Why become a member? ×

P-bass replacement pickup advice needed

cocco

Hey guys, Im having a bit of trouble choosing a new pickup for my P-bass, let me set the scene for you.

The P in question has no onboard controls at all, is wired stright from pickup to jack and I am hoping to keep it this way, previously my settings never changed from full volume and full tone so i dont really see the need for controls, plus I have my Sans-amp BDDI for tweaking. I am hoping the P is gonna become my live bass (or at very least a backup for my Jazz). It is currently fitted with a Delano thingy (the one with the 4 massive MM stylee pole pieces) which I cannot get on with at all, I cant help but think it was designed to work with active electronics, It is far too muddy and no where near high output enough for me, It gets lost in the mix live where my jazz (which by the way has a pair of shed 'hot and dangerous' pickups) doesn't.

My first thought was the Di Marzio split P (the one in the Yamaha Attitude), but I reckon this is gonna suffer from the same problems as the Delano. Then my attention turned to the Duncan SPB-3 the 'old faithful' of the p-bass replacement pickup world. but to be honest Im not entirely sold on this idea after playing a Mike Dirnt P-bass. So now I am in a world of possible custom efforts from Wizard or possibly shed again but I dont know what I want.

Is it possible/a good idea to split a Jazz pickup like a P-bass one and just get that in? Am I asking too much to want my P to have the attack/definition that my jazz has? What can i do?

Cocco

You will not, and cannot, get the same sound as a Jazz out of a Precision. The only way to do that is to install two Jazz pickups. Which means you might as well use the Jazz...
Any good P pickup ought to do the job of sounding like a P. And why is output such a big deaal when you have the SABDDI there do sort out the level?
They are different animals, and there's little you can do to make them the same.
A P with a jazz bridge pickup comes close, probably the best of both worlds if you must use a a Precision Bass.
I'm not a fan of actives in any way, so can't help there. As far as I'm concerned, signal levels that high are best generated inside the amp, not smacked into the input socket.
Which is why I don'tuse a SABDDI either...if you have a good amp, you don't need one, except for overdrive.

I hear you man, Active ciruitry is the devil, and batteries belong in remote controls, not basses. My amp isnt the problem either, I have an Ampeg SVT CL and 8x10, both of which are in fine working order. The main issue is that the P gets lost in the mix between guitars and the kick drum live, where my jazz doesn't, theres just too much mud, I know comparing Jazzes to Ps is completely ridiculous because they are different beasts. I prefer playing P-basses to jazzes and that P with a pick and an ampeg 8x10 sound is what I want but this Delano thing is just too fussy and too modern if thats the right word for my taste.

Could do something like me - install a bridge jazz pickup. It won't give you the jazz bass sound (well, other than the Jaco bridge-only one), but it does give you extra solidity in the mix, provided you use the right pickup combination. Remember not to make the mistake of thinking that a vintage precision pickup like the SPB-1 doesn't have enough deep bass/mids - they're actually fantastically well balanced, allowing amps/effects respond just as they're intended.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='648894' date='Nov 8 2009, 04:28 PM']Try a Wizard Thumper. You lose a little sizzle, but gain a lot of output and pokier mids.[/quote]

Id disagree - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=30153"]Plently of sparkle here[/url] [b]WARNING 10 Meg wav file[/b] - that was my P bass with maple board, maple top over a hard ash body, with a Wizard Thumper. The recording isnt that great, but it does show that if your bass does zing then the Thumper wont necessarily mask it.

[quote name='Mikey R' post='649035' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:37 PM']Id disagree - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=30153"]Plently of sparkle here[/url] [b]WARNING 10 Meg wav file[/b] - that was my P bass with maple board, maple top over a hard ash body, with a Wizard Thumper. The recording isnt that great, but it does show that if your bass does zing then the Thumper wont necessarily mask it.[/quote]
I didn't say it wouldn't be zingy, just that it would be a little less zingy than with a standard-wound pickup. My experience backs that up.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='649048' date='Nov 8 2009, 07:47 PM']I didn't say it wouldn't be zingy, just that it would be a little less zingy than with a standard-wound pickup. My experience backs that up.[/quote]

Ive not tried any other pickup in the P, so Im willing to accept that the Thumper does naturally have less top. It does however suit my bass very well and Im pleased with the tone I get through my Hartke.

But thats got me thinking - it would be intersting to experiment with other pickups in that bass.

Edited by Mikey R

I've just had a Villex VP pickup fitted to my P. Comes with a mid control giving a range of sounds from a traditional P to more of a 'scooped' sound. The Villex is much smoother and cleared sounding than the standard US pup.

May be worth a look (some sound files on www.villex.com).

The output of the Villex pickups is also nearly double that of the standard US pup's. The system is passive.

Good luck

Wil

[quote name='zero9' post='651585' date='Nov 11 2009, 01:32 PM']I've just had a Villex VP pickup fitted to my P. Comes with a mid control giving a range of sounds from a traditional P to more of a 'scooped' sound. The Villex is much smoother and cleared sounding than the standard US pup.

May be worth a look (some sound files on www.villex.com).

The output of the Villex pickups is also nearly double that of the standard US pup's. The system is passive.

Good luck

Wil[/quote]

i think their concept is good
is there a uk supplier..

[quote name='mrcrow' post='651876' date='Nov 11 2009, 07:04 PM']i think their concept is good
is there a uk supplier..[/quote]

Not any more. Go direct to www.villex.com (William Villex). Great guy to deal with.

I sent him an Email and spoke to him later that day. Had the pup's in about a week.

Wil

[quote name='cocco' post='648843' date='Nov 8 2009, 04:26 PM']My first thought was the Di Marzio split P (the one in the Yamaha Attitude), but I reckon this is gonna suffer from the same problems as the Delano. Then my attention turned to the Duncan SPB-3 the 'old faithful' of the p-bass replacement pickup world. but to be honest Im not entirely sold on this idea after playing a Mike Dirnt P-bass. So now I am in a world of possible custom efforts from Wizard or possibly shed again but I dont know what I want.

Is it possible/a good idea to split a Jazz pickup like a P-bass one and just get that in? Am I asking too much to want my P to have the attack/definition that my jazz has? What can i do?

Cocco[/quote]
I use a DiMarzio and the output's pretty high in comparison to the stock standard one. It's not muddy either, you get out what you put in, like any good passive system should do. I use it with a Schaller Jazz bridge pickup and that gives me a pretty good, broad range of sounds. I'm surprised your' Delano sounds weak and muddy - maybe there's something wrong with it or the installation.

I think that passive pot configuration with pickups is very crucial even if you don't use it. 250 K (and maybe 500K) pots are pretty standard and it colors pickup's initial sound to warmer, more familiar sound. Most passive pickups are designed having in mind addition of pots in signal chain. I think that DIMARZIO model P and model J will do the great job for you. (those legendary creamy colored pups, that come now in a black cover option).

GOOD LUCK

[quote name='bassophile' post='656811' date='Nov 17 2009, 11:29 AM']I think that passive pot configuration with pickups is very crucial even if you don't use it. 250 K (and maybe 500K) pots are pretty standard and it colors pickup's initial sound to warmer, more familiar sound. Most passive pickups are designed having in mind addition of pots in signal chain.[/quote]
You can of course just use the components (resistor(s)/capacitor) without needing a potentiometer if you don't want the control.

I swapped out my S1 pickup for a Wizard Thumper. Now a problem with the vol pot is sorted I love it.
Just got a bit more beef all round to the sound now.
The S-1 pick up wasn't too bad at all either. I just wanted a bit more oomph.The S1 switch did bear a passing resemblance to a Jazz tone. That's why I binned it :)
I've got two more Precisions fitted with Dimarzio model P's. One has high output but misses a little of top end zing. The cream one was a NOS 70s find in a junk shop in the states. It's got the slightly more output than the new one but has a lot more treble and less low end.

Well I've taken the scratch plate off and upon inspection there has been some extra routing done, but the wiring looks a little bit cow boyed, not that i am any expert on wiring, but it doesnt look neat and there is a worrying amount of insulation tape. I am gonna get it professionally fitted with something and re wired, but I still cant decide what to go with, I hadnt previously considered a model P but i like the sound clips, I am still leaning toward the SPB-3 becuase i have always loved them. What is the consensus on them? I may even wait a while and get a wizard, infact that seems like the best idea at the moment, everyone seems to like them and from what I am told they are a very easy company to deal with.

I am told the orignal Model P is the holy grail if you can find one, Ive personally never played one.

Perfect tone is out there somewhere, and its up to me and my P-bass to find it :)

[quote name='cocco' post='657733' date='Nov 18 2009, 12:56 AM']Perfect tone is out there somewhere, and its up to me and my P-bass to find it :)[/quote]

and the rest of your sound chain if you can afford a £30,000 recording studio

there is a carrot out there and its a long and expensive one