Why become a member? ×

Newbie old timer

Grand Wazoo

Hi all,

old boy here!! 47 years young, semi retired from gigging due to work commitment. I spend most of my life on cargo ships these days. I've never lost the love for the bass, so I shall continue to pursue this passion for as long as I can.

I have owned a lot of basses and guitars in the last 30+ years, usually keeping what I liked, and selling on those I didn't like. From cheapo's to boutique, lots came and went and I guess it never ends until you find what suits you. I can never say this is what I have and that's it! Even my personal preferences have changed after time but presently I own 4 definately "keepers", plus one more on the way (maybe 2 more, if luck has it) and these are:

2 x twenty years old Paul Reed Smith's first generation, built between '89 to '91 a 4 and a 5 [b](see pic 1)[/b] The 4 strings is the seafoam green alder body, bolt on maple neck / fingerboard, the 5 strings one is the whale blue with mahogany back, quilted maple top, and fixed mahogany neck with brazilian rosewood fingerboard. (both basses have 3 single coils plus hum cancelling dummy coil in the back of the body, active / passive bypass switch, 1x Volume, 1 x 5 positions rotary pickup selector, 1 x bass 1 x treble which work in both passive and active mode)

2 x Ernie Ball MusicMan, [b](see pic 2)[/b] a translucent red StingRay 5 maple fingerboard, to which I have fitted an Alnico Duncan Basslines pickup, and a Bongo 5 in sapphire black, double humbucker and piezo system, which is a killer.

The one which is on the way, it's also an EB Music Man, this time a 25th Anniversary 5 strings, HSS model, one humbucker and 2 single coils, with rosewood fingerboard [b](see pic 3)[/b] All going well this will be with me on DEc 21st. Fingers crossed. It's on one of our company ships loaded from a far land where they speak like us but funny like, so it might suffer the odd day loss through the various stops along the way.

The other one I am considering is a cheapo, sometimes you get some real stars in the budget range and the one I have set my eyes on, which I intend to use as a beater, it's a Squier classic vibe P bass 1950's lake placid blue maple board, [b](see pic 4)[/b] I've tried it in a shop on Denmark Street and was very impressed by the vintage feel emanating from that one single p/up, if you haven't tried one yet, please have a go, they are well worth it for the price, at around 290 quid.

[b]PIC 1[/b]

[b]PIC 2[/b]

[b]PIC 3[/b]

[b]PIC 4[/b]

Cheers and look forward to check out the forum some more when time permits.

Hi from another old timer. nice pics!

If you give some outline of the technical problem i.e electrical, construction etc it may help others to give you the most helpful response.

I'm sure you will get the right help one way or the other, as everyone seems to be friendly around here

welcome !

:)