Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: Fretless Ric 4003 Mapleglo/VTC/Ric-O-Sound. Immaculate condittion

Beedster

To cut a very long story short I have to let my most recent acquisition go.

The Ric is immaculate, it has the VTC and Ric-O-Sound stereo out. The only flaw is a tiny dink in the back less than 3mm across which was there when I acquired it. Both Hipshot and Original bridges will/can be supplied (both have their virtues), as well as a set of original Ric flats, which produce a tone I simply haven't heard from another fretless bass, pure retro thump. This bass is stunning and I'm gutted to have to let it go, especially after all the work I've put into it, but needs must.

This is what I said about it a while back at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63678&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63678&hl=[/url]

[i]I started with original Ric strings and a Hipshot Ric bridge and to cut a very long story short have ended up with an original Ric bridge with La Bella Deep Talking Flats via TIs, Roto nylons and rounds. The bass produces a tone I simply haven't managed to get out of any other bass before - think Floyd's 'Money', Beatles' 'Taxman', Jam's 'Start' - it's just got that powerful, middy and really instant punch that even the best Precision I've played doesn't get close to. Having said that, last night we jammed Whole Lotta Love and White Room, and I could dial in that powerful bassy late 60's/early 70's bass tone to perfection. The Ric VTC is completely different to Sadowsky's VTC - whilst Sadowsky's seems to be about dropping the highs, Rics drops the lows - and using this on the bridge PUP whilst dialling in a little bit of neck PUP gives me a tone to die for. I love how tight even the floppiest of strings feel on this bass (TI Jazz flats feel like La Bellas), and I also love how playing between the PUP cover and bridge sounds COMPLETELY different to playing between the PUP cover and neck. I haven't played another bass since this finally came together, and although I'm sure the novelty will wear off, I know that it's changed my expectation of how other basses should perform[/i]

Having just read that again does make me wonder why I'm selling, but I guess this bass will never replace my two fretless Fenders and I don't want this much money tied up in what will only ever be an occasional pickup. Currently strung with Pyramid Gold flats.

Chris

[attachment=35817:Image0082.jpg] [attachment=35818:Image0083.jpg] [attachment=35819:Image0086.jpg] [attachment=35820:Image0087.jpg][attachment=35821:Image0095.jpg]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Paul_C' post='646852' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:47 PM']why don't you hire one ?[/quote]

Think I'm going to need one in the long term Paul. I've been trying to source a decent lined neck for one of either of my Fenders for a while but having thought about it a bit, and as they're both vintage, I don't really want to be swapping necks in and out too often. I considered getting the Ric lined but as its a finished board the cost would be pretty prohibitive, although if nothing comes up here I might borrow one in the short term and get it lined anyway, although I don't have the spare cash to do so at the moment.

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='646858' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:01 AM']Think I'm going to need one in the long term Paul. I've been trying to source a decent lined neck for one of either of my Fenders for a while but having thought about it a bit as they're both vintage I don't really want to be swapping necks in and out too often. I considered getting the Ric lined but as its a finished board the cost would be pretty prohibitive.

C[/quote]

you could still hire one in the sort term, and then take your time finding one if you then decide you need it

+1 to hiring .... or borrowing a lined fretless for the recording session off a BCer (I'm certain there's someone who would be happy to lend)

Seems such a shame after all the hard work you have put in to making this beautiful instrument

Good luck, whatever you choose to do here

[quote name='Paul_C' post='646870' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:16 AM']you could still hire one in the sort term, and then take your time finding one if you then decide you need it[/quote]

Agreed, and I'm looking into a loan, but as I anticipate that we're going to be doing quite a lot of recording, and as our set gets more complex and as I get more ambitious with the parts I'm playing, I anticipate needing lines more often.

[quote name='Clarky' post='646913' date='Nov 6 2009, 06:08 AM']Seems such a shame after all the hard work you have put in to making this beautiful instrument[/quote]

Tell me about it dude.

Have to be honest that part of the reason for letting it go is also financial due to my imminent career change. I'd be really happy if I could get a decent lined bass (or even a good lined neck) plus some cash for this bass. As I said, a straight sale would also suit.

[quote name='7enderhead' post='647258' date='Nov 6 2009, 02:07 PM']You've got a PM :)[/quote]

Hi mate, replied

Wish list to trade for this bass is, in order of preference, (and all lined fretless/defret) Stingray HS, Fender P/J, Fender Precision, and Fender Jazz. Obviously Fender derivatives (Lakland, Sadowsky, Celinder, G&L) are all included in the same sort of order

Cheers

Chris

I've just checked ebay prices for new/good condition Rics and, on the basis they're going for close to £2000 new I'm going to offer this for sale at £1200 or near offer on ebay. That's about what the parts cost me in total. I'll take £1000 OVNO from BCers which is, of course, almost £200 less than I paid. Price will include two bridges (Ric & Hipshot), and a stereo cable (stereo into two monos).
Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Hi Beedster,
On Ebay at the mo there's a lined fretless Overwater if you do sell the Ric. Never played a better fretless for my tastes!
Looks like a shop so they may even be up for offers.

EDIT: here it was.. ended a few mins ago! Been on twice mind..
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OVERWATER-STD-PLUS-PERCEPTION-FRETLESS-FOUR-STRING-BASS_W0QQitemZ330373484722QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4cebcb50b2"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OVERWATER-STD-PLUS-P...=item4cebcb50b2[/url]

Edited by hubrad

[quote name='hubrad' post='647684' date='Nov 6 2009, 09:29 PM']Hi Beedster,
On Ebay at the mo there's a lined fretless Overwater if you do sell the Ric. Never played a better fretless for my tastes!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OVERWATER-STD-PLUS-PERCEPTION-FRETLESS-FOUR-STRING-BASS_W0QQitemZ330373484722QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4cebcb50b2"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OVERWATER-STD-PLUS-P...=item4cebcb50b2[/url][/quote]

Hiya Hubrad
Many thanks for the post. My problem is that I've been a pretty traditional bassist for so long that anything that doesn't have a standard Jazz, Precision or MM pickup configuration is beyond my experience, hence my wishlist above. It's kinda frustrating to see a lot of basses that could do the trick on ebay or BC and not have the time to really test them. Bottom line is I need a bass that I can be pretty much confident in, and to my mind that's a Precision, Jazz or Stingray, or something really similar. Way I see it, it's either a pretty conventional lined fretless instrument or, as one of the guys pointed out this evening, a fretted P, J or 'ray which I could get defretted and lined in time, which I'm now starting to see as a potential option.
Cheers
Chris

Lined fretless now sorted. I may well keep the Ric but TBH could do with some cash so, if anyone out there is desperate to get their hands on it I'm happy to offer it for PX with cash my way or outright sale. All interesting offers considered.

Chris

[quote name='hubrad' post='648827' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:59 PM']Wotcha got then?
HUGH[/quote]

There's a clue in here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66391&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66391&hl=[/url]

I own it's fretted sister so I know the tone and playability are pretty damn good, and having played with those lines on an old Ibby maple fretless I know they work for me :)

[quote name='hubrad' post='647684' date='Nov 6 2009, 09:29 PM']Hi Beedster,

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OVERWATER-STD-PLUS-PERCEPTION-FRETLESS-FOUR-STRING-BASS_W0QQitemZ330373484722QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4cebcb50b2"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OVERWATER-STD-PLUS-P...=item4cebcb50b2[/url][/quote]

Yup,

beginning to appreciate not letting mine go after the excellent sound I got out of it last night.

Don't get me wrong Chris, I hanker after a Ray Fretless meself to go with its fretted sister but, the OW does sound a lot better. It does mellow (Talk talk) and nasal (Karn) with ease. The pre is very simple too - just like a 3 band Ray if you keep the pups flat.

[quote name='Beedster' post='652865' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:12 PM']Withdrawn, gave it a good play today, plus installed a set of Pyramid Golds, and boy it sounds lovely :)
I seem to have too many basses again (not for the first time I'll admit)
Chris[/quote]
Really glad to hear this Chris - after all that hard work (and your obvious appreciation of the instrument) I think you would have regretted letting this go

[quote name='Clarky' post='652870' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:16 PM']Really glad to hear this Chris - after all that hard work (and your obvious appreciation of the instrument) I think you would have regretted letting this go[/quote]

Cheers Clarky, you're right, problem is that it is an extreme instrument, not one for gentle noodling, you pick it up you gotta commit! We played Come Together at a gig last night and it sounded crap in the soundcheck with a Precision and crap in the gig with the Jazz. Made me realise how much I like this bass and its unique vintage tone and feel, despite the fact I will only ever use it for a few tracks and it's unlikely to ever make the '#1 Beedster Bass' spot :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='652865' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:12 PM']Withdrawn, gave it a good play today, plus installed a set of Pyramid Golds, and boy it sounds lovely :)
I seem to have too many basses again (not for the first time I'll admit)
Chris[/quote]

Cool, glad to hear it, if you put some soul into the making and tweaking of the thing, then it becomes more You and i'm sure its only going to grow on you, perhaps not right for all tracks but it may go right in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat predictably I guess this bass is now definitely for sale. I've had the opportunity over the last couple of weeks to really audit all my instruments and despite a rapidly growing sentimental attachment to this unique bass, it's only likely to get picked up once a month or so for the odd song in the odd gig, and at the present time, I could really put the money to better use.

I'm happy to take £1000 for it from a BCer. I will ebay it at £1250 at the end of the month. Note that both the Hipshot and Ric bridges will be included, as well as the original Ric strings and a stereo - 2x mono cable for when you want to use the Ric-O-Sound

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='farmer61' post='663794' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:35 PM']Hey Chris, could you make the next bass you buy a Gibson Thunderbird, I'll be looking to acquire one early next year.

Ta muchly :)[/quote]

Yeh yeh :rolleyes:

Seriously wish I could keep this. I had GAS for a fretless Ric from pretty much the moment I realised there was such a thing, and then couldn't believe my luck when the body/neck came up giving me the chance to build one up from scratch. Problem is, I've got my two fretless Fenders and they'll always be my first choice instruments, and if I don't get rid of a few soon I'm just going end up being one of those blokes who has 30 basses around the house but can't pay the bills or buy my lady the occasional pair of shoes!

Cheers

Chris