Why become a member? ×

Epiphone LP Stnd Vs Burns Bison

Pow_22

Hello, long time reader first time poster. I have an issue in that i cant decide what to do. I currently play an Epiphone LP Standard bass in my indie/rock band. I love the sound but sometimes it can be a bit too ''boomy''. I run it through an Ashdown MAG 600 head and a Trace Elliot BFC cab (it was dirt cheap so i bought it haha). The local guitar shop has a used Burns Bison in so i had a go and was quite impressed, not as ''deep'' as the Epi but it was through a small amp. Its on sale at £300 and they have offered me £200 for my Epi and Epi hardcase. For the sound im after (i play with a pick) is kinda deep, smooth and warm (we play Stone Roses etc). I hate ANY punch sound to my bass playin, i even like the high notes to sound ''bassy''. So really my question is what are peoples opinions of this bass and would you swap given the info i have told you. Many thanks in advance

I must confess that I wasn't impressed with the Burns Bison I picked up, I checked it out after the Gibson G-3 I bought, and I found it rather lacking in output, it seemed far too polite sounding. Perhaps playing it after a Gibson G-3 wasn't the best comparison, but I was playing it through a nice Phil Jones amp (the Six Pack if memory serves) and I was just thoroughly underwhelmed by it on any of its settings.

Just my 2p.

I've owned both basses. The offer they are suggesting on your Les Paul is excellent (I'm letting mine go for less than that & that's not as a part ex!). The Burns has a lot of tonal variation & that Wild Dog setting was great fun. If the Les Paul isn't working for you it could be a good deal. I don't know what the resale value of a Burns Bison is these days but this does sound like a good deal and clearly if you find your current set up than certainly a change needs to occur. Good luck with it

I tried a (Korean) Bison on the off-chance when looking for a Jazz many moons ago @ the Wapping Bass Centre.
It was better than many of the MIA Fenders (various vintages)
Certainly better than any Epi T-Bird I've played, and without the dive. I've not played any LP basses, I'm afraid...
My only bugbear? The white/gold ones look like a tacky bathroom.
I prefer the Black/Silver incarnation!

Edited by Lfalex v1.1