Why become a member? ×

Pattern Scratchplates

bethnalgreen

[quote name='bethnalgreen' post='649159' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:31 PM']Took a chance on ordering a black scratchplate for my Precision from one of the regular eBay dealers, and it was rubbish. Of the 13 screwholes, only one lined up! No problem with getting a refund though.

Anyone know any good sources for Precision scratchplates without having to pay Fender prices ?[/quote]

WD or Axes-r-us.

Aye, pickgaurds. I`m looking for a red tortiseshell one and WD want £44! For a bloomin bit of plastic! Having said that I have bought from them in the past and they always fitted. Still, for that kind of cash it should unwrap itself and fit it for ya!

Time to have a looky at Allparts.....

Jez :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='649201' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:04 PM']Aye, pickgaurds. I`m looking for a red tortiseshell one and WD want £44! For a bloomin bit of plastic! Having said that I have bought from them in the past and they always fitted. Still, for that kind of cash it should unwrap itself and fit it for ya!

Time to have a looky at Allparts.....

Jez :)[/quote]

You can get scratchplates fro about £10 on ebay ... but they don't fit and they look rubbish ..
You get what you pay for...

Highly Strung offer B/W/B at £10.95 or Black Pearl at £19.00 (+ £2.00 P&P on orders under £30).

[url="http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Pickguards__electric_guitar.html"]http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Pic...ric_guitar.html[/url]

FWIW, I got one of their scratchplates for my CIJ Jazz, and all the screwholes etc. lined up perfectly.

I think the most important thing to remember here is that MIA, MIJ, MIM, Squiers & the numerous Fender copies [u]all[/u] have different hole patterns, and you can't expect any of them to be interchangeable. Quite often they're slightly different sizes too so it's not even a matter of re-drilling your bass.

You need to make sure you're buying a plate that's intended for your specific bass.

Jon.

[quote name='MB1' post='649705' date='Nov 9 2009, 02:16 PM']MB1. :rolleyes:
Martin Sim at Sims Led will make you a made to measure scratchplate in more or less any design/material you wish! ....
worth a look! :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, that [b]certainly [/b]won't be at Fender prices :)

Who's good for MIJ P bass scratch plates?

[quote name='tony_m' post='649735' date='Nov 9 2009, 03:09 PM']Highly Strung offer B/W/B at £10.95 or Black Pearl at £19.00 (+ £2.00 P&P on orders under £30).

[url="http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Pickguards__electric_guitar.html"]http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Pic...ric_guitar.html[/url]

FWIW, I got one of their scratchplates for my CIJ Jazz, and all the screwholes etc. lined up perfectly.[/quote]

An update on the pickgaurd from highlystrung. Ordered it at 3pm and it arrived at 10am this morning. Good service but will it fit? Almost spot on is the answer, just one screw hole slightly out. Looks really good, as good as the more expensive ones I have bought in the past and better than paying £44.

But, as has been stated earlier, it might not fit all P basses as good as mine. (Jap P 57 reissue).

Jez :)

[attachment=36059:DSC01246.JPG]

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='650556' date='Nov 10 2009, 12:40 PM']An update on the pickgaurd from highlystrung. Ordered it at 3pm and it arrived at 10am this morning. Good service but will it fit? Almost spot on is the answer, just one screw hole slightly out. Looks really good, as good as the more expensive ones I have bought in the past and better than paying £44.[/quote]
Phew... *[size=1]mops brow[/size]* :rolleyes:

[quote]But, as has been stated earlier, it might not fit all P basses as good as mine. (Jap P 57 reissue).

Jez :lol:[/quote]
Indeed. As Bassassin says, they're all different - for example, the scratchplate which fits my CIJ perfectly is an awful fit on my Squier CV '60s, none of screwholes line up and there's a 2mm gap between the scratchplate and the control plate. :) Then again, I've come across a couple of places who will happily supply various Fender scratchplates off-the-peg, but if you want one for a Squier they need a tracing of the one that's already on there, so it looks like this is a common issue.