Why become a member? ×

Clicky fingers/frets

Jigster

Hi all - have done a bit of reading up on this, but thght I'd ask here - anyone get that clicky string on fret sound? OF COURSE I am always working to improve technique but seem to have noticed for the first time (not before, but have just changed amps) and the touch of the string on the frets can be heard when I'm fretting - usually higher up the f'board the D and G strings -

am considering things like the make of strings (currently fender f'wound stainless steel, 45-95)

rolling back mids/trebs/highs etc

my playing style, as in not trying to fret too hard, altho I am a pick player generally and like that robust twangy woody sound my MM gives with a pick

also wondering about the voicing of the amp..

finally, without wanting to NOT resolve this through correction etc, how much of this is heard anyway in the mix do people think?

Ta for any thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='651518' date='Nov 11 2009, 12:31 PM']Try getting someone else to play your bass without changing any settings on your bass or amp. If they 'click' too, maybe its your set up. Sounds like a mixture of techique issues and eq problems to me. Tough to say without hearing you play.[/quote]

Had the same problem myself, on analysis I was 'hitting' the string rather than picking it. maybe check that your not playing the string 'inwards' towards the pickup instead of letting it vibrate up+down. you can dial off towards the high end of your eq to avoid the fretty sound, but you may still be betting an odd tone to the note people are hearing.

[quote name='mikebass78' post='659833' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:40 AM']Had the same problem myself, on analysis I was 'hitting' the string rather than picking it. maybe check that your not playing the string 'inwards' towards the pickup instead of letting it vibrate up+down. you can dial off towards the high end of your eq to avoid the fretty sound, but you may still be betting an odd tone to the note people are hearing.[/quote]
This is good advice. Also, check your frets closely. I've (carefully!) done fret dresses on all my basses and that helped clean up extra rattles.