Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot BFC Cab problem

Pow_22

First off im totally useless when it comes to amps n cabs. Anyway i got what i thought was a bargain TE BFC cab off ebay. However, i noticed now that only the 1x15 is working and there is absolutely no noise form the 4x10's. I know im using a very underpowered head (Ashdown MAG 300) so i know im not doing the cab justice but it was very cheap. Would the head im using be the cause of this or does (like i assume) it sound like there maybe a loose connection to the 4x10 part of the cab. As i say im fairly amatuer on back line stuff so plain english answers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers for the reply. Im actually in Bolton. There is just one lead that comes from the cab, a kind of ''turn n lock'' pin with one jack to the amp. I assumed it was just a loose connection because there isnt even a hiss or anything from the 4X10's. My main concern was that my head just couldnt power the cab (the cab is 1000w) but i thought they would at LEAST make some sort of noise. Ill have a drive up to the studio where i keep it later armed with a screwdriver n solder iron see if i can see any loose wires. Cheers

Hi, they were intended for Bi amping but there is definately only one input socket on the cab, its like a big chunky locking pin, possibly the 4 pole you mentioned. Ill have a sneaky peak behind the input panel to see if theres anything obvious and if not ill have to lug all 87kg of it to an amp tech

Hmmm... From the manual for the matching AH1000:

[quote]There is a further speaker output provided with the SPEAKON connector on the extreme right
side of the amplifier. This is for use only with the special Stereo Bi-Amp cabinet ( called the BFC )
that has been designed to operate exclusively with the AH1000 to provide a full stereo bi-amp
speaker configuration in one cabinet with the only interconnection required being this one
SPEAKON socket.
This special cabinet can operate in FULL RANGE MONO, or FULL RANGE STEREO, in BI-
AMP MONO or BI-AMP STEREO merely by using the OUTPUT MODE switches on the AH1000.

This has reduced what used to be a nightmare of interconnections using external power
amplifiers and probably four cabinets to a single amplifier head ( the AH1000 ) with a single
connection ( 1 x SPEAKON ) to a single cabinet ( the BFC ).[/quote]

I'm not sure how they are handling that amount of options via a single speakon, but it should be an easy job to replace the existing speakon and rewire the cab for full range operation.

Ive just looked at the SPEAKON efforts on ebay. That is what im using at the moment. Its a Speakon connector that goes into the cab (turns and locks) then a single Jack that goes into the amp. So you think the cab may need rewiring to work with a 'normal' bass head?

[quote name='Pow_22' post='686303' date='Dec 16 2009, 01:43 PM']Ive just looked at the SPEAKON efforts on ebay. That is what im using at the moment. Its a Speakon connector that goes into the cab (turns and locks) then a single Jack that goes into the amp. So you think the cab may need rewiring to work with a 'normal' bass head?[/quote]

Ey up pal

I live in chorley, if you can't sort it out and want somebody to look it over drop me a pm and bring it over. It will be a very simply job to see how its wired up and check if the drivers are working. Of course if you are getting here on a bus it wont be that simple..... :)

Dave

[quote name='Pow_22' post='686303' date='Dec 16 2009, 01:43 PM']Ive just looked at the SPEAKON efforts on ebay. That is what im using at the moment. Its a Speakon connector that goes into the cab (turns and locks) then a single Jack that goes into the amp. So you think the cab may need rewiring to work with a 'normal' bass head?[/quote]

I'm guessing that the speakon in that cab has more than the two poles usually found in cabs. I think I'm right in saying that GK use 4 pole connections for their Bi amp connections, but since the BFC can be arranged as 250w a side stereo 10" and bi amped with the 15", there must be more poles than standard.

The speakon to jack you're using is only going to give a standard two pole output, regardless of what type of speakon the BFC is fitted with.

BFC is in fact 3 cabs in 1.

2 x 2x10s+ tweeter and a single 1x15-inch. Each is 4-ohms and has to be driven separately. The connection panel should have the wiring details for the 4-pole Speakon. 3-poles are used for each set of speakers, the 4th is the common return.

I had one for a while and tried a number of different ways to drive it but ideally you need 3 power amps or an AH1000.

Rewiring is not an option as there is no way you can get 4 or 8 ohms from 3 x 4-ohms. I thought about changing the 15-inch speaker for an 8-ohm version but the manufacturer had gone out of business and there was no other direct replacement.

[quote name='Pow_22' post='686328' date='Dec 16 2009, 02:00 PM']so effectively it could all be down the lead i was given with the cab i.e this lead is for the matching TE bass head and as im using an Ashdown i need a different lead? Sorry for being thick![/quote]

Nothing to do with the lead. read my post above.

[quote name='Pow_22' post='686334' date='Dec 16 2009, 02:06 PM']Ahh ok, so effectively unless i shell out for the AH1000 or the power amps i have no chance of powering all the sepakers in the cab?. Maybe it wasnt such a bargain after all, might be time to look for a new cab[/quote]

Now you know why I sold mine.

[quote name='Pow_22' post='686398' date='Dec 16 2009, 03:17 PM']Anyone know how much these cabs are actually worth, guessing not much seeing as only one head can power the thing. I got it off ebay for £150, a bit tatty in places on the carpet covering but seems solid enough.[/quote]

To someone with an AH1000 probably £250.

If you prepared to spend some money on re-engineering it I guess it could be quite a good cab.

I rewired mine temporarily. Connected the two 2x10s in parallel (makes 2-ohms) and then put them in series with the 15 to make 6-ohms. Sounded good.

I already mentioned changing the 15 to 8-ohms, then wire the two 2x10s in series (8-ohms) and then connect them in parallel with the 15 to get 4-ohms.

Whatever you do requires major internal rewiring due to the common return for all 3 speaker systems.

[quote name='obbm' post='686326' date='Dec 16 2009, 01:59 PM']BFC is in fact 3 cabs in 1.

2 x 2x10s+ tweeter and a single 1x15-inch. Each is 4-ohms and has to be driven separately. The connection panel should have the wiring details for the 4-pole Speakon. 3-poles are used for each set of speakers, the 4th is the common return.[/quote]

Interesting stuff Dave..!

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='686526' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:00 PM']You could consider getting an Ashdown Little Giant 1000 and powering 1x2x10 and the 15!

G.[/quote]

Another good possibility however you'd need a custom speaker cable.

[quote name='Pow_22' post='686550' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:16 PM']Just noticed TE do a few AH amps (300 and 500) both of which are in the 12 band series, would these power the cab or is the ah1000 the ONLY head?[/quote]

AH1000 only I'm afraid. They were desined together. TheAH1000 has 3 power amps, 1 x 500-watt for the 15-inch and 2 x 250-watt for the 2x10s. No other Trace amp has 3 power amps.

Just for the record the Speakon on the BFC is wired

1+ to the 15-inch +ve

1- to all -ve

2+ to the RH 2x10 +ve

2- to the LH 2x10 +ve

Edited by obbm