Why become a member? ×

Driver repair

Bloc Riff Nut

Please Help Meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Whilst practicing thhis morning I noticed a dent in one of the speakers ( I think you guys call them DRIVERS/new to me) of my Markbass CMD 102P.
It's in the central dome in the middle of the cone. Can this affect the performance and sound? Is it possible to remove it, I've had it open but there's no way of getting at it from behind, it's enclosed; but you already knew that, RIGHT!

Are there any tricks of the trade for removing it, maybe it can be sucked out with a vacuum or something? Just guessing 'cause I'm desperate.
How could something like this even happen? I'm really careful with my stuff and it's never been past two thirds.

Christmas greetings,

Phil. :)

Some people fix it by holding a vacuum *near* it to pull it out, others have pulled it out by using a bit of masking tape (which isn't too sticky).

As for affecting tone/performance, I'm not sure it will, as it's there to prevent dust getting into the voice coil.

Someone will probably correct me!

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='692226' date='Dec 23 2009, 12:55 PM']Just pray that statement never gets quoted out of context... :)

:rolleyes:[/quote]
Hey guys thanks for the tips.

I thought the tape idea was genius. so I tried it. NOT RECOMENDED!!!!
The Markbass CMD 102P driver dust covers are made of a thick pitch-black paper. The tape didn't budge it a mm, it just took off the upper layer of paper leaving a very slightly lighter colour behind. OOPS!

So I moved on to, what to me seemed a much riskier option, the vacuum cleaner. Would it swallow my speaker whole or just tear out its heart?
Our vacuum cleaner has an adjustable power dial so I started off low. But it didn't do a thing, so I went to full power and HEY PRESTO, it sucked that baby right into shape... and then it flopped back in... so I sucked again and it flopped back in. After a tug-of-war it eventually stayed out. I'm left with some slight creases and a barely visible tape mark but it did the trick.

Greetings ,

Phil.

This is something that happened to me with a Peavey speaker which had an aluminium dust cap. The vacuum technique worked fine. I also have use the pin technique on a PA speaker when the vacuum had no impact. You could leave it as it is as it will not affect the sound, but I guess it is the idea that it is dented.