Why become a member? ×

Fretless bass pick up options

Dom in Dorset

It's horses for courses like so many bass-related matters - personal preference. I prefer passive, two pick-ups is a must, and I like the clear, glassy response of a single coil. But then probably the "holy grail" fretless tone is a Wal custom, and those are active humbuckers........and then strings are an even bigger factor than for fretted....... :)
You've just got to try as many as you can really, see what the common "wow" factor is!

... and don't forget the board material. Maple, rosewood, ebony and graphite all have very different characteristics. When you then factor in the qualities of various strings (light/heavy, round/half/flat, steel/nickel), the permutations become pretty endless :)

My advice, get a bass that feels right and sounds OK and learn to get a decent sound out of it, as Henry said, it's about how you play. Others will disagree, but Jaco would have sounded just as good on a fretless Precision, fretless 'ray or, dare I say - and boy I'm pushing my luck here - a fretless Ric :rolleyes:

C

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='650555' date='Nov 10 2009, 12:39 PM']What pick up(s) do you have on yoiur fretless , why?
What do you wish that you had?
Active /passive?
I'm thinking of making a fretless , I was wondering what the most popular pick up regimes were.[/quote]

its an open market..i had emg active but really i dont think you need be swayed that way

normall passive jazz pups i feel are the most 'famous' after the likes of jaco