Why become a member? ×

Optima Gold

beerdragon

Its time for a new set of strings i think, i've seen these Optima Gold strings, anyone tried them? i have a ser of Ernie Ball super slinkies on at the moment and i wondered how they compared sound wise. i'm happy with the EB's and was going for another set but Gold coloured caught my eye. Shallow i know :)

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=1388"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/V...?productId=1388[/url]

I had a set on my fretless and liked them - they sound very brassy and full. I switched back to the old Marleaux steels as for some reason they just sound 'right' on this bass but I have no doubt they will sound good on a fretted bass also.

Here is a cheeky pic

The silk ends are bright pink which I thought was quite cool :)

I brought a set of the flatwounds, total crap, i may have gotten a bad set ( and to be fair A-strings did offer to replace) , The E was dead as the monty python parrot, they were rough as a badgers arse and generally felt unbalanced, binned them after about 5 minutes. They did however look very pretty.

• 5 months later...

I got a set about fifteen years ago - the shop I was in at the time only had Rotosounds or something else I knew I didn't like, so I got these Optimas, at £40 a set! They surprised me by being stunningly good, not just a gimmick with the gold look - a really solid tone and nice highs, not clangy but just nice. They lasted over five years of heavy gigging on a Fender P, several times longer than I'd ever used any other set of strings. When they eventually started to go dull, I tried to find another set, and all I could find was Maxima, which were supposedly the same, so I bought three sets straight off. The tone wasn't as solid, I mean by that the basic pitch of the note wasn't as clear and the sound not as fat, and guess what they went dull at the same rate as any other strings.

So Maxima, in my opinion, aren't the same as the old Optima, and aren't anything to write home about. They're good, but these days I find Slinky nickel much more reliable, last as long, and are on average a bit cheaper. Not as good for posing though.

I still have sets of Maxima on a couple of old basses, but they rarely get gigged so they're still fine. They do sound nice, but as i say, nothing all that special.

• 4 years later...

I had a set on a bass a few years ago, Optimas from Thomann, and they sounded great for at least a year on a bass with a trem, even after they dulled to hell.

Actually, I should dig that bass out, chances are they're still on it. They had green silks though, not pink like Peds, and I'm sure they were yellow/gold for a while.