Why become a member? ×

70s JapCraptastic Precision Copy

Bassassin

It's this:

"This" being a rather nice 70s Japanese P bass copy. The original headstock logo's been removed (not by me) but there's enough of a "ghost" image remaining to see the size & shape of the original design, and I'm of the opinion it would have been Columbus or Satellite. This being the case it will have likely originated from Moridaira or Rokkomann.

It's not exactly original - the tuners, bridge & scratchplate have been replaced, and the pickup is a 70s Jap item I bought for this bass from Gafbass02 a few months ago. It's in pretty tidy condition overall though, with the usual minor scuffs, knocks & bumps on the body, and a "bald" patch of wood worn on the upper edge of the top horn.

Body construction's a sandwich of what I assume is Sen ash, which was (and still is) very common in MIJ guitars, and the neck's maple with a separate fretboard. The lacquer on the body's a slightly more satin finish than the neck, and the neck/body joint is very snug. Frets are in great condition (they should be - I levelled & profiled 'em) with plenty of "meat" left, and it's a great player, if I say so myself. The neck is pretty chunky but comfortable, and using my trusty & accurate jumping-on-&-off-the-scales weighing technique, it comes in at about 4.5kg.

I've foil-screened the control & pickup cavities, plus the back of the scratchplate, and re-wired it using what I assume are the original pots & cap, and it all works exactly like it should - and Gaf's old pup sounds as punchy & authentic as he said it did. :)

Anything wrong with it? Yeah. One scratchplate screw doesn't match.

Make me an offer - around £150 is my optimistic ballpark, plus £15 for bomb-proof packaging & insured posting to UK addresses - but as a self-confessed gyppo, I'm open to haggling.

I'd consider a trade for a decent, light-ish 4x10, or suitably raucous 2x10. Not really after basses but y'know, if you've got anything [i]interesting[/i]...

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='noelk27' post='668696' date='Nov 28 2009, 08:56 PM']Something tells me that this was originally badged Columbus - and that the factory scratchplate was black/white/black.[/quote]
I concur - but I'd say w/b/w for the plate...

More than happy to bring along another on the 11th. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='668727' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:27 PM']I concur - but I'd say w/b/w for the plate...

More than happy to bring along another on the 11th. :)

J.[/quote]

Well, my first bass was a natural Columbus Precision, and the original scratchplate was B/W/B, and the control knobs wre the flat, wide, numbered clear/black pastic ones you see on so many Eastern basses of the day.

I'm in the market for a Precision-style basses with maple touchboard, as everything else I own has either a rosewood or an ebony board. With this the body and neck will be solid, with good weight, and it'd be straightforward to upgrade electronics.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='669017' date='Nov 29 2009, 11:54 AM']Well, my first bass was a natural Columbus Precision, and the original scratchplate was B/W/B, and the control knobs wre the flat, wide, numbered clear/black pastic ones you see on so many Eastern basses of the day.

I'm in the market for a Precision-style basses with maple touchboard, as everything else I own has either a rosewood or an ebony board. With this the body and neck will be solid, with good weight, and it'd be straightforward to upgrade electronics.[/quote]
That's a pretty good assessment of this, I'd say - weighty & robust, if not immaculately crafted! Build quality's not quite up there with the Mats & Fujigens, but it's certainly rock-solid.

I never had a Columbus P (although my first guitar was a Columbus SG, which I still have - sort of...) but I'm sure I've seen w/b/w plates - likely they did both. I'll go & scour for some pics!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='669075' date='Nov 29 2009, 01:15 PM']I never had a Columbus P (although my first guitar was a Columbus SG, which I still have - sort of...) but I'm sure I've seen w/b/w plates - likely they did both.[/quote]

There are Columbus Les Paul and ES 335 copies in one of Glasgow's finer used guitar emporia at this very moment. (Or that was fact as of yesterday!)

[quote name='noelk27' post='671735' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:54 PM']There are Columbus Les Paul and ES 335 copies in one of Glasgow's finer used guitar emporia at this very moment. (Or that was fact as of yesterday!)[/quote]
Are there? Which shop & do you remember how much they want?

I ask specifically because I presently have a near-immaculate Columbus 335 in original hard case which I have been trying to foist on my band's guitarist. Unfortunately while he's been only too happy to play it at every practice, when I suggested he bite the bullet & hand over some money, his reaction was slightly different! :) Bloody thing's no use to me, so it'll have to go.

[attachment=37520:335front.jpg]

Pretty, ain't it? :brow:

J.

FAO interested parties - I'm going to be away for a few days & have no idea what level of internet access I'll be able to blag, so if questions, comments & PMs go unanswered until Saturday night, it's neither because I'm dead, or because I hate you all. Well, probably not.

This also serves as a bump:

Bump.

J.

[quote name='Kev' post='674371' date='Dec 4 2009, 05:38 PM']well this would appear not to be the bass for you then :)[/quote]

Oh, I wouldn't say that. :rolleyes:

Admittedly it owes a little more to Uncle Leo's other design, and would be a culture shock of some magnitude to anyone expecting Fender Geddy - style neck proportions. :lol:

J.