Why become a member? ×

Decadence

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='lapolpora' post='669169' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:23 PM']An amazing collection. The pick of the bunch for me is the 5 string Status and the SR4 - simple, classic and beautiful.

What's the fretboard wood on the 5 string Status?[/quote]

Ta! The fingerboard is what they call "phenowood." It's basically paper mixed with the graphite binding resin, but it looks like and feels like real wood. Work that one out!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='669170' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:25 PM']Ta! The fingerboard is what they call "phenowood." It's basically paper mixed with the graphite binding resin, but it looks like and feels like real wood. Work that one out![/quote]

That bass is perhaps the finest 5 I've played - beautiful tone, and plays like warm butter!

Brother! Didst thee receiveth mine PM!?

Ciao!

Nick

[quote name='BassBus' post='669375' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:29 PM']Yes, fantastic collection there Rich. See you went for the Genz Benz. How are you finding it? The S2s really are the best lookers. The myrtle face is a work of art. Rob chose that so well.[/quote]

Hey Graham, yes Rob did choose that one particularly well, didn't he? I'm actually planning a run down to the factory in the new year, as the Myrtlewood bass isn't quite up to the output specs of the walnut one. I'm sure a fine tune will have it shouting in a biblical manner! The Genz Benz is excellent. Still getting used to the twin controls for the preamp, but apart from that, it's a great sounding, highly portable rig. One cab seems ample so far. I'm sure I'll be on an ear plugs job soon where both cabs and all 600w will be needed, though!

[quote]Stingray5 Posted Today, 07:18 PM
Great collection, Rich. But who's the kid in the glasses at the back? Does he ever get a look in?[/quote]

Haha! Yes, the Triumph upright gets used quite a lot. It was a surefire hit at the Keswick Jazz festival this year!

[quote]doctor_of_the_bass Posted Today, 04:30 PM

That bass is perhaps the finest 5 I've played - beautiful tone, and plays like warm butter!

Brother! Didst thee receiveth mine PM!?

Ciao!

Nick[/quote]

Ah yes Brother, I did! I'll be replying this very eve :) I've been involved in significant quantities of giggage over the last couple of days. The game pie was rather good as well!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Buzz' post='669551' date='Nov 29 2009, 10:15 PM']Heh, I honestly expected you to take after your brother and have a bigger collection.

Very nice collection though, the only thing missing is a P-bass style :)[/quote]

Heh! That's the difference between Nick & myself - I tend to sell on the stuff I'm not using, so I'm always careful to only own basses that are earning me money. :rolleyes:

Yes, I've tried Precisions, but the only one I've truly liked was Peter's (Greeneking) American Vintage 62 RI. I may have a look at one of the Mex classic 57's with the gold anodized scratch plate and put a Wizard Thumper in it, though. We'll see...

[quote name='cd_david' post='669420' date='Nov 29 2009, 08:11 PM']Very tasty indeed Rich. You me and the Doc need to open a shop that never sells......Just keeps buying. :)

Cheers mate

Dave[/quote]

Funny you should mention that.......!

Meant to say that Rich's collection is nigh-on perfect in terms of a working team* - the bulk of my collection consists of a lot of much cheaper stuff that I used to lust after back in the 80's as a fledgling bassist although there are some tasties too!

Cheers!

Nick

* and we share the same taste in string gauges!!! Spooky eh?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='669557' date='Nov 29 2009, 10:19 PM']Heh! That's the difference between Nick & myself - I tend to sell on the stuff I'm not using, so I'm always careful to only own basses that are earning me money. :)

Yes, I've tried Precisions, but the only one I've truly liked was Peter's (Greeneking) American Vintage 62 RI. I may have a look at one of the Mex classic 57's with the gold anodized scratch plate and put a Wizard Thumper in it, though. We'll see...[/quote]

I had a play of one of these precisions the other day and really enjoyed it. I wouldnt even worry about the thumper unlss you really do find it lacking.

Anyway, I hope you find the swine that took an axe to them statii! :rolleyes:

[quote name='MythSte' post='670340' date='Nov 30 2009, 07:50 PM']I had a play of one of these precisions the other day and really enjoyed it. I wouldnt even worry about the thumper unlss you really do find it lacking.

Anyway, I hope you find the swine that took an axe to them statii! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Heh! That's how basses are meant to be, Ste. They balance better and you don't knock into stuff all the time. Perfection! :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='670340' date='Nov 30 2009, 07:50 PM']Anyway, I hope you find the swine that took an axe to them statii! :lol:[/quote]
Huh!!! What a Philistine. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='670343' date='Nov 30 2009, 07:53 PM']Heh! That's how basses are meant to be, Ste. They balance better and you don't knock into stuff all the time. Perfection! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Now there's a man who knows what a bass should look like.