Why become a member? ×

Blueburst help

Metalmoore

As some people know i am slowly building a Fenderbird which will be a mix of the two pictures below and will be doing a blueburst finish. BUT im not sure if i should do it in a trans blue, blue,black or trans blue,black. I will be using spray cans from [url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html"]manchester guitar tech[/url] so if any advice would be great since the colours are there. I was thinking trans blue, medium blue, black but i dont think it will "flow" that well.

Cheers

[attachment=36726:Bass5_0070.jpg] [attachment=36727:Thunderbird_bass_2.jpg]

From experience I'd say that if it's your first time doing a sunburst, a three-tone might be a bit ambitious, because you're twice as likely to overspray and have to start over. That and if you use trans blue to solid blue, you'll get the effect of the apparent wood grain disappearing before it gets to the black, which could look odd.

As this is only your second refin (correct me if I'm wrong) then if I were you I'd go for a solid colour, a trans blue or a black, and concentrate on getting that perfect, and then on your third project maybe try a sunburst once you're more comfortable with the technique (burst is really hard to achieve well with cans, and even pro guys using paint guns have to train for ages before the're allowed to do bursts). If you really really want to have a go at sunburst then I'd recommend just doing trans blue to black.

Gotta love all those blue guitars :wub: The two basses look AMAZING.
I am wanting to go for something in between those two basses with the light blue going out to that darker blue with a black edge but i don't want a thick black edge like how the second bass has got a really thin black edge.

This is one of my plan's for this so far: Spray the Trans blue on the whole body, then make a template of the body similar to [url="http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burst.htm"]this[/url] and using the same technique but with a much smaller template and spray more of the Trans blue to build up a darker blue then using another template the full size of the body again like the above link and spray a thin black edge.

My other plan would be this: Using a template do the black edges first then go over the whole body with the Trans blue. I think the Trans blue over the black overspray would just make the Trans blue look darker.

Any feedback would be great.

@ ezbass: not thought about a matching headstock but am now that you've brought it up. iirc the neck i have has some nice grain on the headstock so it might look real nice.
@ maxrossell: cheers for the advice, it is my second refin but i am pretty confident about it. But i have decided just to use Trans blue and black and i am going to contact the guy from Manchester guitar tech to see if he knows hows dark the Trans blue gets once a fair amount of coats over it as i think Trans blue then black would be odd and rather have a light to darker Trans blue then black similar to Brave sir robins second bass he posted

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='660178' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:28 PM']Gotta love all those blue guitars :wub: The two basses look AMAZING.
I am wanting to go for something in between those two basses with the light blue going out to that darker blue with a black edge but i don't want a thick black edge like how the second bass has got a really thin black edge.

This is one of my plan's for this so far: Spray the Trans blue on the whole body, then make a template of the body similar to [url="http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burst.htm"]this[/url] and using the same technique but with a much smaller template and spray more of the Trans blue to build up a darker blue then using another template the full size of the body again like the above link and spray a thin black edge.

My other plan would be this: Using a template do the black edges first then go over the whole body with the Trans blue. I think the Trans blue over the black overspray would just make the Trans blue look darker.

Any feedback would be great.

@ ezbass: not thought about a matching headstock but am now that you've brought it up. iirc the neck i have has some nice grain on the headstock so it might look real nice.
@ maxrossell: cheers for the advice, it is my second refin but i am pretty confident about it. But i have decided just to use Trans blue and black and i am going to contact the guy from Manchester guitar tech to see if he knows hows dark the Trans blue gets once a fair amount of coats over it as i think Trans blue then black would be odd and rather have a light to darker Trans blue then black similar to Brave sir robins second bass he posted[/quote]

As the guy from Manchester Guitar Tech says, the trans colours will intensify as you apply more coats, so you could apply a light coat in the middle and then more coats to get a more intense blue as you go out towards the black edge. Then for the matching headstock you could do it in a uniform trans blue to match the "in-between" colour. Also, when you do the black edges, watch out for "speckling" on the fade.

Either way, best of luck with your project and I really look forward to seeing it when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='672947' date='Dec 3 2009, 10:42 AM']IMO there's something not right about the combination of blue and pale natural wood.[/quote]

:)

I disagree - Its my favourite! :rolleyes:

No burst, but I love the colour combination.

Edited by Mikey R