Why become a member? ×

Bergantino rigs

Plux_the_Duck

Just as an outside the normal loop, I'd suggest having a crack with a Joe Meek sixQ channel strip if you can source one.

I record with one regularly (actually a twinQ, but the 6Q is a mono strip so would suit the requirements better) and it is absolutely superb sounding.

If I had an IP rig, it would very high on my list of pre's to check out!

Excellent choice sir! If you're considering the Avalon U5 might I suggest SFX m:D2? [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk"]SFX Sound[/url]

It sounds remarkably similar to the Avalon but at an absolute fraction of the cost. Max is also a top guy to deal with so if had any custom options you'd like (I got loads on mine) he'd be more than happy to oblige.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='740041' date='Feb 9 2010, 03:08 PM']Excellent choice sir! If you're considering the Avalon U5 might I suggest SFX m:D2? [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk"]SFX Sound[/url]

It sounds remarkably similar to the Avalon but at an absolute fraction of the cost. Max is also a top guy to deal with so if had any custom options you'd like (I got loads on mine) he'd be more than happy to oblige.[/quote]

I've just had a look at that.

The only thing was when i was listening to the sound samples, Device 2 sounded better and i was hoping that was the m:D2 but it was the avalon. To my ears the m:D2 was a little too bright for my tastes on that recording but i won't be ruling it out! Anyway, its the extension speaker first :)

Well, if you could discern and quantify the difference between the two clips then your ears are more finely tuned than mine... and I like to think I'm pretty picky. I heard two clips that were so similar that any slight difference I might have perceived could easily have been due to slight variations in how the bass was played into the respective devices.

If you're interested though, please do drop Max an email as he does amazing work and will happily listen to and accommodate your needs.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='740626' date='Feb 10 2010, 08:51 AM']Well, if you could discern and quantify the difference between the two clips then your ears are more finely tuned than mine... and I like to think I'm pretty picky. I heard two clips that were so similar that any slight difference I might have perceived could easily have been due to slight variations in how the bass was played into the respective devices.

If you're interested though, please do drop Max an email as he does amazing work and will happily listen to and accommodate your needs.[/quote]

Hmm i'll take another listen when i get home!

I'm at my uncles in his studio so listen through some Tannoy Studio monitors and was sure i could here something! Who knows :)

I just need £500 now to get my other cab :rolleyes:

+1 Toasted. Interestingly, I found that the horn in the IP seemed 'subdued' when i first got it. But after I started using it I realised that this was what a balanced sound was, and this was the way horns/tweeters should sound. Made me realise that all other cabs I'd used with tweeters just had too much top end.

It's all subjective Jake :) just being honest and sharing my opinion.

Good point about the tweeters in Berg rigs.

Jim seems to be one of the only guys in bass who gets the idea that they aren't there to overhype extreme top, but to extend the natural top end by a few KHz.

The opposite of this for me was Bernie Goodfellow at the Brighton Bass day, he ran his basses through an EBS rig with so much ultra high top it was completely detracting from the bass. He seemed to like it (as did hordes of people admiring his stuff, and playing) but for me it was like I'd taken a bass channel on a desk and scooped all the mids and lows out then put in a 12dB shelving eq at about 3KHz, fine if thats the effect you are after I guess....

I really struggle to hear exactly where the tweeter takes over in my 410, unless I turn it off :) Compare this with an Eden rig, and its night and day!

A lot of this is down to exceptional crossover design as much as (or probably more than) the actual tweeter components from what I've read.

Plux's HT210 and HT115 have the big tweeter in, and that is capable of vicious top end, but set flat with no treble boost off the amp it sounds to me as if it starts lower than the bullet tweeters do, and is even more indiscernible.

They are a huge part of what makes Berg cabs the best IMO...

[quote name='Toasted' post='740652' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:17 AM']It's really worth it to get the EX112ER. I wouldnt pay the extra for the EX with a horn. The horn in the IP is more than enough.[/quote]

Yeh i don't need another horn, i've had my fun with the whole [i]Marcus[/i] thing with my various EBS setups!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='740660' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:26 AM']+1 Toasted. Interestingly, I found that the horn in the IP seemed 'subdued' when i first got it. But after I started using it I realised that this was what a balanced sound was, and this was the way horns/tweeters should sound. Made me realise that all other cabs I'd used with tweeters just had too much top end.

It's all subjective Jake :) just being honest and sharing my opinion.[/quote]

Oh i know, other players opinions are always extremely helpful. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Toasted' post='740729' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:36 AM']Nice rig Nick - I really want to try a TD-1 with my IP112 rig. Where did you get yours from? I remember The Gallery used to offer than for £999, but the lowest price I can find anywhere is £1500 at Thomann.[/quote]

Hi Joe and thanks

I got mine direct from the UK disributor, at the time I don't think Martin was stocking them.
I tried to find the receipt to confirm but I couldn't !! I think at the time the company was HHB.

[url="http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/uk/products/detail.asp?ID=785"]http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/uk/products/detail.asp?ID=785[/url]

I do recall speaking to a charming lady and haggled a good price too. :)