Why become a member? ×

1974 /75 USA Fender Jazz (4 bolt).

karlfer

Hi folks.
Had this Jazz over 20 years. Not used live for last 5, as scared of drunks falling on it.Will never gig it again, so finally decided to stop wasting it.
Serial number dates it to 74, pots to 75.

Bad bits. (Please bear in mind, whilst I've had it 20 years, there is 15 years of it's history prior to that)
It's been stripped over 20 years ago.
Nut is not original.
Don't think scratchplate is original (think it should have been white).
Frets are worn. It will need a re-fret at some time in the future.
Fag burns, hairline splits in neck (you cant feel them, and they have been there a very long time with no change).

Good bits.
Very light.
Very fast.
Sounds fantastic (subjective)
Was my main bass for 15 years of gigging.

There is some discussion on this bass on the forum Bass Guitars, under the topic "74 Jazz identification issues". Sorry, I have no idea how to post a link.
Perhaps the most important comment is by Lozbass.

Who should be interested in this?
Session musician or somebody who does gigs where the audience isn't at their feet!
My feedback on ebay can be checked as karl5066. Just set up by Richard Tomson, luthier, Wigan (check him on internet). Neck/truss rod fine.
Apologies for photos as I do not have a digital camera.
I think I can provide an attachment of the bass live, 5 years ago, but I think this may need to go to a private email address as I couldn't do that to a bass chat address last time.
If interested, £1500 cash, collected. I think it is worth that. If Bass Chatters don't agree, sorry, but it's my valuation that counts.If it doesn't go here, or later on evil bay, then it doesn't go.
I will meet free of charge up to 50 miles radius of WIGAN.
Only trade I would be interested in is good condition, fairly recent Rick 4003 or 4004.
Right, lets see if I can do the photo's bit.
Cheers,
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

OK, no intention of bumping this for several days, however, 164 views and no comments in 1 day rings alarm bells that people are getting to price and thinking, "You have ta be jokin' bonny lad".

I would like to explain my thinking, for what it's worth.

1. Many 70's basses have been messed with. This has only been slightly messed with, apart from the paint having been stripped.(Big issue but it was done over 20 years ago).
2. Good 70's basses, bad 70's basses. This is a peach in my opinion.
3. As time goes by genuine 70's basses will become fewer and further between.
4. Unlikely to become less valuable over the coming years.
5. Some 70's basses on ebay seem a bit questionable, yet still bring higher prices than I am looking for.

I could keep it as an "investment" but to be brutally honest it is money sat there that could be used elsewhere. (A Rick for starters!)

If it doesn't go on here, or later on the bay, I will sell one of my 2 modern jazzes (Geddy and Highway 1), and use this as back up, but leave it in the case, next to me, at gigs.
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='693487' date='Dec 25 2009, 08:39 PM']OK, no intention of bumping this for several days, however, 164 views and no comments in 1 day rings alarm bells that people are getting to price and thinking, "You have ta be jokin' bonny lad".

I would like to explain my thinking, for what it's worth.

1. Many 70's basses have been messed with. This has only been slightly messed with, apart from the paint having been stripped.(Big issue but it was done over 20 years ago).
2. Good 70's basses, bad 70's basses. This is a peach in my opinion.
3. As time goes by genuine 70's basses will become fewer and further between.
4. Unlikely to become less valuable over the coming years.
5. Some 70's basses on ebay seem a bit questionable, yet still bring higher prices than I am looking for.

I could keep it as an "investment" but to be brutally honest it is money sat there that could be used elsewhere. (A Rick for starters!)

If it doesn't go on here, or later on the bay, I will sell one of my 2 modern jazzes (Geddy and Highway 1), and use this as back up, but leave it in the case, next to me, at gigs.
Cheers,
Karl.[/quote]

I wouldnt panic yet... its christmas day! Most people will be takin a break from the bass hunting!
Seems a bit pricey to me.... but what would I know. Not very much tbh.

Edited by Jesso

My tuppence (old money albeit the bass is after 1971) worth is that it's a '73, the tuner 'ears' merge into the shaft and don't 'step in' whch they changed in '73... however Fender were (are?) notorious for assemblig instruments from batches of parts produced at different times.... bottom line... who cares!!! gorgeous bass and if i had the pennies i'd be talking which services we were meeting at! Don't worry about slow starts, quality counts... the new owner already knows if they've seen it, if not they will when they clap eyes.... have a good Christmas and relax... or drink too much..:))

Andy

As indicated in Karlfer's earlier thread on dating, I've had the real pleasure of playing this bass around a year ago. It is without doubt the fastest, slickest Fender Jazz neck I've ever played - it's a superb example (one of the best) of an early to mid '70s Jazz. It's really classy bass all round and certainly looks the part. It's fairly light (unlike my '76), has lots of wear but isn't 'beaten'. I've played a lot of Jazz basses and would certainly recommend this to anybody looking for a 'player' vintage instrument - I'd be amazed if you'd find better. The strip is a shame and the bass does need a sympathetic and very high quality (Gallery?) re-fret. However, IMO this is a superb bass at a realistic(ish) price

[quote name='karlfer' post='693487' date='Dec 25 2009, 08:39 PM']OK, no intention of bumping this for several days, however, 164 views and no comments in 1 day rings alarm bells that people are getting to price and thinking, "You have ta be jokin' bonny lad".[/quote]

FWIW I think that fifteen hundred is a pretty reasonable price for an easly 70s Jazz in the condition described. It's a refin, sure, but original finishes can go for a grand more.

Many thanks for the input fellas.

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem impatient, I was just concerned the advert (and price) was putting people off.
Trying to be as honest as poss, we have all seen dodgy descriptions and dodgier looking basses.

Thanks again Lozbass ( I can't remember if it's Lawrence or Laurence and I know I raise my eyes to the sky when I get Carl and not Karl!).

Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='aznbass' post='693523' date='Dec 25 2009, 11:31 PM']I would'nt know much, but that price is not too far off the cost of a new 75 reissue, so the price must be pretty damn good i think!

Good luck selling it!![/quote]

Thanks aznbass (now got some time to thank you). And a damn fine New Year to you and everybody.

Looked on ebay today, '75, US re-issue £1549. As these are still available, I guess they would depreciate over the 1st few years.
That series appear to be the 3 bolt neck,unlike my 4 bolt, so I guess that was the 1st year jazzes had 3 bolt?

Couple of years back when I was looking for a gigging replacement for this jazz, I tried a Japanese '75 re-issue and remember thinking it was nice, but about the same weight as a Ford Focus, therefore not for me.

Cheers,
Karl.

I have my eye on something specific on here. There has been considerable interest in this jazz, but only a couple of firm exchanges, neither of which were quite right for me.

My jazz is now in Richard Tomson's of Wigan, getting a set up, and the dis-lodged wire soldered back. I get it back on Thurs.(please check his reputation on the 'net)

I am prepared to drop the price of this bass to £1400, cash on collection, if the deal is completed before noon on Saturday 9th Jan.

If I haven't completed the sale by then, it will certainly be back up to £1500, but will most likely be withdrawn and most likely I will put my Geddy up for sale.

I really can't afford the luxury of 3 jazzes.

Many thanks for looking,
Cheers,
Karl.

• 3 weeks later...