Why become a member? ×

Ishibashi Music

AndyTravis

Hi folks,
Has anyone used Ishibashi Music in Japan before?
I've spotted a used precision on there, and i've emailed them to take it further.
I was really just wondering how people got on with them, the process of waiting, being stung for import duty etc.

I did email them last year, but the bass i'd seen was sold, so didn't get much further.
Fingers crossed this time.

Any wise words?
Andy

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='652503' date='Nov 12 2009, 11:59 AM']Hi folks,
Has anyone used Ishibashi Music in Japan before?
I've spotted a used precision on there, and i've emailed them to take it further.
I was really just wondering how people got on with them, the process of waiting, being stung for import duty etc.

I did email them last year, but the bass i'd seen was sold, so didn't get much further.
Fingers crossed this time.

Any wise words?
Andy[/quote]

Have you seen the pinned 'Importing Guitars' thread in 'Bass Guitars'?

Rich

Very friendly communications but some issues over different time zones (which dragged things out). Remember (as the Importing thread will point out) that you pay c.20% tax on the total (IIRC thats the total including shipping costs) so the 'real' price is a fair bit more than the sale price simply converted to sterling.

I imported the nice 70s white P bass that beerdragon currently has for sale. Took about 2-3 weeks to get it, but that was mainly due to the slowness of customs clearance in the UK.

I've bought a bass from them before. My experiences are in the importing a bass thread. The hardest part of the process is beating the Japanese to any of the interesting basses. Not only do you have the time difference to contend with but also the fact that Ishibashi is a chain of actual stores so you're having to compete with walk-in customers as well.

On prices, as someone buying from outside of Japan you pay the slightly lower price on the store which is without Japanese sales tax (currently around 5%), but you will have to pay import duty and VAT on the combined price of the bass plus shipping (approximately 20% of the full price). The way I always look at the deal with import duty and VAT is to figure it into the final price of the bass and if you're lucky enough to avoid it count it as a bonus.