Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Blazer Vs P bass

KennysFord

Hey folks,
I'm toying with the idea of aquiring a P bass but as I already have an Ibanez Blazer i'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience with both and how the tone compares,also if the Blazer comes close.The one I have a 1980 Humbucker version and is strung with Ti flats.D
I stick or twist ????
I quite fancy a Tokai Hardpuncher but they're few and fare between.I'm looking at a couple of other non Fender examples as $$$$$$$$ are not in abundance at the moment.
Thanks in advance. :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='662149' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:37 PM']Hey folks,
I'm toying with the idea of aquiring a P bass but as I already have an Ibanez Blazer i'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience with both and how the tone compares,also if the Blazer comes close.The one I have a 1980 Humbucker version and is strung with Ti flats.D
I stick or twist ????
I quite fancy a Tokai Hardpuncher but they're few and fare between.I'm looking at a couple of other non Fender examples as $$$$$$$$ are not in abundance at the moment.
Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hi.
If you have the one with the single pup, three screw adjustment, poles in a row,
stick with it.
I have two Blazers, with the big pup, which was also used on Greco basses
and they offer a big full sound, equally, across all the strings.
Great bass.
If you fancy something else, I would save up and get it but don't sell the Blazer,
as I'm sure you will regret it.

Cheers.
Flat Eric :)

Hi, back in the 80's the Blazer was the first bass I owned and a USA Fender P was the second! I used them both in an 80's hard rock/metal context.

From what I can remember, the Blazer was a lot lighter and the profile of the neck was a bit flatter. Tone wise the P had a bit more bottom end, and the Blazer cut through the mids a tad better, but my Blazer had the p pup.

I'd stick, the Blazer's are seriously underated - the Supergrass guy stuck with his for years - you would have to be looking at a fair bit of dosh and/or pup upgrades to notice a difference that you couldn't get by adjusting your amp. Plus your back will love you for it!

KR, with my time pishing around with them, the most noticable differences were produced by changing pups. I wouldnt have bothered with a Bart in the Bobanez, and the Schaller was just right for it.

A Bart in a US P however is something very special if you like that deep solid thump that a P produces.

Where I not a 'dyed in the wool' completely blinded PRS person then, thats what I'd have - 1 fretted and 1 fretless US P bass both with Bart 8S pickups.

Bet you're regretting letting the Bobanez go now arent you! :)

i have a Blazer - see avatar pic right - in fact got I've got one and a half Blazer's..!

The one shown is a great bass, nice mids and growly p/ups - fretboard like butter and good weight definitely - sounds really punchy and has fab sustain..great brass bridge..gigged regularly.

The 'half' Blazer is just the body and I took the p/ups out of it and put them in a Fender Mex P bass - which strangely enough didn't really work - the body's now lying in the loft - make a neat coffee table cos the ash wood is so nice..

The Blazer's are just awesome basses...awesome. However, they aren't quite the full P Bass in tone (some may argue they are 'nicer' sounding - a touch more 'polite') but a lot of this is in the choice of pickup fitted.

If you want that throaty burble of a good P-Bass, then the Blazer will get you close without doubt, but an actual P Bass would naturally nail it.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='662363' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:07 AM']Cheers Flat Eric,
Yep,that's the Blazer I have.
I was'nt so much thinking of selling it, i'm more wondering if I should get a P for the tone or does the Ibby come close enough to save me the dosh.
Thanks again. :)[/quote]

Well, like I said - the thing that I like about the big pup ones,
is that they have a very good uniform sound.
I have a Greco GOB, with the same pup.
[attachment=36886:GOB.jpg]

One of my all time favourite gigging basses.
The blazer is pretty much the same - good spread of sound - full.
Stick the B and a P together, you must know someone who has one.
Same settings on the amp - see what you think!

Cheers.

Thanks for the help guys,
I've pulled the trigger on Kev's Vintage icon,a nicely priced entrance into all things "P" I feel.
The Blazer will be staying put.
As for Bobanez Bob me owd mucker,twas a sad farewell indeed but needs must at the time and all that.I can safely say that
yes,I was once the very proud owner.
Hope your'e keeping well Bob. :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='662149' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:37 PM']Hey folks,
I stick or twist ????
Thanks in advance. :)[/quote]

Hi there. I've owned two of the versions you have. Its not however a Humbucker as you might think it is, its just a wide coiled single coil, a bit like a big P-90. Mine were bloody great basses, first one got nicked about 16 years ago and I stupidly sold the last one about 5 years ago to buy a Rickenbacker(which is now gone) At the time of owning my first Ibanez my best mate owned a P-bass and we both prefered the tone of my Blazer, two different beasts though, the p-bass had a nicer neck to play.

Funny you mention you have strung yours with TI's, I had some on mine too and loved it! I also had a set of True bass Roto's on it for a while, Real funky!

Interested in selling your blazer??

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='664003' date='Nov 24 2009, 05:00 PM']Thanks septicrat.
Also having at one time or another two blazers and now down to one I think i'd better hang on to it.
I used it at rehearsals last night,the first time with the flats and i've decided it'll be getting gigged on Friday.
I was very impressed.
Cheers anyhoo. :)[/quote]

You'd be wise to hang onto it, you'll regret getting rid of it, I'm always on the lookout for another, the last one I had ended up selling for £700 to a collector, crazy but true!

FYI - There's a member in Cardiff called Schnozzalee who may well be looking to sell his Tokai. He offered that and a Guild Fretless for my Fender USA '57 Vintage reissue Precision, in black with maple neck and original case, but I am lookign to reduce the collection, not increase it.

Tokai Hardpuncher with USA Fender Alcino P bass Pickup in Blonde with Matching headstock and maple fretboard.

Anyway, it may be of interest to you.
Cheers
Phil