Why become a member? ×

Crossover Frequencies

Peter Rand

Hi.

I'm about to try Bi-Amping for the first time, and will be building my own fixed frequency crossover (24dB/Oct Linkwitz Riley). My amps will feed 10" & 15" or 18" speakers. Can anyone advise me as to what frequency I should set my crossover point at?

I'd be grateful for your comments and suggestions.

Pete.

[quote name='Peter Rand' post='683268' date='Dec 13 2009, 07:26 PM']Hi.

I'm about to try Bi-Amping for the first time, and will be building my own fixed frequency crossover (24dB/Oct Linkwitz Riley). My amps will feed 10" & 15" or 18" speakers. Can anyone advise me as to what frequency I should set my crossover point at?

I'd be grateful for your comments and suggestions.

Pete.[/quote]

Depends what the speakers are, and what their enclsoures are. I think you can use WinISD for crossover modelling, although I haven't used the function.

My current plan is to run my modern full range cab with full range, and tap off the stuff above 100hz to my bottom deficient 8x10. Probably won't help you much.

[quote name='Peter Rand' post='683531' date='Dec 13 2009, 11:17 PM']I won't be running anything at full range. The plan is to send highs to the tens, lows to the fifteens.

Anyone else??[/quote]

You'll still need to state what those 10s and 15s are, and what they are in.

There is no way anyone will reccomend 15s other than Kappalie 3015LF for lows, so just pick a box volume and port tuning.

I have no idea about 10" midrange drivers, but I think smaller ones will benefit you more. 10" speakers will start becoming fairly directional in the mids: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Driver_diameter_%26_pistonic_beaming_frequencies"]Source.[/url]

I think you'd be better off having a look at PA stuff for practical application of biamping, its more likely to be done properly there.

It's all pretty-much guesswork unless you have known parameters to work with (like a comparable frequency-response plot for both completed cabs)

I'd hazard a guess that you won't be quite into PA sub specs with your larger driver cab, so probably higher than 120Hz, and likely way less than 500Hz....

The advantage you have is that you're unlikely to do any damage - as you don't have any high frequency drivers.

Personally, I'd want a variable frequency (at least to find the best setting)
If you're set on building your own fixed frequency crossover, why not just hire one (almost any PA hire company) or buy a Behringer, and it'll double as a spare.

[quote name='Peter Rand' post='683531' date='Dec 13 2009, 06:17 PM']I won't be running anything at full range. The plan is to send highs to the tens, lows to the fifteens.

Anyone else??[/quote]
Don't bi-amp. There's not enough difference in the response ranges of the speakers you're using to make it worthwhile. Bi-amping is only of benefit with speakers specifically designed for that purpose, and no electric bass cabs are. Even with a well designed multi-way system with woofer, midrange and possibly tweeters the power demands of electric bass are way too low for bi-amping to be useful.

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='684170' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:52 PM']To kind of gate crash here.
Do most cabinets have xovers in them?
I have a single 12" which has no xover. Should I add one to stop it trying to out put too much low?[/quote]

If you aren't shunting the signal off to another speaker, I think it is called a high pass filter. As simple as a capacitor and a resistor, would be good to include in cabs really. The tone pot in a passive bass is a high pass to ground. Only issue is power handling in a bass cab.

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='684170' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:52 PM']...
Do most cabinets have xovers in them?[/quote]

No
[quote]I have a single 12" which has no xover. Should I add one to stop it trying to out put too much low?[/quote]

No.
But if you did want to high-pass filter (to remove sub-audio signals) then you'd be much better off doing it electronically at line level.
In practice, your amp probably already does to some extent.

Passive crossovers are an occasionally-necessary evil IMO

Edited by Stewart