Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender Mustang

Les

Decide to stop being sentimental and get rid of this to fund a purchase.

I was told years ago that it was a 68, not sure but don't think thats far off. It's been refretted many years ago cos' it had so much wear it wasn't playable. It all works as it should and could do with a decent set up and a clean. It has 17 411 109B stamped on the body end of the neck.

So if you can help please, any ideas how old it is, and what should I be looking for it ? Will obviously put it on here before ebay.

[attachment=36494:S7300251.JPG] [attachment=36495:S7300252.JPG] [attachment=36496:S7300253.JPG] [attachment=36498:S7300254.JPG] [attachment=36499:S7300256.JPG] [attachment=36500:S7300258.JPG] [attachment=36501:S7300257.JPG]

This is a very nice bass and worth proper dosh in it's own right - not to mention the butterbean tuners[quote name='wateroftyne' post='656262' date='Nov 16 2009, 07:15 PM']Butterbean tuners!!

It's going to be 68-ish. I think the butterbean tuners lasted longer on the Mustang than the Jazz.

Oh - did I mention the butterbean tuners?[/quote]

Oh, I thought I told you not to mention them.

I think that out of the three ''competition stripe'' series , this nice orangey colour is the rarest. :rolleyes:
These were available in red/blue/orange from '68-'71 if I remember correctly.

If this was in 'showroom' condition, it would probably go for around £7-800.00
Being a BC I would have offered around £600.00 and have been very happy.

This one looks cool in a punk way :lol: It's missing the rubber thingy's in the saddle.
(shouldn't be too hard to find)

Not sure of the value of yours tho' . Why not keep it,hang up or something? :)

Looks nice...

[quote name='Musky' post='656350' date='Nov 16 2009, 08:24 PM']The neck is dated Oct '69 (the last three numbers stamped on the neck) which matches the serial number, so that's a more likely realistic date of assembly.[/quote]

Thanks Musky thats useful

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='656354' date='Nov 16 2009, 08:26 PM']I think that out of the three ''competition stripe'' series , this nice orangey colour is the rarest. :rolleyes:
These were available in red/blue/orange from '68-'71 if I remember correctly.

If this was in 'showroom' condition, it would probably go for around £7-800.00
Being a BC I would have offered around £600.00 and have been very happy.

This one looks cool in a punk way :lol: It's missing the rubber thingy's in the saddle.
(shouldn't be too hard to find)

Not sure of the value of yours tho' . Why not keep it,hang up or something? :)

Looks nice...[/quote]

It does look quite good actually Ray. I've had it a very long time and it's time to move it on to someone who'll hopefully play it. I can't get on with the scale. Thanks for the pricing info.

Les

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='656479' date='Nov 16 2009, 10:02 PM']That's a really nice looking thing. To give you an idea, Vintage and Rare have a '69 refinished Mustang up for £995, so if yours is original, I'd say it's worth at least £1500 as a starting price. Of course, I could be undervaluing it hugely, but it's a good point to start from.

Rich.[/quote]

A good guide, but it's worth bearing in mind that V&R's published prices are notoriously... 'optimistic' :)

[quote name='Les' post='656757' date='Nov 17 2009, 10:28 AM']Probably worth more to a collector than a player.[/quote]
I'd play it rather than hang it up if I had it. I gig with the modern version, but unfortunately I'm only gassing for a daphne blue one without go-faster stripe & of course with lollypop tuners. Yeah - I know - fussy, but if I did get one in any other colour, I'd still want a blue one.

Know what you mean JLP. Thing is it's been hanging up under the bed so to speak for nearly 30 years. Bit of a shame really.

If I could get on with the scale I'd play it too. It sounds good. I got it when I was about 16 or 17 for about £50 and I loved it, then I bought my first full scale bass, a Precision, and that was that. Maybe I had smaller hands etc. when I was 16 or 17.

Les