Why become a member? ×

Drums

alexclaber

indeed.

Back on topic - the more instruments you play (try and play) the better your bass playing becomes. I naturally play different things on the piano than I would on the bass - translating stuff back and forth is a good way to expand your repertoire.

Although I suppose the opposite argument is that every hour you spend playing piano/drums/zither is an hour you're not practicing your bass technique. If you never practice on the bass because you are so busy playing every other instrument, obviously your chops will suffer.

Got a kit in the garage play it regularly, not well but with good feel and solid time (technical limitations allowed for)
Got a piano can busk chord charts and read slowly (decent knowledge of voicings)
Got a guitar so have a reasonable knowledge of chord shapes (although my harmonic knowledge is far stronger than technical ability)
got loads of percussion (not bad with an egg, can keep a nice groove with a cahon)
I sing (not well but I have a very good ear for harmonies and can usually pick them out better than some singers)

All of the above adds tremendously to my position as the core (read bass player) of the band which I'm grown up enough to say I do very well. I'm solid, musical, dependable, not too loud, and care more about the whole sound than what people think of my abilities. There are many better players in the world than me which is great cos it means I will have a challenge hopefully until I die, preferably (although I hope not to distressingly for others) on stage.

Jake

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='138769' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:52 AM']indeed.

Back on topic - the more instruments you play (try and play) the better your bass playing becomes. I naturally play different things on the piano than I would on the bass - translating stuff back and forth is a good way to expand your repertoire.

Although I suppose the opposite argument is that every hour you spend playing piano/drums/zither is an hour you're not practicing your bass technique. If you never practice on the bass because you are so busy playing every other instrument, obviously your chops will suffer.[/quote]
But what's more important? Technique or creativity? So long as you can play the stuff you imagine in your head, who needs extra chops?

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='138769' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:52 AM']If you never practice on the bass because you are so busy playing every other instrument, obviously your chops will suffer.[/quote]

Though the chops that matter when playing 99% of basslines are nothing to do with speed and everything to do with tone, timing and dynamics.

Alex

I play bass for my serious band, guitar at home, and drums for my "just a bit of fun" band, which is turning out to be quite good! The drumming itself is easy stuff to play, and i've been playing around with drums for ages, so it's not that difficult, but the stamina you need to be a rock drummer! I'm so knackered after 30 minutes of practicing I need a break!

I have my first gig as a drummer on saturday and i'm quite nervous about it, getting the kit set up right and in time, not making any stupid errors etc. I think mistakes on the drums will stand out way more than they do on bass.

[quote name='Josh' post='138343' date='Feb 11 2008, 05:36 PM']Bad thing is it's gone a tad bit too far on me, by which I mean, if I hear a great drummer, perfect sound, great fills, the lot and then I see them live and his set-up is all off and his technique is shoddy, I just can't accept to liking them. I just love to see a drummer hit hard, with a nice flat set up and just making the song that bit better.[/quote]

Some very notable players have "bad" (I think its relative) technique eg Pat Metheney hangs his thumb over the top, but have you heard what he can do??
I think its a shame that you let your eyes decide whats working for you, use your ears man.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='138774' date='Feb 12 2008, 12:10 PM']So long as you can play the stuff you imagine in your head, who needs extra chops?[/quote]

I quite agree. But from my position (as an obviously not-very-good bassist) I'm not yet at the stage where I can play the stuff I can imagine in my head. I'm maybe 70% comfortable with how I play. There's a way to go, though.

[quote name='alexclaber']Though the chops that matter when playing 99% of basslines are nothing to do with speed and everything to do with tone, timing and dynamics.[/quote]

I do agree. But make the same point - the skill level on this board seems to be pretty high. There still are those of us here who are still practicing to get a reasonable sense of tone, timing and dynamics, though.

I am the same as you Alex. I can play very simple beats but I have more ideas in my head. A lot of the drum beats and grooves for my older drummers I wrote. This helped me lock in tight when the drummer did play them. I always seem to have all this grooves and drum beats but don't have the skill to play them.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='138777' date='Feb 12 2008, 12:13 PM']Some very notable players have "bad" (I think its relative) technique eg Pat Metheney hangs his thumb over the top, but have you heard what he can do??
I think its a shame that you let your eyes decide whats working for you, use your ears man.[/quote]

My ears do decide what sounds right but like I said I just like it to look right at the same time, the same goes with basses, both aesthetics and tone will affect my decision, but hey that's just me and if that rubs people up the wrong way well then oh well. I'll guess that some people have looked at the videos and immeadiatly disliked the drummer because of the way he's got his kit set up, we're all turned on and off by certain things musically , be it little such as not the right grip or in some cases things such as Hi-Hats that reach above the cymbals, or in a bass perspective, small things such as if the player doe's or dosen't move his/her thumb whilst playing or to stuff like "Correct" or "In-Correct" slap technique.

Edited by Josh

So what happens if, say you've only heard a bass player on a record, and he's super awesome and inspirational; then you see him live after listening to his lines every day for five years, and he has 'inefficient' / 'unattractive' technique. Does your opinion of him go down?

Not having a go or nuffink, I'm genuinely interested. I'm a big fan of shambolic music, indie stuff that sounds ragtag and as if it's about to fall apart at any moment. I don't much like videos of perfect technical proficiency etc. Just wondering how the other half lives...

Edited by Cantdosleepy

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='138904' date='Feb 12 2008, 03:04 PM']So what happens if, say you've only heard a bass player on a record, and he's super awesome and inspirational; then you see him live after listening to his lines every day for five years, and he has 'inefficient' / 'unattractive' technique. Does your opinion of him go down?

Not having a go or nuffink, I'm genuinely interested. I'm a big fan of shambolic music, indie stuff that sounds ragtag and as if it's about to fall apart at any moment. I don't much like videos of perfect technical proficiency etc. Just wondering how the other half lives...[/quote]

A bit of a hard question to answer, most if not all the bassist's who I listen to and draw inspiration from, I have seen in certain capacities, such as live and recording. But as you said, your not one for Technical Proficency, that's what hooks you in to a bass player or drummer or whoever. Whereas I like to see good examples of good technique to thus inspire me to further perfect my own technique, I can't see how thats wrong in some peoples eyes.

[quote name='Josh' post='138910' date='Feb 12 2008, 03:14 PM']A bit of a hard question to answer, most if not all the bassist's who I listen to and draw inspiration from, I have seen in certain capacities, such as live and recording. But as you said, your not one for Technical Proficency, that's what hooks you in to a bass player or drummer or whoever. Whereas I like to see good examples of good technique to thus inspire me to further perfect my own technique, I can't see how thats wrong in some peoples eyes.[/quote]

i don't think it's really the fact that you like people with good technique it's just the fact that you seem to hate anyone who has "bad" technique even if they sound awsome. I'm not having a go i'm just saying maybe that's how some see it. Any way let's face it you can name ANYTHING and it will be bad in some people's eyes.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='138922' date='Feb 12 2008, 03:31 PM']i don't think it's really the fact that you like people with good technique it's just the fact that you seem to hate anyone who has "bad" technique even if they sound awsome. I'm not having a go i'm just saying maybe that's how some see it. Any way let's face it you can name ANYTHING and it will be bad in some people's eyes.[/quote]

I don't recall saying I hate anyone with incorrect technique, I'm just not that interested in the player if they dont show anything(Technique being one of those) in their playing that appeals to me, but I still appreciate what they are doing. Trust me some of the guys on here would not be interested in my playing at all simply because I play Warwick basses or I might not demonstrate what they prefer to see in their bass players, I experienced that first hand at college. But your right anything seen as "Good" in one persons view is definetly going to be seen as "Bad" in the other, and that will always be the case.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='138847' date='Feb 12 2008, 01:55 PM']My ears do decide what sounds right but like I said I just like it to look right at the same time, the same goes with basses, both aesthetics and tone will affect my decision, but hey that's just me and if that rubs people up the wrong way well then oh well. I'll guess that some people have looked at the videos and immeadiatly disliked the drummer because of the way he's got his kit set up, we're all turned on and off by certain things musically , be it little such as not the right grip or in some cases things such as Hi-Hats that reach above the cymbals, or in a bass perspective, small things such as if the player doe's or dosen't move his/her thumb whilst playing or to stuff like "Correct" or "In-Correct" slap technique.[/quote]

of course aesthetics allowing, its horses for courses, each to his own et al. Point taken. :)