Why become a member? ×

Epi UL410 -v- TecAmp L410

fretmeister

[quote name='fretmeister' post='701548' date='Jan 5 2010, 01:19 PM']Anyone tried both these cabs?

I've been slightly thinking about a UL410 when the Tec caught my eye too.

Aside from the £300 price difference - anyone got any opinions on these 2?

ta[/quote]

I owned the original Tech-Soundsystems 4x10 (the ND410s) and the Epifani UL610. I would say the tech had the sweeter tone and the Epifani was a little more..ermm.. creamy/chewy. It's really hard to describe tone as it is really down to personal..well.. taste ha ha!!

Out of the two - if I had to purchase - I would probably go for the Techs as I preferred the tweeter sound/crossover - but the Epifani is still a blindingly good cabinet. Obviously the 610 on it's own had the better bottom end in comparison to a single Tech 410, as to be expected - but the pair of Techs I had made a fantastic 'mini 8x10' set up that never ever gave up when being given 'the juice' from my amps.

I haven't tried the newer style Tec-Amp cabinets yet - but I understand they are an improvement on the previous, with better speakers in. - Well - the originals were very good - so I think the new ones must be awesome!

That's just my personal taste - but to be honest - I would have either - just more likely to lean to the Tec gear.

Thank your dood-ness!

I think I'm going to split up the Rig of Doom and just go with 1 good amp and 1 good cab. It's not like I'm gigging these days so carting a 2 rig split system is a bit silly.

I like "chewy" sounds! I've always been a 12inch cone and a load of compression sort of bloke!

[quote name='fretmeister' post='701624' date='Jan 5 2010, 02:21 PM']Thank your dood-ness!

I think I'm going to split up the Rig of Doom and just go with 1 good amp and 1 good cab. It's not like I'm gigging these days so carting a 2 rig split system is a bit silly.

I like "chewy" sounds! I've always been a 12inch cone and a load of compression sort of bloke![/quote]

Ahh no problem! - I have to admit I was eye-ing up the Tech site just last night!

[quote name='fretmeister' post='701548' date='Jan 5 2010, 01:19 PM']Anyone tried both these cabs?

I've been slightly thinking about a UL410 when the Tec caught my eye too.

Aside from the £300 price difference - anyone got any opinions on these 2?

ta[/quote]
I haven't tried the Tech , but I have the UL410 , and it's great .

When it was reviewed in Bass Player , they loved it , but said that it maybe wasn't that great for rock styles .

I find that it'll do pretty much anything (all down to taste I know)

I see Dood mentioned the UL610 , and I bought his off of him . Awesome cab - think UL410 but more bottom if needed .

If you look at the web page of the Bass Gallery , you'll see the Epifani prices WELL down on what they were .
So much so that , the UL610 I bought from Dood , that was selling new for around £1500 , is now up for £900 -the price I paid 2nd hand :) I happily paid that , as it was a series one ( a bit lighter ) , and I bought , for me , the perfect cab .
If you check out their web page , the UL410's are now around £700 I think , not cheap , but a lot cheaper that they were .

The only problem I can see , is being able to AB both cabs , as it always seems to be that one retailer doesn't stock all of the high end bass gear . ie if you want Epi - it's the Gallery , Bergs - it's Bass Direct etc .

What we need , is for someone to win the Lottery jackpot :rolleyes: , and open a large unit factory , buy every possible cab on the market , and then set up a 410 room , a 112 room etc - to propery AB them , as by the time you've tried one at a shop , you've almost forgotten the sound when you have to travel miles to the next shop .

I'm rambling now I know .

Not sure where you are, but I'm gigging the L410 twice this month in Portsmouth if you want to check it out? I like having my backline loud so you might get to hear it quite well, but I guess it depends how well I manage to convince the sound guy to let me have it loud :)

What amp are you planning to use? The Epi doesn't sound great with all amps IME.I would get a series 1 4 ohm cab unless you have a big amp to push at 8ohms. The later ones can be heavy too I hear.

I've had a fantastic deep big tone with the UL410 using a QSC poweramp and EBSpre, also sounded great with a Markbass LM11 but not so good with my Puma or Glockenklang or Aguilar DB750.

Havent heard the 410 Tecamp but I have a M212 and S210 and have owned (briefly) a L610 and a L115.

I think they are very good cabs, very light and can take a load of power. Very modern sounding and probably a bit clearer than the Epi but not as naturally deep sounding as the Epi.

I've run an 8 ohm Epifani UL410 with all of my amps and they all sounded great. At approx 300 watts into 8 ohms I easily kept up with a very loud guitarist and drummer so I don't subscribe to the 4 ohm is better than 8 ohm debate. I haven't tried a Tecamp cab.

[quote]so I don't subscribe to the 4 ohm is better than 8 ohm debate[/quote]

I don't think I was taking part in any such debate but wouldn't it make sense to buy a cab that matches your amp and gives most power?(Assuming you are after a single cab option)

In fact if I wanted a single Epi410 I would get an 8ohm because the Puma puts 1000w into 8ohm and 500 into 4 ohm.

[quote name='Flanker' post='702417' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:42 AM']....I don't think I was taking part in any such debate but wouldn't it make sense to buy a cab that matches your amp and gives most power?(Assuming you are after a single cab option) In fact if I wanted a single Epi410 I would get an 8ohm because the Puma puts 1000w into 8ohm and 500 into 4 ohm....[/quote]
Well, there have been many postings about 4 vs 8 so I just mentioned it in passing. I think that you get a better sound and tone by adding another speaker cab not running your amp louder so 1 or 2 8 ohm cabs are my preference.

As always IMO IME