Why become a member? ×

Stores in London?

blackparkas

Hello!

New on the forum and have just searched around a little bit to fins whereabouts you should go nowadays in London.
I didn´t fins anything i didn´t already know about when searching so sorry for starting a thread you probably think you have read a billion times..!

I´m from Sweden and I´m going to London this weekend and will be staying til wednesday.

Last time in London it was of course Bass Centre, wich were really nice when they were in Wapping, didn´t go to London after they moved though.

So.
I´m just looking to find out where you can find something fun to look at, test.
I´m in the market for a Orange Terror Bass but its probably easier to just order one from soundslive directly to Sweden.

The Gallery is a must, and even thoough you all seem to hate Bass Cellar, I will go there anyway... :)
Vintage and rare on Denmark St is also one of the shops I know about and will visit.

Is there any other stores in central London worth a visit?
Looking manily for a lightweight amp since my Sunn 300T only will be used on gigs from now on.
But used pedals and such is also interesting.

Is there any shops, any bigger shops?

Regards
Johan

Edited by blackparkas

[quote name='blackparkas' post='673535' date='Dec 3 2009, 07:04 PM']Hello!

New on the forum and have just searched around a little bit to fins whereabouts you should go nowadays in London.
I didn´t fins anything i didn´t already know about when searching so sorry for starting a thread you probably think you have read a billion times..!

I´m from Sweden and I´m going to London this weekend and will be staying til wednesday.

Last time in London it was of course Bass Centre, wich were really nice when they were in Wapping, didn´t go to London after they moved though.

So.
I´m just looking to find out where you can find something fun to look at, test.
I´m in the market for a Orange Terror Bass but its probably easier to just order one from soundslive directly to Sweden.

The Gallery is a must, and even thoough you all seem to hate Bass Cellar, I will go there anyway... :)
Vintage and rare on Denmark St is also one of the shops I know about and will visit.

Is there any other stores in central London worth a visit?
Looking manily for a lightweight amp since my Sunn 300T only will be used on gigs from now on.
But used pedals and such is also interesting.

Is there any shops, any bigger shops?

Regards
Johan[/quote]

You could try Digital Village in Romford. Not Central London at all (East London) but they have a fair amount of basses in stock you can try out.

Thanks for the info!

I´m going to stay inside London though I´m afraid.
Have my wife and kids + my parents with me this time and my parents + the kids haven´t been to London before so we´ll pobably have our a**es full with just exploring London with them.

That said, I haven´t been to London since the kids were born, think it´s 7 years since me and my wifes last visit.

Aren´t there any "supermaket-ish" stores in London?
Places where you can find all regular stuffs?
We have a few bigger chains with musicstores in Sweden, it doesn´t seem to work that way in the UK.

You have soundslive, dolphinmusic and dv247 who seem to have everything thats expected to be found in a music store.
THose kind of stores is also ingteresting.
As well as the more exclusive stores of course.

Does Bass Cellar have any exclusive axes in stock nowadays?

I´m really a vintage-lover but I also have a boutique-vein that needs to be satisfied now and then... :)

That's the problem with London - a big ol' blob of stores on Denmark St and the rest are scattered around all over the place. After that, you're off to some of Britain's most / least picturesque towns.

Frankly I'd recommend a week-long, bass-devoted solo trip. And hire a car. :)

Up until a year or so ago, you could have visited Sound Control's superstore below the Virgin Megastore (Zavvi) on Oxford Street.
That was the best you would have found in terms of a music superstore in central London.
It wasn't bad though I used to get a headache after more than an hour in there. Many of the staff were usually hacked off most of the time with tourists/timewasters/etc.

DV247 (whom you mentioned) is of course Digital Village whose four London stores are based north (Barnet), south (Clapham), east (Romford) and west (Acton). Nothing central.

If you did happen to find yourself in that desert in the middle of an oasis otherwise known as Romford town centre ( :lol: ), then aside from Digital Village, you could also visit PMT (good store from the guys that bought three of the Sound Control stores - though not the Megastore store!). There's also Musicland (only minimal lower priced guitars, mainly for pianos/keyboards) and Drum City (...they sell drums!!). Finally there's a Cash Converters (or whatever they're called this week) where you can find all manner of used music stuff - even the odd bass guitar (with or without strings!!!).

Hope this has helped. (If nothing else, it may have re-affirmed your decision to stay in central London). :lol:

This has been a brief service guide from SR5 Tours unLimited. :)

Next week -- Dagenham! :rolleyes: :wacko: :ph34r:

Well, back from the always so wonderful London!

I just went to Denmark street.... :)
I were in Camden but with my wife, the kids, and my parents with me it wasn´t worth the hazzle to go to Bass Gallery.

Denmark Street is nothing like it use to be.... I know what you mean now...
Back in the days (8-10 years ago) me and my wife went to London 1-2 times a year and always visited Denmark st, and it was pretty fun...

Is ANYONE on Denmark St interested in having customers!?!?
I think NOT!

The only place where someone actually said hello where a small shop wich had an ex. Sid Vicius Precision....
I don´t remember the name of the shop though.

The rest was just... terrible...
Not that any of them had anything I wanted to buy anyway...
Well, it was an blue Yamaha SBV reissue or whatever they´re called, it was really tempting.
And then there was a shop that was on the corner who had a basement with and natural G&L 2000.
G&L´s doesnt exist here in Sweden...

But the rest... help.

Bigsmokebass>> Don´t know if that was a joke, but didn´t Bass Centre close their shop a while ago?

Edited by blackparkas