Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 vs SWR Baby Baby Blue... I need to decide

urb

Hey chaps/chapesses

Just thinking of re-jigging my smaller set up and selling my trusty Baby Baby Blue combo and traiding it in for a BG Shuttle - then running that through an Epifani 112 - it's a no brainer really but I'm quite attached to the BBB but it lacks the power I want in a smaller set up and I also need a slightly bigger cab/speaker for that as well.

Any thoughts on the subject would be welcome - the BBB is still in great nick and sounds wonderful (the tube action is super sweet) so it may well become available in the BC marketplace soon.

Thanks for your time on this

Mike

Hey Mike - how you doing?

While I don't have specific experience of the Baby Baby Blue to compare with, I just wanted to vouch for the GB Shuttle. I'm now using a Shuttle 6.0. Most of the time, since I'm generally going through the PA, I just put the Shuttle into an Acme Low B1 (1x10) which I have up on an angled stand and use it as an onstage monitor.

On those occasions where I'm not going through a PA and need to shift a bit more air, I put the Shuttle through my trusty old SWR Bigfoot (2x12). Both setups give me a glorious sound (IMHO!). I can officially say that I have no GAS for any more amplification (at least until the Bigfoot dies of old age)!

Incidentally, before getting the Acme, I used an Epifani UL 1x10 in the first of these setups. Didn't do the job at all - no bottom end and it generally farted out at any kind of volume. The Acme is a whole other world. I'd be worried that the Epi 1x12 you're thinking about might be closer to my Epi 1x10 than to the Acme B1.

Anyway, I just can't say enough good stuff about the Shuttle - tone out of the box is just great for me - I don't generally touch the eq on it at all. And I like SWR - used to have an SM400, a Bass 750 and a Workingman's 10 and loved the tone on all of them - so I'd say the Shuttle's tone is likely the same ballpark as your Baby Baby Blue.

Karl

Incidentally, Mike, if you go for the Shuttle 6.0 instead of the 3.0 you get a good tube front end - sounds like that's one of the things about the BBB that you'd want to keep. And the Acme B1 really does sound like a bigger cab, so it may eliminate your hankering for a 12. I was amazed when I first heard it. But you need quite a bit of power to get the best from it, so again, I'd recommend the Shuttle 6.0 over the 3.0.

K.

I'd agree, the Shuttle 3.0 isn't really loud with an 8 ohm cab (BF Compact, in my case) which can be good and bad, inasmuch as it doesn't feel like it ia moving a lot of air, BUT, at higher settings you do move the output stage into it's soft clipping/limiting phase which I find articulates rather like a valve amp power stage. It's not an unpleasant "I'm clipping nastily and am going to blow up soon" sound, but a certain amount of grit is added that you might like.
With the 6.0 you might find that it's too loud to comfortably get it to that stage.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Jules

[quote name='karlclews' post='658126' date='Nov 18 2009, 02:23 PM']Incidentally, Mike, if you go for the Shuttle 6.0 instead of the 3.0 you get a good tube front end - sounds like that's one of the things about the BBB that you'd want to keep. And the Acme B1 really does sound like a bigger cab, so it may eliminate your hankering for a 12. I was amazed when I first heard it. But you need quite a bit of power to get the best from it, so again, I'd recommend the Shuttle 6.0 over the 3.0.

K.[/quote]

I'd go with Karl on this. Valve pre of the Shuttle 6.0 into the Acme B1 (raised up on something) would sound great! Might not sound all that different to your BBB though Mike (which I thought sounded fantastic!).

[quote name='karlclews' post='658121' date='Nov 18 2009, 02:18 PM']Hey Mike - how you doing?

While I don't have specific experience of the Baby Baby Blue to compare with, I just wanted to vouch for the GB Shuttle. I'm now using a Shuttle 6.0. Most of the time, since I'm generally going through the PA, I just put the Shuttle into an Acme Low B1 (1x10) which I have up on an angled stand and use it as an onstage monitor.

On those occasions where I'm not going through a PA and need to shift a bit more air, I put the Shuttle through my trusty old SWR Bigfoot (2x12). Both setups give me a glorious sound (IMHO!). I can officially say that I have no GAS for any more amplification (at least until the Bigfoot dies of old age)!

Incidentally, before getting the Acme, I used an Epifani UL 1x10 in the first of these setups. Didn't do the job at all - no bottom end and it generally farted out at any kind of volume. The Acme is a whole other world. I'd be worried that the Epi 1x12 you're thinking about might be closer to my Epi 1x10 than to the Acme B1.

Anyway, I just can't say enough good stuff about the Shuttle - tone out of the box is just great for me - I don't generally touch the eq on it at all. And I like SWR - used to have an SM400, a Bass 750 and a Workingman's 10 and loved the tone on all of them - so I'd say the Shuttle's tone is likely the same ballpark as your Baby Baby Blue.

Karl[/quote]

Karl - I'm good and good to hear from you!

Thanks so much for all this info - really helpful - I'm definitely set on a Shuttle - but I like the 3.0 as it is just so lightweight and small and I'm keeping my Epi UL502 as my main big rig - plus I have an Epi UL210 that shifts major air when I need it - I'm actually thinking if I get an Epi 110 I can always added it to the 210 and have a nice stackable 310 - I honestly can't think I'd need any more power/wattage than that at the moment. I've tried the Shuttle 3.0 with this speaker and I really love the sound, though based on your comments re the 6.0 if I see one for a good price I'll certainly consider it - but then I'll have two 600watt amps! I really do want a super small but powerful setup and having put the GB 3.0 up against a Mark Bass III today I can confirm that the GB really held its own.

Once again though guys all the input extremely helpful and massively appreciated

I hope to see you around at some point Karl - drop me a line and we should meet up

Cheers

Mike