM']I don't really need a fully featured preamp (is it possible to go direct to a power amp from a POD? I believe so but not sure of the implications).[/quote]

Yup! - There's info' in the manual about how best to achieve that. I don't use any bass amp models on my X3 for bass tones - only guitar sims, if needed.

[quote name='silddx' post='705442' date='Jan 8 2010, 01:29 PM']Thanks dood.

I adore the POD, only issues for me are volume balancing between patches and getting EQ right for PAs. Other than that, I doubt I'll ever want an amplifier as such. Superb bit of kit.

You only use guitar amp sims?[/quote]

T'is ok!

Well, what I meant is that I use the Dual paths all the time on the X3. Tone 1 is usually my bass tone - pretty much I would say was the equivalent of a DI only signal path from a normal bass signal chain - ie - no mic'd cabinet sound. It's just what I prefer. I think Guy Pratt does, or at least used to much prefer it too. However, when it comes to adding dirt to the tone - Well - despite being virtual - I like to emulate the recording method of feeding the bass through a guitar stack as well and then mix the two together in stereo. Duff McKagan, Tye Zamora and countless others use this method. Thing is, to get that nice amp tone that I want takes a bit of fiddling, but I can get what I want eventually!

[quote name='dood' post='705473' date='Jan 8 2010, 02:00 PM']T'is ok!

Well, what I meant is that I use the Dual paths all the time on the X3. Tone 1 is usually my bass tone - pretty much I would say was the equivalent of a DI only signal path from a normal bass signal chain - ie - no mic'd cabinet sound. It's just what I prefer. I think Guy Pratt does, or at least used to much prefer it too. However, when it comes to adding dirt to the tone - Well - despite being virtual - I like to emulate the recording method of feeding the bass through a guitar stack as well and then mix the two together in stereo. Duff McKagan, Tye Zamora and countless others use this method. Thing is, to get that nice amp tone that I want takes a bit of fiddling, but I can get what I want eventually![/quote]

Now I understand! I'm going to have a crack at that, I'm not completely happy with the couple of maxed out distortion bass tones I've set up but I've been using the Drive and the Bronze Master. Don't know why I didn't think of using guitar amp overdrive. Cheers.

[quote name='silddx' post='705491' date='Jan 8 2010, 02:08 PM']Now I understand! I'm going to have a crack at that, I'm not completely happy with the couple of maxed out distortion bass tones I've set up but I've been using the Drive and the Bronze Master. Don't know why I didn't think of using guitar amp overdrive. Cheers.[/quote]

I got so fed up with losing a decent bass tone everytime I added distortion - and guitar amp distortion is always better - so figured I'd mix the two. You may find that on the new distortion patch, you mighyt want to add a little more bottom - or take a bit of top off the bass tone sound - as I found that sometimes it can sound like two instruments playing as opposed to one integrated tone. I guess it depends on how you want it to sound, but try it! I had an e-chat with Dave Meros ages ago about how he sets up his gnarly bass tones and the X3 appears to be a simple way of using as little gear as possible. - I've just been taking a look at the Boss GT Pro rack and it looks like that does some nice 'dual path' stuff too - but haven't seen many samples of how it sounds.

[quote name='dood' post='705532' date='Jan 8 2010, 02:36 PM']I got so fed up with losing a decent bass tone everytime I added distortion - and guitar amp distortion is always better - so figured I'd mix the two. You may find that on the new distortion patch, you mighyt want to add a little more bottom - or take a bit of top off the bass tone sound - as I found that sometimes it can sound like two instruments playing as opposed to one integrated tone. I guess it depends on how you want it to sound, but try it! I had an e-chat with Dave Meros ages ago about how he sets up his gnarly bass tones and the X3 appears to be a simple way of using as little gear as possible. - I've just been taking a look at the Boss GT Pro rack and it looks like that does some nice 'dual path' stuff too - but haven't seen many samples of how it sounds.[/quote]
Great advice dood, I'll bear that in mind and see how I get on.

Cheers.