Why become a member? ×

Squire vintage modified jazz

jezzaboy

I want a Jazz. Don`t bloomin need one but the yearning is there. I`ve had a few Mexican ones and while they are okay, I always fancied a 75 re-issue. Now, not having the spondoolies for one, I was thinking of getting one of the Squires (not much differance eh?). I just like the natural finish.

Could someone whose got one tell me what it`s like? Is it gigable the way it is? If I keep it for a while I might upgrade it. Cheers for any info.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='694458' date='Dec 27 2009, 07:06 PM']I want a Jazz. Don`t bloomin need one but the yearning is there. I`ve had a few Mexican ones and while they are okay, I always fancied a 75 re-issue. Now, not having the spondoolies for one, I was thinking of getting one of the Squires (not much differance eh?). I just like the natural finish.

Could someone whose got one tell me what it`s like? Is it gigable the way it is? If I keep it for a while I might upgrade it. Cheers for any info.

Jez[/quote]

Tried one in Mansons the other day...way better than the Classic Vibe acoustically but the pickups are a little lo-fi sounding, lacking bandwidth. Frets were not very well dressed and the neck was a bit chipped on the binding I'd say they're very decent if you can choose a good one, can spend the extra to swap out the pickups and can put up with the extra weight...they're not light.

Still liking mine.
Yes, they can be a bit on the heavy side, due to the Maple body.
The stock pick-ups aren't so good- I'll probably change those next.
Mine's wearing a BadAss II bridge, which was a straight swap for the old one. I could get a suitably low action from the original, but the BadAss just sounds better. It now wears DR FatBeams, too, though I may switch to Sunbeams next time around.

I've done a couple of dozen gigs with mine and its been excellent.

Although I have fitted wizard pick ups and a badass, the first few gigs were played with it in its original condition with the standard hardware and it all worked fine.

The upgrades were money well spent and it's now a first class gigging instrument.

They are a cracking bass, but I did have try a few before i found the one.

you beat me to asking this question :)

....I still have the option on the Yamaha BB614 I have been offered ......but have been told by 2 guys I have never met (isn't the 'tinternet a wonderful thing!) that I will not notice much of difference [b]tonewise[/b][i][/i] between my RBX-374 and the BB-614...which I find a little strange but hey I'm very new to bass.
Both Yammies are active but mine uses 2x Humbuckers and the BB614 uses 2 x split coils+1 single coil soapbar, I love my RNX-374 but the sound is how can I say a little too 'bright' at times.

I want a 'funky' sound...if that it's possible to define that and if the only way is get proper jazz pups i.e. 2 x single pups then the Squier VMJ looks good to me.

I play a lot of Jamiroquai stuff and late 70's, 80's finger funk and this You Tube Squier Vintage Modified Jazz has THE TONE I long for...thing is, he has changed out the strings, to D'Addario's, and this " [i]All recordings are made with the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass or my 5 string Stingray with Piezo.

Both basses go through the BBE Bmax into Motu recording equipment. Then in Logic Studio I've added a routing to the Art Digital MPA tube pre-amp with NOS russian tubes. Give a nice little dirt en saturation to the sound.[/i][b][/b]"

he may as well be talking greek, it doesn't mean a thing to me...would it effect the end tone of the Squier MVJ?

Here is the guitar in action, Runaway by Jamiroquai

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYUJDgutkA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYUJDgutkA[/url]

Edited by iconic

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='694683' date='Dec 28 2009, 08:49 AM']I had one when they first came out. As Alex mentioned, the stock pickups aren't up to a deal, but that's an easy one to solve.

The newer Classic Vibe Jazz is a much better proposition all round, though. It has tons of output & the quality is up there with the best.[/quote]

Do the pickups make it sound more like a jazz though? Because acoustically, the one I tried just didn't have the warmth of the VMJ, which in the case of the latter definitely translated to the plugged-in tone. (Didn't get to try the CV plugged in)

[quote]Art Digital MPA tube pre-amp[/quote]

This will make a noticeable difference

I`ts got a Gotoh OEM style bridge in black chrome and a set of tuners I had from my Highway p bass. Nothing fancy as I don`t want to spend a wad of cash on it at the moment. Ordered the knobs from Bass parts direct and fitted a set of d`arrios I had kicking about.

Jez :)

I popped into my local music shop yesterday to have a look over the VMJ they had in stock, they look so cool and a lot of guys seem to like them I thought hmm gota be worth a looky see and I was even armed with my flexible friend :)

I gota say I was so dissapointed by the build quality of the example I held, maybe the quality is variable, if so they may not be a bass to buy by mail order....I suspect you may need to look at a few and pick the best one...this one was the last puppy in the shop.

The example in the shop had some real sharp edges on the bridge which seems like a very cheap simple pressed steel item, there were rough ground edges on the fret sides too....it had audible unplugged fret buzz on both E and A strings and the action was set very high too, nothing that can't be sorted I suppose.....hopefully this VMJ was just a Friday afternoon one?

...I was so dissapointed I didn't even have a play, which I regret now....I know [b]lemonade[/b] money isn't going to buy a [b]champagne[/b] bass but looking at my Yamaha when I got back, that Squier screamed cheap build and the Yamaha is simply lovely.

I wish yamaha made an old school sounding Jazz :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you on try before you buy. I could have got mine a bit cheaper on the net but having read other threads I decided to try before I bought it. I can say that the build quality of mine is good with nicely finished frets etc. The body looks quite nice as well for a budget bass. I`m taking it to rehersal tomorrow night so I will find out how well the stock pickups sound at "real" volume.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='695593' date='Dec 29 2009, 02:07 PM']Totally agree with you on try before you buy. I could have got mine a bit cheaper on the net but having read other threads I decided to try before I bought it. I can say that the build quality of mine is good with nicely finished frets etc. The body looks quite nice as well for a budget bass. I`m taking it to rehersal tomorrow night so I will find out how well the stock pickups sound at "real" volume.

Jez[/quote]

I really wanted to love that bass and it's good to hear that the quality can be better, like I said, this was a bad 'ern....

Please chime back, I soooo want that bass to sound great std...I'm still kicking myself for getting the hump and not playing it!

These bass sure are popular,

I rang around all the usual suspects (one of the big boys having them as 'Squire') and the only guys to have one in stock were GAK in Brighton UK, great price too @ £224, + £10 delivery....there is a real spread of costs most expensive being £289 + delivery :)...next delivery of these models due end of Jan 2010.

Found one s/h on a local ad' website for £180 'as new', the ad' was 3 days old but sold...that's a decent turnaround & even better residuals for a budget bass!

link to bass guitar review

[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124:squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-issue-34&catid=37:bassguitars"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.ph...=37:bassguitars[/url]

Big Blocks? Extra grunt? BGM takes a look under the bonnet of the hot-rodded Modified Jazz Bass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fender Squier brand (named loosely after the string manufacturing company Fender purchased when it flexed its corporate muscle in 1965) has always represented Fender’s take on affordability with a sense of quality and vibe of the “real thang” – the Fender USA range. It’s a tough challenge and one that even within the Squier range allows prices to cover true starter budget basses running the Affinity banner or the instrument range we have here – the Deluxe series.

The Vintage Modified Jazz Bass replicates the 70s Fender basses with block inlays and binding, in this case black rather than pearl, onto a smooth feeling and slinky neck. All the regular Jazz Bass appointments are present. An offset soft maple body houses a pair of Duncan Designed single coil pickups (nerd alert: the pickup spacing, centre to centre is 3.6-inches and not the 70s correct 4.0-inch spacing) with exposed polepieces. A chrome control plate houses two volumes and master tone control whilst tuning and intonation is taken care of via four large cloverleaf style machineheads and a basic but sturdy adjustable bridge. The bass is a good looker – those 70s style details delight and the natural finish is applied over an evenly grained body.

The details both inspire and disappoint; luckily the good far outweighs the bad. On the plus side we find excellent finishing of both the gloss lacquered body and the matt finish neck. The fret ends are just short of the end of the plastic binding but sit over it rather than butting up to a slight lip as per the original basses. At £279 retail it’s a totally acceptable and (when it comes to refretting) reliable method. The set-up was buzz free and of medium height. A tad lower would be my preference but with a more easily accessible truss rod adjuster at the nut end, slightly tightening the neck relief would be a straight forward job.

The only detail that suggests we have a lesser instrument on review centres around the hardware and in particular the screws. Holding the machine heads to the headstock are screws which just with factory securing have already lost most of their shape. The intonation screws at the bridge also appear less than robust although adjustments were easily made in practice.

In use the instrument performs like its original brethren balancing slightly headstock heavy yet with a fast smooth playing ease that overcomes any thoughts of aching shoulders. The body cut-outs provide a natural playing stance when stood up and access to the top of the 20 frets is unhindered apart from the very last fret. This probably won’t be of concern to most players, after all, the Jazz Bass design has had its greatest success churning out hits below the 7th fret…

Sonically the upgrades make themselves clearly heard over an Affinity Series Jazz. Ambitiously we employed the Squier through our two valve head shoot-out amplifiers and whilst it was clearly the weakest link amongst the other top-notch basses we used it didn’t let the side down. As expected the neck pickup was rounded and smooth when soloed: a good candidate for vintage, fat grooves. It lacked a little warmth compared to higher spec basses but performed beyond its price tag. Back to the bridge pickup and the expected bite of a single Jazz pickup cut through. Again, some settings suggested a little harshness but only when compared to basses more than four times the price.

These days most inexpensive basses perform the starter role well and it takes something a little more special to get noticed. Very minor component issues noted above, the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass delivers in spades. Its playability makes it easy for beginners or the more experienced and tonally it punches above what it’s price tag might suggest. A first bass, a decent upgrade or an expert’s second bass, this is a safe bet.

Adrian Ashton

Edited by iconic

Took the Jazz down to rehersals on wednesday night and played it through a Ashdown ABM and a Ampeg 8x10. It sounded quite good with the stock pickups. I usually use full neck and about 3/4 on the bridge with the tone around half way (better watch out, I`m begining to sound like a bass player).

Overall impression:quite good for the price, altough I don`t know how it would fare with the standard tuners and bridge. I`m gonna keep the stock pickups for now and the only other mods will be an upgrade for the pots and jack and mabye a Fender logo and a gloss finish to the headstock.
Here`s a couple of photos,

Jez
[attachment=39091:DSC01330.JPG]
[attachment=39092:DSC01329.JPG]

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='697989' date='Jan 1 2010, 02:50 PM']Took the Jazz down to rehersals on wednesday night and played it through a Ashdown ABM and a Ampeg 8x10. It sounded quite good with the stock pickups. I usually use full neck and about 3/4 on the bridge with the tone around half way (better watch out, I`m begining to sound like a bass player).

Overall impression:quite good for the price, altough I don`t know how it would fare with the standard tuners and bridge. I`m gonna keep the stock pickups for now and the only other mods will be an upgrade for the pots and jack and mabye a Fender logo and a gloss finish to the headstock.
Here`s a couple of photos,

Jez
[attachment=39091:DSC01330.JPG]
[attachment=39092:DSC01329.JPG][/quote]

wow, now that's cool old vintage gasfire too!

How would describe the tone........there really should be a standardised glossery for tone....

• 3 months later...

I've just bought a Squier Jazz Vintage Modified LH and what can I say - it's amazing. Bargain price of £234.99, as soon as I played it in store I made my mind up to hand over the cash. I've been after a Jazz bass for many years but being a leftie, the USA Fenders come at a price (£1100+). The Squier is sold bodied bold on neck with the all elusive maple fretboard. The sound is fantastic, and that's coming from someone who has a USA P-bass and a Rick 4003. I'm no expert but I think I know what I'm talking about. My main bass is the P, the Rick is still an object of desire at the moment but now I am in total love with this Squier. I never thought I'd say this about a squier but these are probably the best Squiers ever made since the Jap ones of the 80's. Why pay more.

Edited by Minky