Why become a member? ×

My new Chris Larkin custom

cgordonfreeman

[quote name='cgordonfreeman' post='673565' date='Dec 3 2009, 07:38 PM']Here is my (well, soon to be my) Chris Larkin custom that my girlfriend had built for me for christmas.

Go to www.clc.ie and on the homepage go to 'addition to gallery of
Basses', just under the picture me the jazz guitar. I can't wait!

Cheers, John[/quote]

your girlfriend got any mates by any chance?!?!?! well done ms cgordonfreeman, i love your work

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='673575' date='Dec 3 2009, 07:54 PM']I've owned and played a few Chris' instruments and they have all been top notch. You're a lucky man indeed! :) That Korina top is mighty fine too.[/quote]

I've never played any of his instruments but I've heard only good things about them. He seems like a really nice guy and i'll look forward to visiting his workshop and seeing some more of his work.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='674539' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:08 PM']Is that nine knobs on the front? What's it got in there that needs nine knobs? :)[/quote]

Ya, that's 9 knobs alright. It's got: Volume, magnetic balance, piezo/magnetic balance, bass, mid, mid sweep, treble, piezo tone and passive tone control. The passive tone control only sounds like a passive tone as there is no passive option on the bass.

John East wasn't able to make the system passive due to the piezos but still put on a passive tone control for good measure.

[quote name='cgordonfreeman' post='674775' date='Dec 5 2009, 10:07 AM']Ya, that's 9 knobs alright. It's got: Volume, magnetic balance, piezo/magnetic balance, bass, mid, mid sweep, treble, piezo tone and passive tone control. The passive tone control only sounds like a passive tone as there is no passive option on the bass.

John East wasn't able to make the system passive due to the piezos but still put on a passive tone control for good measure.[/quote]

Crazy stuff. Well I guess if you're having a bass built for you, you might as well make it flexible.

I would've had two parametric mid bands. :) (just kidding!)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='674782' date='Dec 5 2009, 10:20 AM']Crazy stuff. Well I guess if you're having a bass built for you, you might as well make it flexible.

I would've had two parametric mid bands. :) (just kidding!)[/quote]

I'm probably going to just have everything centred and turn the piezos off most of the time but it's nice to have the option:)

As for the dual parametric mids, i've that covered with my Genz Benz Shuttle Max....but i'd have one on the bass if I could:)

[quote name='4 Strings' post='676697' date='Dec 7 2009, 01:35 PM']Uninitiated here, what do the piezos do?[/quote]
Piezos are basically crystals that produce an electrical signal with a change in pressure. They sit inside the bridge saddles and when you hit the string, they detect the change in pressure and create a signal. I think... Ever hear an acoustic guitar unmiked and amplified? That's probably a piezo pickup.

Very nice looking bass mate. I'm surprised you didn't suss it out tho'

[quote]At the time, although he was unaware of what was going on, she asked him a few subtle questions until she knew enough of what he liked to be able to give me a good template to work from.[/quote]

if my wife ever asked subtle questions about bass design (I wish :) ) it would definately arouse my suspicions

[quote name='steve' post='677995' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:01 PM']Very nice looking bass mate. I'm surprised you didn't suss it out tho'

if my wife ever asked subtle questions about bass design (I wish :) ) it would definately arouse my suspicions[/quote]

I think she basically got him to build a bass with all the features I like about my Carvin. Mahogany body/ fancy top, maple/ebony neck, single coil at neck, humbucker at bridge, piezos, 3 band EQ.

I'm not complaining...