Why become a member? ×

Problems with intonation

KASH

So...changed the strings the other day, brand new Elites Player 110 - 50. Was using the Stadium series 105-45 previously. As nomal, I adjusted the truss rod and it's all fine, moved onto adjusting the intonation - the sadles don't work properly, especially the E string, I mean there's no visible difference in the tuner (i tried both ways - tight and loose the screws, although it was always flat). The saddles move as they should but i feel i needed a longer space to move them a bit further.

Now, this is a MIM Jazz, bridge Gotoh 201, the action is quite high but that's the way i play it...can a higher gauge make such a difference or are there other issues to consider? :)

I had the same problem with intonation recently. My tuner was telling me everything was ok but the intonation was definitely out. I tried another tuner with the same result. It was solved by a visit to '7String' (now known as the doyen of setups) who worked his magic along with a Petersen strobe tuner, everything was resolved and the world made sense once more.

Thanks Hutton :)

The problem could be your tuner not being sensitive enough. The gauge you've changed to isn't that far away from your old set, so the saddles shouldn't need too much adjustment.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='645271' date='Nov 4 2009, 02:15 PM']Sometimes the screw on the saddle can move but the saddle doesn't. Loosen everything and yank the saddle itself to where you want it to go.[/quote]

I agree. You can also do this when the strings are on. Just shove the saddle with your thumb in the appropriate direction. You might hear the spring clang a bit, buts that's fine.

Edited by 7string

thanks for the replies guys. the saddles [i]do[/i] move as they should. Is it the tuner? it's been working fine and the light is still bright red (Boss TU-2) - an try and change the batery though. The thing is, it doesn't sound [i]really [/i]out of tune to my hears, and some of the harmonics are atually in tune, but when it's a fretted note...well the tuner says it's not.

How close are the pickups to your strings? And how powerful are the magnets? If they are too close or ridiculously stong, they can have an adverse effect on the natural vibration of the string causing the sounded notes to ring out of tune.

Can't promise but try dropping your pickups right down and try again.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='645454' date='Nov 4 2009, 04:53 PM']How close are the pickups to your strings? And how powerful are the magnets? If they are too close or ridiculously stong, they can have an adverse effect on the natural vibration of the string causing the sounded notes to ring out of tune.

Can't promise but try dropping your pickups right down and try again.[/quote]

not very close, stock fender mim jazz pickups and my action is quite high...I'll try a new battery on my tuner tonight and see if i notice any difference

Remember the higher the action the harder it is to set the intonation because of the extra stretch you have to put on the string before reaching the fret.

I tend to do a lot of my set ups at arms length to my PC and rather than go and fish out a tuner I just plug in to [url="http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html"]this[/url] excellent wee app.

I found my TU-2 to be too flakey at times - not had any such flakiness since getting my DT-10.