Why become a member? ×

Steinberger Spirit - I need a carbon neck to fit it

xilddx

I have a Steinberger Spirit double neck but I want to replace the slightly lame quality wooden neck with a bolt on carbon neck. Trouble is I can't find anyone who makes them, Moses don't, Steinberger don't as far as I know.

Anyone have any ideas where I might find one to fit?

Cheers.

Edited by silddx

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought Status might be able to do something of that order so the suggestion is gratefully received. I thought i might struggle with this one to be honest. The existing neck isn't too bad but it won't take a low action, got a bit of a snake relief going on so a serious fret level is the only other option.

[quote name='silddx' post='695840' date='Dec 29 2009, 07:19 PM']Thanks for that, I hadn't thought Status might be able to do something of that order so the suggestion is gratefully received. I thought i might struggle with this one to be honest. The existing neck isn't too bad but it won't take a low action, got a bit of a snake relief going on so a serious fret level is the only other option.[/quote]

Yeouch that sounds ugly....... Would a fret level sort it? sounds like if its warped that much then a stoning job wont help...... :)

If carbon neck is a step too far, maybe just source a Warmoth neck thats straight....?

I'm sorry but I dont really know what the Spirit is. Is it the headless jobby with a bass on top and a elec on bottom?

And are you talking about having both necks replaced or only the one? I understand that steinburgers have wooden fingerboards?

I'm asking becasue i dont reckon a headless carbon fiber neck with a wooden fingerboard wouldnt be THAT hard to make if you had the originals to work from. Not cheap though as a decent mould (or pair of moulds) would have to be done in tooling board, and the lay done wet and baked in an autoclave... and im honestly not sure what would be going on INSIDE the neck... so maybe it would be a bit tricky... but it is an option if youre really serious about it i guess. probably majorly expensive though.

With a wooden bolt on headless neck to be made for you though, i cant imagine it costing very much at all.

Thanks gents, I'll pursue some of these suggestions.

To answer Burpster's last comment, the neck isn't warped, it's just got the common bolt-on problem where the truss rod only affects part of the neck. It's not too bad, I'll mess around with it a bit more.

The pups and tronics are probably going to have to go too.

Steinberger graphite necks don't fit the spirit models, according to the Moses website. The Moses Steinberger blend necks are very good though, waaaay better than the dreadful floppy things they make for jazz and stingray basses.

[quote name='silddx' post='698830' date='Jan 2 2010, 04:50 PM']Thanks very much for the pinch on the Status fellas! Unfortunately, I am convinced it won't fit without major surgery.

I leveled and dressed the frets and the action's down a little, I think I can live with it, possibly :)[/quote]

Is it the whole action thats high or just one side....? Was wondering if a shim might help.....?

B.