Why become a member? ×

Vintage V940 fretless

solo4652

I'm shortly to go and have a look at a used Vintage V940 unlined fretless - bubinga body, Wilkinson hardware, new Hiscox case. Like this:

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-V940-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-Natural/5CT"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/...tar-Natural/5CT[/url]

This would be a back-up for my fretless Stingray.

Harmony Central reviews are pretty good. Anybody got one and can offer some honest comments, please?

Thanks,

Steve

I've heard a couple of these and they sounded, well, fine. Not blow-you-away or jaw-hits-floor, but fine.

Sort of like a Bass Collection really. It's a good solid sound, but I'd be surprised if anyone lost sleep dreaming about it.

For the money, it's a good solid choice.

Never played one, but I imagine like most of these things, the key is to budget for a good setup.

Cheers,
James

I’ve got the fretted version with some flats on it. I like the neck which is a comfortable profile for my hands. I would agree that the pickups are typical of the price range. I do notice a difference with the aftermarket pup's in my other bass. The rest of the hardware is perfectly serviceable.

The body is nice (not bookmatched though as AndyTravis said) - I’m intending to upgrade the pups' on mine which should make a world of difference so it’s basically a keeper for me.

If its a used one then the body might be a bit shiny along the forearm rest as the body is a "nude" Bubinga finish... a VERY light sanding should return it to normal

I have a fretted 5,body not 2 different shades,lovely neck,pots work just fine,huge array of tones for what it cost,i've had it a few years,would proberbly never sell it.BUT.I just can't seem to want to gig with it,i do'nt know if it's the pickups or the active circuit,i seem to spend more time fannying about with the controls than playing it.But,it does play nice.I think mine looks better now that the body has been waxed,it looked and felt unfinished before.

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

• 1 year later...

I just bought one of these V940s because I was using the fret markers on my J bass fretless as a crutch and not really feeling out the intonation. For what it's worth, I think it's pretty good for the money.

Anyway, this question will mark me out as a novice, but I hope someone can help me out. What do all the knobs do?! I'm used to nice simple volume/tone. One of the others does bridge/neck p/up pan I think, but frankly I'm floundering.

I bought one of these years ago when they were brand new, it was my first fretless bass. The build quality wasn't excellent, I have to say. The neck pocket fitting around the body was a bit poor, on the front there was a noticeable gap at the bottom left corner that you could have probably wedged a credit card into if you'd felt inclined. The neck wood had that slightly chalky feel that some cheap basses have, quite odd. That said, there was some flame on the neck of mine which I suppose was the luck of the draw!

The sound was never incredible but it was functional. I got mine before they got the Wilkinson pickups, although in all honesty I never noticed much of a difference between the two. The playbility was alright but as it was my first fretless, I was pretty far from knowing what I liked. Just make sure, if you do go to buy it, that you get a good price. Mine was £180 shipped when I bought it.

I know it's a different model but i had the vintage jaco fretless. Is actually a great bass, sounds good stock, but with £100 worth of upgrades a fantastic bass. In fact the guy I sold it to changed pots and pickups and loves it!! But he also gigged it and loved it stock as well. I only got rid of it because I got a great offer on a better bass simple as.

As a side note I had the Squier VM Fretless as well and didn't really like it.

As another side not (sorry lol) the bass you originally posted about goes for £205 on GAK

Edited by willyf87

[quote name='timtoomany' post='1083615' date='Jan 9 2011, 09:14 PM']Anyway, this question will mark me out as a novice, but I hope someone can help me out. What do all the knobs do?! I'm used to nice simple volume/tone. One of the others does bridge/neck p/up pan I think, but frankly I'm floundering.[/quote]

Master volume
Pickup pan
Treble boost/cut
Bass boost/cut

• 2 months later...

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1084697' date='Jan 10 2011, 07:29 PM']Master volume
Pickup pan
Treble boost/cut
Bass boost/cut[/quote]

Hi Hillbilly
Which is which, I know the volume but which are the others. If you playing, the one at 12 o clock is.... 2 o clock ... & 3 o clock

Thanks

Tess

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1176580' date='Mar 25 2011, 09:24 PM']4 knobs.3 have center notch.The one that doesnt is master volume.The 2 tone knobs are the rear two.the remaining front knob is pickup blend,forward on this knob is neck pickup,notch is both,back is bridge pickup.[/quote]

Thanks Hillbilly

Tess