Why become a member? ×

My First Stack

parker_muse

Hey guys,

After gigging extensively in the south west, i've realised it's time to make the jump. Normally i play through my bass f/x box straight into DI, getting some back through the moniters. However, at the latest gig i played through a Peavey head into a Marshall 4x10 and the difference was just unreal. It's got my heart set on a stack but i'm useless when it comes to amps so i ask you the men and women of basschat for advice!

I play in a ska/punk/dub/indie band (yeah, really) and i play with a pretty 'phat' warm sound but i like a good punch for when taking the lead (i play some slap and have a lot of tasty running basslines). My budget is about 400 and i would go second hand if it meant i could get better gear.

I'm thinking a pairing of a 4x10 and a 1x15 would do give me the sound i want? Or is that not right? Also, what head would you reccomend? Weight or size isn't an issue on anything, i'm in a 6 piece band and 4 of us are 6'4 rugby players!

Thanks guys,

Parker

Definately keep an eye out for some second hand Trace Elliot stuff. My first stack was a Trace and it was awesome and cheap to boot. Another one that has already been mentioned is Hartke, again reasonably priced used gear always pops up and is well worth a shout, as too is most of the Ashdown stuff.

Its definately worth trying out as much as you can though. Good luck.

There are always amazing deals in the Amps for sale section on this website, my Hartke stack sold for £300 and that was a 4x10 paired with a 2x10 with tweeter! amazing tone very sorry to see it go. It was also my first "stack".

Soundwise you could probably try a larger 15" or 18" speaker cab with a 2x10 on top i was amazed at how much punch and mid/top end i got from a 2x10 great for projecting your notes clearly and precisely you can easilly pick both up at about £100 each or less, leaving you £200 for a head which is more than enough for a 200 - 300 watt head second hand!

My set up is in the forsale section. Peavey firebass 700 = 700watts @ 2 ohms. 475 @ 4 ohms and a trace elliot 4x10.

With a good 4x10 I'm not sure you will need a 1x15 as well. But its up to you.

I used to play Linkin Park and limp bizkit style band. This rig had plently of power and volume.

I found this was a very good set up for playing in a rock band. You can have both for £400 if you want it. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67081"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67081[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I've never liked the sound of 15" or 18" spealers, despite being a low and rumbly 5-string slinger. For me 10's just have it.
I'm collecting pennies for a second cab to put under my Marshall MB 2x10 combo, went to the store, tried a 4x10 against a 1x15 (both in addition to the inbuilt 2x10 naturally). The 10's just kicked the arse of the 15 from here to next week.
Something to bear in mind is that a single 15" speaker only has very slightly more surface area than 2 10's, but a 1x15" cab generally tends to be the same size (albeit lighter and cheaper) than a 4x10 with almost twice the air-moving surface. Plus 10's respond faster so give more clarity.

YMMV of course, but I'd definitely recommend doing what I did. Go to a local shop, pick a head you like the look of and try a few combinations of cabs out.

if you double your budget you can buy my stack :):lol: all ampeg!:lol: warm as hell itself! yet has meaty tones if you need that too:) and with a 410 and 115 set up you have a hell of alot of versatility!:rolleyes: good luck finding a new rig man! message me if you are interested i do realise that thats your budget but if osmehow it changes feel free to send me a pm:)

[quote name='NickH' post='669558' date='Nov 29 2009, 10:19 PM']Something to bear in mind is that a single 15" speaker only has very slightly more surface area than 2 10's, but a 1x15" cab generally tends to be the same size (albeit lighter and cheaper) than a 4x10 with almost twice the air-moving surface.[/quote]

True.

[quote]Plus 10's respond faster so give more clarity.[/quote]

Myth. The 15s you tried probably had underpowered motors, or the cabinets weren't big enough.

S.P.