Why become a member? ×

Looking for a Central London gig

Veils

I really want to try and get my band on a central London gig next year but obviously being an out of town band it's probably easier said than done. Can anyone with a bit more knowledge suggest a good venue to try? Or alternatively, if anyone can actually get us on a gig, I can probably arrange a swap up this way :)

Cheers!

[quote name='Veils' post='683926' date='Dec 14 2009, 01:14 PM']I really want to try and get my band on a central London gig next year but obviously being an out of town band it's probably easier said than done. Can anyone with a bit more knowledge suggest a good venue to try? Or alternatively, if anyone can actually get us on a gig, I can probably arrange a swap up this way :)

Cheers![/quote]
I reckon the Underworld in Camden is your best bet.

[quote name='Clarky' post='684020' date='Dec 14 2009, 02:19 PM']Hey Veils, email this lot for bookings at Hope & Anchor, Islington and Dublin Castle, Camden: [email protected]

and call this guy for Underworld and Barfly: Al Douglas of www.wildplum.co.uk Office: +44 (0)207 193 6783 | Mobile: +44 (0)777 1777 998[/quote]

Are you sure about Wildplum? :)

Might be Ok if you don't mind having to buy tickets up front, but personally I'd avoid.

[quote name='Musky' post='684066' date='Dec 14 2009, 03:15 PM']Are you sure about Wildplum? :)

Might be Ok if you don't mind having to buy tickets up front, but personally I'd avoid.[/quote]
Good point, we lost money playing the Underworld. Had to buy £140 of tickets upfront and had a rubbish slot (7-7.30pm) on a RAWWWWKKK evening (when we are more suited to a punk evening)

Unfortunately I don't know of any other way of getting to play the Underworld

[quote name='Veils' post='684159' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:43 PM']Well Bugbear have kindly offered us 24th Jan at Dublin Castle. Is it a decent venue? We'll probably take it anyway mind :)[/quote]
Good venue, not very large but I like it. Raised stage. Its where Blur played their famous peak-of-early-Britpop gig in 1996/7.

[quote name='Musky' post='684154' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:42 PM']What's the payment like with them Clarky? I know it's cash up front, but beyond that I've no idea. Do you get to keep everything of any ticket sales beyond the £140 mark, and is there any payment from people who turn up to see you but pay on the door?[/quote]
Yep, you keep the excess whether its from ticket sales or on the door. We didn't get enough people along :-(

[quote name='Veils' post='684159' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:43 PM']Well Bugbear have kindly offered us 24th Jan at Dublin Castle. Is it a decent venue? We'll probably take it anyway mind :)[/quote]

It decent enough - smallish black painted room at the back of a pub basically. Being a well established venue in an area know for it's venues is probably the best thing going for it though.

[quote name='Clarky' post='684167' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:49 PM']Yep, you keep the excess whether its from ticket sales or on the door. We didn't get enough people along :-([/quote]

Not too shabby if you can can get 50+ along then - though that can be a big ask in London. :)

I was half expecting that they'd be asking for a slice of the total sales.

I like playing at the Dublin Castle. I think Coldplay played one of their first gigs there as well.

Played our first central London one Thursday at The Old Queens Head in Islington. Nice venue but what a bloody shocking journey. Booked a van that didn't turn up to take us there, finally got another one and it took almost 4 hours to get 17 miles through a gridlocked Docklands. Took nearly as long to get home afterwards. Took the shine off it a bit. Will stick to the provinces for a while I think.