Why become a member? ×

Fretless project

XTOFMARY

Next year I will come to live in Northampton.
I would like to make build a new bass guitar (designed by my son and myself) by a luthier, if possible not too far
from where I live, in a way to get a better interaction on the project if necessary.
Who do you suggest me to work with ?

Here is some photos of this new project:

That neck/body joint looks interesting! Bolt-on or through-neck?

There's a fairly comprehensive (and growing) list of luthiers [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=253"][b][u]here[/u][/b][/url]. There's quite a few within easy travelling distance of Northampton.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='69751' date='Oct 4 2007, 10:52 PM']That neck/body joint looks interesting! Bolt-on or through-neck?

There's a fairly comprehensive (and growing) list of luthiers [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=253"][b][u]here[/u][/b][/url]. There's quite a few within easy travelling distance of Northampton.

Pete.[/quote]

(and at least one who lives IN Northampton :) )

P.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='69751' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:52 PM']That neck/body joint looks interesting! Bolt-on or through-neck?

Pete.[/quote]

Pete, thank you for the luthier list. I will check more in details the ones who are close to Northampton.

Regarding the neck/body joint, I have not choosed yet. I would like to discuss with the luthier I will choose to work with, what could be the best solution in this case for him.

[quote name='Steve_K' post='70202' date='Oct 6 2007, 01:27 AM']What materials are you wanting it made out of? Wood/Carbon/Plastic?[/quote]

I would like to use carbon fiber for the neck but I would like also to make it in a way that would fit better with the experience of the luthier.
It has to be discussed and then decided.
Steve_K, what do you think about it ?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='71202' date='Oct 8 2007, 06:27 PM']That is cool looking! Very nice!

More details please? Have you decided on materials, pickups etc?[/quote]

Thank you BigRedX for your nice comment.
More details on materials and pickups ? To be honnest, I have not yet thought about it. I would like first to listen to people suggestions in a way not to close any possible interesting solution. It could take a bit of time, but that what is great in doing such project.
All your suggestions are good for me, and I will apreciate a lot such help.

Being absolutely honest - material and pickups are going to have a big influence over the sound. If you don't know what you want then I would suggest that you try different basses.

I have been compiling an ultimate composite of bass properties over the last couple of years to find my perfect bass which comprises of Mahogany body for growl, Wenge neck for quickness, Ebony fretboard for solidity and brightness and Single coil Precision pickup for my perfect tone. I am having this bass made just now.

There are many different woods you can use for bodies, necks and fretboards from Afzelia to Zebrano as well as ebonol and carbon-fibre that affect the tone

If you pick the wrong components and you don't like the sound at the end of it then you will get tuppence and a button if you sell the bass again.

Edited by Delberthot

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the long black-out on this project. It has been definitely kicked off last Saturday, when I have met [b]Robbie [/b]from [b]RIM custom bass[/b].
We very quickly agreed about the spirit of this project, and left open many technical issues, in a way to take time to think on it together.

One specification has changed with respect to the initial project: the 5 strings fretless is now changed in a 6 strings fretted. But the design will remain roughly the same.
As soon as I will got (and Robbie too) new pictures or photos of it, we will put them on this forum to share with you its building up.

Any advice from your side will be appreciated a lot.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='217325' date='Jun 12 2008, 12:57 AM']This next bit would be better off in the build diaries thread.[/quote]
Indeedy!

But hats off to you (XTOFMARY) for really pushing on with this and to Robbie for being the man to do it - having played a couple of his basses you're in good hands! Will be an interesting build :)