Why become a member? ×

The NEXT bass – a plan for 2010.

Musicman20

I really think now I’ve got my Fender/Ernie Ball fix. I’m gassing for an American 62 Reissue P or an American 75 Reissue Jazz, and possibly a Stingray 5, but I’m also thinking of going down a different route.

I never thought I’d say this, as they aren’t really my style of bass, but im gassing for a Warwick/Spector! Something that isn’t the traditional shape im used to, but not so far away as to be totally alien.

Warwick in particular is attracting me. I’m not even sure what a Warwick sounds like, but something about their huge popularity is drawing me in. They also seem to have many options and really kit out new owners with a bass that’s easy to maintain and comes with everything you need to look after it.

I’d like something that’s slightly traditional in design, 5 string, with an awesome tone that I’ve never heard! I’ve no idea what kind of sound I want. That makes it difficult doesn’t it hahah!

One thing that I must have is a fairly low weight. I do not want anything that will make my back ache.

I’d quite like that whole oiled wood look, perhaps a slightly lighter wood or really dark?

So many options on their site.

Great basses, and something for everyone thanks to all the variation in standard models, to say nothing of the custom options.

There is a misconception about them being heavy. My ash Corvette sounds like an angry Jazz on steroids, but is ridiculously light.

When speaking of warwicks, it doesnt get any lighter than this one:

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=14452&cl=EN"]http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkt...14452&cl=EN[/url]

Those basses sound as good as they look. I've tried 2 of them, 5 stringers, the weight is laughable, action was perfect and the tone was incredible. Avalable as 4 or 5 strings, birdseye or flamed maple top.

They are expensive, but worht every penny IME.

All I would say is, having been a MM guy, going to Warwick and then coming back to MM is.........try a few stood up for more than half an hour before you buy. The small body/long neck combo isn't for everyone. I couldn't get on with the balance with either my ash Corvette or Thumb BO4 for that reason. Loved the sound but got bad cramp/shoulder ache if I was playing longer sets, which was strange because both were about a pound lighter than my Ray4.

I've only had significant experience with a Streamer Stage II 5 string - it was heavy but not overly so. The sound was absolutely immense - very fat and very growly - I loved it! The real problem for me was the neck profile - the bass had a very thick, rounded neck shape, that whilst comfortable from the 5th fret up (string spacing was tight - a good thing for me), was too much of a stretch in lower positions. I'd say try a few Warwicks - my prejudices were blown away by the outstanding tone (and very good build quality)