Why become a member? ×

Bass Combo's

stufunkybass

Hi all,

Merry Christmas and all that!!

I would like to obtain some opinions on Bass combos.

After a 10 month break from bass playing I find myself back in a band set up with 2 loud guitarists a drummer and keyboard player. I sold my Markbass set up to raise cash for a new car and now find myself on the hunt for a cheap rig/combo.

We always DI the bass so a combo would do the job. In the past with the band I used an Ashdown 4x10 abm series combo but remember when I trapped a nerve lifting it out the car! (No fun!) so something of that size is a no no.

Recently I missed out on a nice series 6 Trace 2x10 combo on ebay and whilst I continue to look at both ebay and the mighty Bass Chat! I would like some recommendations from my fellow"Chatters".

My budget is £250 - £300 (yes I know it sounds like I should be on Ready Steady Cook!) but there are some bargains out there!

Anyway I welcome thoughts recommendations and donations ! LOL!

Cheers

Happy 2010!!!

Stu

[quote name='chris_b' post='694796' date='Dec 28 2009, 12:33 PM']How loud is loud? I don't like combos and would always go for a separate amp and several cabs. I think it's more flexible, you get more for your money and you can upgrade more easily.[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The guitarists use valve loaded Fender amps just small combos (single 12 I think).

I think one of them is deaf! lol!

Any recommendations? you can get a good deal on Hartke heads and cabs on ebay it seems?

Cheers

Stu

Why not an older Trace Elliot combo? They're built like tanks, even though small ones are heavy, you do get lots of omph for little financial outlay. There's a TE [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-1215-300-watt-bass-combo_W0QQitemZ110474871935QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19b8d0c47f#ht_500wt_959"]1215[/url] at 300 watts on the 'bay at the mo.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='695905' date='Dec 29 2009, 08:39 PM']Why not an older Trace Elliot combo? They're built like tanks, even though small ones are heavy, you do get lots of omph for little financial outlay. There's a TE [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-1215-300-watt-bass-combo_W0QQitemZ110474871935QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19b8d0c47f#ht_500wt_959"]1215[/url] at 300 watts on the 'bay at the mo.[/quote]

Hi,

Cheers for the response, I noticed this one yesterday I will keep a close eye on it!

Thanks again.

Stu

[quote name='chris_b' post='694796' date='Dec 28 2009, 07:33 AM']How loud is loud? I don't like combos and would always go for a separate amp and several cabs. I think it's more flexible, you get more for your money and you can upgrade more easily.[/quote]+1. Combos are made to be convenient, and to keep the overall size, weight and cost down they usually compromise on the quality of the speakers. Even if the drivers are of decent quality when the cab is too small they just won't work well.

I've been doing small gigs with an Ampeg B115 - the tube preamp version.

I have a loud drummer and one loudish (insane Boogie combo) guitar to cope with. The Ampeg just about cuts the mustard if I give it more middle than I actually like.

Funkmaster Dave uses a GK MB150 - mostly with it's dedicated extension cab - and his Warwick always sounds well against another noisy guitarist (insane Rivera - choice of 2!) , a quiet guitarist (Blues Jnr) and a quiet drummer.

Hoping I might get to play my fretless through it at their gig tonight (grovel , crawl etc in case he's reading this!)

The 'trouble' with combos to me is that if you get one large enough to gig with the bloody thing's heavier than going the small amp/cab route - which despite my efforts to prove otherwise has always been better for me.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='697020' date='Dec 31 2009, 10:42 AM']I've been doing small gigs with an Ampeg B115 - the tube preamp version.

I have a loud drummer and one loudish (insane Boogie combo) guitar to cope with. The Ampeg just about cuts the mustard if I give it more middle than I actually like.

Funkmaster Dave uses a GK MB150 - mostly with it's dedicated extension cab - and his Warwick always sounds well against another noisy guitarist (insane Rivera - choice of 2!) , a quiet guitarist (Blues Jnr) and a quiet drummer.

Hoping I might get to play my fretless through it at their gig tonight (grovel , crawl etc in case he's reading this!)

The 'trouble' with combos to me is that if you get one large enough to gig with the bloody thing's heavier than going the small amp/cab route - which despite my efforts to prove otherwise has always been better for me.[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for the input the New Ampeg stuff (made in China) doesnt really seem that good - The combo you have sounds like it's one that was made in The US when the Ampeg combos were the business.

I have my eye on a couple of old series 6 Trace heads as I know they are good! The next venture would be a couple of 2x10's or a 2x10 and a compact 15" they seem to come up every now and then.

Thanks again for the input.

Cheers

Stu

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='695905' date='Dec 29 2009, 08:39 PM']Why not an older Trace Elliot combo? They're built like tanks, even though small ones are heavy, you do get lots of omph for little financial outlay. There's a TE [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trace-Elliot-1215-300-watt-bass-combo_W0QQitemZ110474871935QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19b8d0c47f#ht_500wt_959"]1215[/url] at 300 watts on the 'bay at the mo.[/quote]

Not wishing to jump your thread but also been looking at this old bus.....is that amp from 1999...the serial number ends something like 1199...I'm sure it had a buy it now price of £350 a little while ago?

....just asking as I'm not too clued up, but would something like a new Hartke be better value?

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='697789' date='Jan 1 2010, 11:25 AM']Not wishing to jump your thread but also been looking at this old bus.....is that amp from 1999...the serial number ends something like 1199...I'm sure it had a buy it now price of £350 a little while ago?

....just asking as I'm not too clued up, but would something like a new Hartke be better value?[/quote]

Hi,

Cheers for the info.

I'm not sure how good Hartke are these days I want something reliable. There is some good looking old Trace stuff on ebay at the moment. I would welcome any thoughts on Hartke stuff as it is good value.

Cheers

Stu