Why become a member? ×

Me Tings Wiv Strings

tonyf

Feel very guilty about posting pics of my basses as there's been some amazing stuff on here recently. Ervert's Fender's look stunning and Platypus's Lakland DJ has simply blown me away. Seriously thinking now how to break the news to Mrs F that I'm looking at another bass....any retort to the "you can't play all of them at once so why do you need another one" that anyone's tried? :huh:

Traded a few quite recently but I feel fairly happy with these at the mo. Guess one's gear is dictated by the band you're in so these tend to sonically fit the covers band I'm in.

The most recent is a G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow swapped with Kier (Dub_Junkie....top fella!). Always hankered after one of these after owning a L2500 that had the "Fender on steroids" sound nailed but I never felt happy with the "cricket-bat-handle" neck. The ASAT looks stunning and sounds absolutely amazing. Can't wait till the next gig.

[attachment=2859:0013_0482.JPG][attachment=2860:0013_0484.JPG]

Absolutely love my Modulus Flea bass which I brought last year from the marvellous Bass Central in Florida. Was originally fitted with a two band Aguilar preamp and SD MM pickup but swapped it out with a Bartolini MMC and a OBP-3 three band which has made such a difference to the midrange. Also fitted a Hipshot D-Tuner for those "1812 Overture" endings in D!

[attachment=2861:0013_0485.JPG][attachment=2862:0013_0487.JPG]

Musicman Sterling with Nordstrand 4.3 and (now regulation D-Tuner). Had this for a couple of years and absolutely love it. Love the marginally smaller body and neck (as opposed to the 'Rays) and the addition of the Nordstrand had made a great bass even greater, if that makes sense? The Nordy really has that Pre-EB magic, just can't say enough good stuff about the pickups. My only "want" for this bass would be a white body as I adore the perloid/white/maple combo but this is just me being picky.

[attachment=2863:0013_0494.JPG][attachment=2864:0013_0496.JPG]

Finally, "The Old Gal" or "The Money Shot Bass", my Yamaha Nathan East Signature. Had this from new, feels like it's the only bass I've hung onto over the years. Every single nick or bump on it is mine, every one tells a story. Brought in about 94 (I think), the only bit of "pimping" I've done to it is the fitting of a Bartolini pre-amp because the original Yamaha was awfully hissy (IMHO a glaring fckup in an otherwise stunning bass). Such a lovely flat fingerboard, wonderful quilted maple top, really low-playable action and a hugely focused tight midrange honk when rolled slightly onto the bridge pickup. Kinda think I should take it out again but I've been back onto fours for a while and now need to spend some time back playing fivers.

[attachment=2865:0013_0500.JPG][attachment=2866:0013_0502.JPG]

Right, that's it. I've bored everyone sh*tless. Soz! :)

All the best
T

[quote name='tonyf' post='74275' date='Oct 14 2007, 08:01 PM']any retort to the "you can't play all of them at once so why do you need another one" that anyone's tried? :)[/quote]
Try: "but you've already got a handbag...why do you need another?"

Edit: liking that G&L!

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='74335' date='Oct 14 2007, 11:36 PM']Try: "but you've already got a handbag...why do you need another?"[/quote]

GENIUS response!

Just gotta pluck up the guts to use it without showing the fear in my eyes......it's like they can smell the fear ya know :)

lol

T

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='74332' date='Oct 14 2007, 11:31 PM']Tony,
glad you're liking the Asat,great bass..as are the others too. the Yamaha is a real beauty btw.
lol do you mind if I copy your collection?just a flea and NE to go :)
Keir[/quote]
Howdy Kier,

Absolutely loving the ASAT, it's such a great bass and I'm so glad we did the bass-swap styleee!

Put the tort plate on ur Sterling yet?

T

[quote name='tonyf' post='74343' date='Oct 14 2007, 11:44 PM']Howdy Kier,

Absolutely loving the ASAT, it's such a great bass and I'm so glad we did the bass-swap styleee!

Put the tort plate on ur Sterling yet?

T[/quote]

yes it is and its looking great.some pics of it and the Spector will be on my photobucket later this week

thanks again

keir

[quote name='rohan' post='74345' date='Oct 14 2007, 11:47 PM']I love the finish on the yammy! yummy :)[/quote]

Cheers Rohan. The quilted maple really shows through the lovely blue tint and the very hard Polyester finish.

However, said Poly finish not quite hard enough to resist drunken thumping of a clenched fist in a shirt with a cuff-link at the end of a new-year set! Still, give's the bass some character eh? lol

T

[quote name='Machines' post='74407' date='Oct 15 2007, 07:57 AM']I had the pleasure last week of checking all of Tony's basses out.

They are all stunning and i've offered to look after them for him when he goes on holiday :).[/quote]

Will keep that in mind as the "kids" keep nagging me to let "Uncle Matt" to come over when "Daddy" is away. lol

T

[quote name='tonyf' post='74438' date='Oct 15 2007, 09:27 AM']Will keep that in mind as the "kids" keep nagging me to let "Uncle Matt" to come over when "Daddy" is away. lol

T[/quote]

Well if they start calling me Daddy then you DO have to worry :).

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='74468' date='Oct 15 2007, 10:31 AM']Great collection Tony - really liking the Yammy - nice colour too. I have a Nordstrand loaded Sterling too, it looks exactly like this...

[/quote]

Lurrrrrrrvvveeellyyy Sterling there! Wonderful 'burst finish.

T